Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #3: ZIETS ZIETS ZIETS

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Colin McComb; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Monte Cook; Mur Lafferty; Planescape: Torment; Tony Evans; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Seeing as the game's funding has continued to skyrocket, inXile felt the need to release another Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update with additional stretch goals...and boy, is it good. I'll go over its contents one by one.

First of all, there's a video featuring Colin McComb, which will be a part of a series of videos describing various aspects of Torment's design. This episode is about the game's themes.

Second, starting from tomorrow there will be a new $28 tier. The tier will be limited, much like the original early bird $20 tier, and will contain a digital strategy guide and a digital copy of Colin McComb's novella, in addition to the game and manual. Colin's novella will also be added to the $35 and $45 tiers.

Third, the 1.5 million dollar stretch goal has been retroactively modified. It now includes a new game area called the Crystal Dimension. Similarly, the 2 million dollar stretch goal will also a receive a new area called the Ruins of Ossiphagan. Furthermore, also for the 2 million dollar goal, writers Mur Lafferty and Tony Evans will be writing their own novellas, and Colin McComb will be doing a Let's Play of Planescape: Torment, providing developer commentary as he goes along. It'll be interesting to see how he compares with Adam Brennecke and Chris Avellone.

The main attraction of this update, however, is the new 2.5 million dollar stretch goal. If that funding goal is achieved, George Ziets will join the game's writing team. While he apparently can't work on the game full time, this is still awesome news that will put a smile on many a Codexer's face. And if that's not enough for you, the new stretch goal will also add a a new novella by Monte Cook, a new mystery companion, and a new area called Castoff's Labyrinth, which will be a "continuous stretch goal", much like Project Eternity's Endless Paths megadungeon. And the cherry on top - if the new stretch goal is reached, Colin will send out a videotaped apology for his notorious Complete Book of Elves. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    ZIETS!!!!!

:dance:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    McComb is great. Very good video.

Edit: I talked to quite a few people who weren't very interested in the game before the Kickstarter, but were completely sold by the videos and info. Great job, inXile!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Too bad I've already pledged all I can afford, otherwise I would've probably increased the amount.

^ Top  
  5. Jashiin Arcane

Jashiin
    Yes his video's are great. He hates doing them it seems, which is a good thing. Most people enjoying that sort of attention are not the type that have something meaningful to say.

^ Top  
  6. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    CMcC or Sawyer, which is better and why? Discuss!

Stretch goals looking better. Writing samples and location concepts are decent enough. I kind of feel like the nature of kickstarter forces them to give up on the mystery that made Torment so much better, but I suppose that's unavoidable.

^ Top  
  7. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    I think Colin is a good face/personality/speaker for this project. Even if he does hate doing videos. :( (which I can understand. I'd hate to do that crap). heh

^ Top  
  8. jewboy Arbiter

jewboy
    As an introvert myself, I feel sympathy for McComb having to be in the public eye like that and watched by thousands of people. It sounds truly awful to me like a mild form of torture.

^ Top  
  9. Jashiin Arcane

Jashiin
    It's called torment for a reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  10. MasPingon Arcane

MasPingon
    Another great video, keep it coming

^ Top  
  11. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    I actually laughed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Now I am happy. Increased my pledge to 75$ to get all digital except Cook's core book. I was pondering at physical tiers, but I realised that nowadays I just skim through them and let it rot. Sure I could sell them later for the profits, but I am afraid, I wouldn't dare to, so they will stay somewhere in the cupboard rotting...

I would be happy to buy digital version of core book from Numenera site if they allow it (right now it is just hardcopy for $60 + $20 shipping).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yep. I'm one of 'em. Great Job!

Also: Great Job, Ziets!

^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Stop talking to yourself. :troll:

But yeah, I anticipated this would happen. What happened is that people had their own conceptions of what this game would be, and they didn't like those conceptions.

inXile's pitch shunted those conceptions aside and replaced them with a concrete, and very attractive, reality.

They never hated Torment: Tides of Numenera. They only hated what they thought it was.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. himmy Arcane

himmy
    I like to think that right now Ziets is brushing up his resume to read "George Ziets: Designer, Writer, Stretch Goal"

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    2 stretch goals even.

^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    ^ Top  
  19. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
  20. Sacred_Path Unwanted

Unwanted
    he's not quite as naturally bubbly/ quirky as Sawyer is in his vids, but then he's probably also not as fucked up (who doesn't like parties?)

Fangirling aside, they should man up and tell us more about DEM TIDES

^ Top  
  21. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    someone please make a headphone-bobbing Colin's head

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    And I am surprised no one has re-done this yet (with inXile):

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    Somebody should convince Inxile to hire Neal Halford from Betrayal at Krondor. BaK is ten times better than Torment...

^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Kirtai Augur

Kirtai
    That so brings back memories of the PS:T main theme without being the same.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)