Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It has a long list of modifications too, are these recommended?

Yes, most of them. There's a mod that adds some extra areas but last time I played I found them unfinished and super lame so it's up to you. I think there's one that makes you recover all mana during sleep. It makes the fighting completely pointless once you get the mass destruction spells like Asphyxiate or Nuclear Blast because then you just queue up Nuclear Blast, hold ESC until everything is dead, sleep, replenish all mana, rinse and repeat. Magic in W7 is balanced by the fact you can only replenish mana with magic food.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
TIL that when you save on trap and later reload, the trap activates again, applying all damage and effects again and potentially fucks up your whole playthrough. That's just some unfair shit.

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why the Cosmic Forge Editors 'Attach to Running Game' feature gives me an error about 9 of 10 times but then suddenly works on the 10th attempt, for seemingly no reason?

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sadly he didn't mention that you can import a party all the way back from 6 to 7 and then to 8, which even has gameplay consequences, would have definitely blown the mind of some people

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, not only it's on sale on GoG (1.79€) but you can get it for 0.89€ (until may 12th) still on Gog with Sseth's code (pinned comment under his video).

It's a steal.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My favourite part of that vid is probably how all the things he says sound like jokes, but that's actually how the game looks/works :lol:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
old-skool nerdy grognardery has average 1 million views per video

Market's there, fucktards. A lot of us MMOers took one too many arrows in the knee and are looking to settle down into some single-person cRPG nostalgia. Wizardry, Gold Box, Baldur's Gate, whatever. Just make it not suck/no faceroll/no trans dicks in face.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I started my first playthrough of wiz6 in normal difficulty. I went with an "orthodox" party, 2 fighters (lizard and human), 1 ninja (Dracon, it was going to be a fighter, but I rolled like 26 bonus points or so), a fairy bard, a gnome priest and an elf alchemist. After I got used to the combat the first part of the game went pretty easy, now I'm in the mountains (And I hate the bats).

Mapping was a pain in the ass sometimes, I had to redraw the -1 floor of the castle because didn't fit in my notebook, but so far in the game I have not found yet any of the classic disorienting traps of the first 5 games. Will be some later in the game?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No, the most challenging area to map are the mines; seven or so small interconnected levels wits lots of stairs between levels.

Reality

Learned
The mines can be annoying if you are being honest with your graph paper map because it has up/down stairs WITHIN the dark zones. The dark zones even later in the game are always in single-floor areas, so they practically don't matter.

I think the Pyramid requires some pit-fall jumping to get through, but it's pretty straightforward, felt more like a combat problem than mapping area (almost every random encounter having magic enemies for the first time)

All the lategame stuff is pretty basic.

Max Damage

Savant
I'm playing Wizardry 1 SNES version, and one thing that I can't help but notice is that in original Wizardries and ports you level at appropriate speed for this kind of game, while leveling speed (and progression in general) is at lethargic pace in every japanese Wiz 1-5 successor I've played so far, excluding Elminage series maybe. I don't know why, but Japan seems to love pointless padding so much that it makes a thrilling dungeoneering experience into miserable one. Add here cutscenes and walls of text, and every innovation becomes much less fun than just dying to bullshit groups in Wizardry and then sending out 2nd party to retrieve the corpses. It feels like East has the heart in right place, but just can't help adding modern cancer into airtight gameplay loop. I dread returning back to "Wizardry" Tale of the Forsaken Land because it's a slog compared to any version of Wiz 1, and this is coming from someone who's generally tolerant to jRPG quirks. As for SNES Wizardry 1 itself, I'm loving it so far, thieves can hide and ambush in this version, 2D art is sweet, and music is nice, 5 critical hits out of 5.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't know if I'm gonna miss the spinners or the "one direction" paths, but I'm loving this game. The manual was vague in the explanation of attributes and other things so I read Jasede's explanations of character creation, it seems there are things that don't work as intended or really doesn't matter at all.

Tomorrow I'll be fully exploring the mines.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
How painful was Wiz8 to just jump into with little prior knowledge? I remember playing it quite far but never finishing it and the Sseth video is giving a bit of a bug to jump back in. It's been a while so I have probably forgotten most of it (other than using the crevices at the side of Arnika road to survive that trudge and to use a speed-up mod). I was killing some horned assholes at some mountain I think, but can't remember for sure.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sseth gives actually a lot of very useful tips among all the memery funny moments. I don't think it's too hard, if you don't go too extravagant with your party composition

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How painful was Wiz8 to just jump into with little prior knowledge?

8 was the first Wizardry I played and I jumped into it completely blind, so I would say not at all. The game is actually very well-documented and user-friendly thanks to the plethora of in-game tooltips for everything.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not at all except one thing: level scaling coupled with random encounters. It's very easy to level up too high without gear to support it and thus turn any random encounter into a torture as Sseth colourfuly showed. You just have to keep in mind that it's not necessary actually level up some char before others (some classes differ in that regard) - game recognizes only current highest level, not available ones. So simply keep level 5 max until you get to Arnika and you'll be fine.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Not at all except one thing: level scaling coupled with random encounters. It's very easy to level up too high without gear to support it and thus turn any random encounter into a torture as Sseth colourfuly showed. You just have to keep in mind that it's not necessary actually level up some char before others (some classes differ in that regard) - game recognizes only current highest level, not available ones. So simply keep level 5 max until you get to Arnika and you'll be fine.
In my playthrough levellling up was always a good idea. Enemies get better stats and more HP, but you get that + new spells and abilities.

Max Damage

Savant
Wizardry 8 is one of the easier entries in the series, you also don't have to roll for stats and are free to make any kind of party you want from the start. This is one of my favorite character builders ever, so many races, classes, skills and personalities to pick from :love:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Wizardry 8 is one of the easier entries in the series, you also don't have to roll for stats and are free to make any kind of party you want from the start. This is one of my favorite character builders ever, so many races, classes, skills and personalities to pick from :love:

The only thing I dislike about it is how you can always chose from all the portraits and I don't know which Mook portrait is supposed to be male or female.

Reality

Learned
The set encounters have fixed levels so going gung ho leveling up won't hurt you there

My understanding was that the enemies were put into encounter sets for every 5 levels of the party - so a level 1-5 set, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, and so on until you reach 41+
I think my average game would finish around lvl 22-26 so I've never seen most of the monsters on the higher end.

Honestly I found even being at the bottom of 11-15 /16-20 isn't so bad. The only one that really destroys you is being at the bottom of 6-10 when first entering Arnika Road (the 6-10 set for some Mid-game areas is actually EASIER compared to Arnika Road)

I kind of recommend the typical don't bring avg party level over 5 in Monastery thing - Every time I haven't, I spammed the Combat Run command in most of the combats you get in Arnika Road - I know it's doable, but the level 6-10 set in Tyrnton or even early Mountain Wilderness is MUCH more doable and from there you can just level up normally for the rest of the game.

I agree that this is the easiest fresh party start Wizardry Game (I think it's 3rd easiest import party start)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom