Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Finally bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GoG. I might have time to play Wiz 6 , but I certainly won't have the time to dig into the system during party creation. Is the predefined party ok or horribly bad?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finally bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GoG. I might have time to play Wiz 6 , but I certainly won't have the time to dig into the system during party creation. Is the predefined party ok or horribly bad?

I never bothered with them, but honestly in those days often it was better to roll your own party than use the pre-defined one, as they were usually not well min-maxed to even a slight degree and you can do much better with a short time investment

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Finally bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GoG.

I never bothered with them

tenor.gif

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What's a paladin predefined party?

I started the game 1 week ago and I don't recall seeing one.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's a paladin predefined party?

I started the game 1 week ago and I don't recall seeing one.

Both Wiz 6 and 7 had some predefined characters you could use, instead of rolling your own, I don't remember if Wiz 8 had them as well. Never used them

That said, depending on where you got your copy of the game from, these might have been deleted

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Both Wiz 6 and 7 had some predefined characters you could use, instead of rolling your own, I don't remember if Wiz 8 had them as well. Never used them

That said, depending on where you got your copy of the game from, these might have been deleted

I'm playing a steam version that some user in this thread give away years ago. Strange considering that it should be an "official" release or so.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I'm playing a steam version that some user in this thread give away years ago. Strange considering that it should be an "official" release or so.

I'm pretty sure the GOG release has the predefined chars

That said, I never touched the Gold version of W7 on either Steam or GOG, maybe that one hasn't predefined chars, but then I wouldn't advise playing the Gold version in general

Reality

Learned
I recommend not using them, but for reference these are the premade chars.

Wiz 6

Human Fighter
Mook Fighter
Felpurr Thief
Elf Priest (Charm + Heal Wounds)
Dracon Mage (Energly Blast + Sleep)
Gnome Mage (Chilling Touch + Armor Shield)

Wiz 7 (DoS)

Human Fighter
Lizardman Fighter
Hobbit Thief
Gnome Priest (Heal Wounds + Make Wounds)
Dracon Mage (Energy Blast + Chlling Touch)
Elf Alchemist (Acid Splash + Heal Wounds)

The 6 names are the SAME per class for the two games even though the Race Changes
[ Theseus, Tempest, Lysandr, Nobal, Treon, Pentag ]

Of these scrubs - at the VERY least, you should probably drop 1 of them per game to have a player made Bard Charather.
The Elf, is probably the most salvageable, because Elve's are ALWAYS within 2 level ups of reaching reclass requirements for a Mage>Priest>Mage>Priest loop

The Magic Charathers also managed to mess up their Starting Spell selection, which can be especially annoying at low levels. A BAD player made single class mage is still better at low levels for the most part because you can start training fire/water magic together at low levels for example, instead of ran out of spell points for my only spell and be forced to spam parry.

In Wizardry 8 there is no randomness in Charather generation, so there's no excuse not to do it yourself there.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks. My issue is that the game comes from a period where you could make a char with perfect rationale, having studied the manual for hours, only to learn later in the game that the char sucks due to the game's design. (E.g. having a thief in the EoB games -- makes no sense but you won't know this before you play for hours.) Bard it is, then...

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm just playing through Wizardry 6, I'm at the pyramid at the moment, and I'm loving it at the moment. Game design is goddamn good, and the maps are well designed, and I keep getting impressed by the writing, it's very evocative and memorable, but probably due size limitations, the descriptions or the writing isn't too long like in some modern games (*cough* Pillars of Eternity *cough*). Anyone know any books which has similar setting and writing with Wizardry 6?

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
... and I keep getting impressed by the writing, it's very evocative and memorable, but probably due size limitations, the descriptions or the writing isn't too long like in some modern games (*cough* Pillars of Eternity *cough*)...

Absolutely agree. The writing in Wiz6 reminded me of what a good DM would do, narrating and giving descriptions of locations as your characters would see them.
The writers of PoE, on the other hand, seemed to have a competition going on. The one that finds the most synonyms of a word on thesaurus.com and could cram them all in one sentence wins.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
... and I keep getting impressed by the writing, it's very evocative and memorable, but probably due size limitations, the descriptions or the writing isn't too long like in some modern games (*cough* Pillars of Eternity *cough*)...

Absolutely agree. The writing in Wiz6 reminded me of what a good DM would do, narrating and giving descriptions of locations as your characters would see them.
The writers of PoE, on the other hand, seemed to have a competition going on. The one that finds the most synonyms of a word on thesaurus.com and could cram them all in one sentence wins.

POE also flipped between overly flowery prose and Wikipedia entries often within the same conversation or scene.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm thinking of replaying Wiz8, are there any good mods that add content to the game?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm just playing through Wizardry 6, I'm at the pyramid at the moment, and I'm loving it at the moment. Game design is goddamn good, and the maps are well designed, and I keep getting impressed by the writing, it's very evocative and memorable, but probably due size limitations, the descriptions or the writing isn't too long like in some modern games (*cough* Pillars of Eternity *cough*). Anyone know any books which has similar setting and writing with Wizardry 6?

When I replayed Wiz 6 it reminded me a bit of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad for some reason.

Elwro

Arcane
I really want to play Wiz 6 but it seems that to create a nice party I need to be lucky on my dice rolls, and you can't repeat a roll until you finish the whole character. Is that true or am I missing something?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, that's true, but you don't need that many dice roll to get a bonus roll. Shouldn't take more than an hour to roll a decent party.
IIRC you can now use an editor to speed things up.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
I'm not spending an hour on this [was my first thought] since I don't know if I'll like the game itself.

I read in a few places that the Cosmic Forge editor allows one to increase the number of bonus points [so that I can have that Felpurr Samurai]. However, I have no idea how to do that. Any pointers?

edit: for posterity, use the 'Patches' menu

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Uff, I'm in the pyramid now apparently, I should have grind a little bit near the mine's fountain, but I'm too impatient. The lack of "wide range" offensive spells is starting to affect me. It seems was a bad idea start with an alchemist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom