Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake) coming early 2020

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Okagron Erudite

Okagron
    I'm just glad the original is finally in the west instead of being stuck in the "Square Enix refuses to release this game outside of Japan" list. Plus the remake looks interesting, might give it a try.

^ Top  
  2. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Personally I think the original is actually quite overrated. It's an OK game, but it gets very old & very predictable very quickly.

Glad to see the remake. Hopefully they will improve upon the original.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    I think 2 (Secret of Mana) is probably more fun because of all the different weapons and the great music that keeps it really catchy all the way through. But I still hold this one in high regard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Luckily for those who were worried (or not), the original Super Famicom release of SD3 has also been retranslated. And it has already been leaked and is perfectly playable on emulators.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    But that's not what the thread is about...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ent Learned

Ent
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    The day/night cycle was pretty cool in this game, esp. if you took the wolfman.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. jungl Learned

jungl
    this looks exactly the same exact game but now fully 3D. Vissually better then secret of mana. So if you don't care about visuals you should just play the snes ones.

^ Top  
  9. Ent Learned

Ent
    Combat seems to play out differently in the remake. Theres jumping, combos and input specific special attacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Hassar Educated

Hassar
    I agree. I actually played through SD3 when I was way younger and thought the first SoM/SD2 was more interesting. Some of the character designs are just bad and all of them are basically generic stereotypes. Passing on this with the full understanding that I am not the target demo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Eh

That sounds more like it kinda devalues party composition and upgrade system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Arkeus Arcane

Arkeus
    I don't think it will devalue upgrade system just with the capacity to switch weapons.

Anyway, looking at the video a lot of differences stood out. Much smoother gameplay, jumps are a thing 'tells' of bosses are a thing, you can 'reserve' the bars for the specials, there is a no 'agility' (which was a dead stat)...

Yeah, looks good.

^ Top  
  13. Ent Learned

Ent
    I don't think being able to pick from multiple weapons would devalue compositions all that much. The thing that really affected party compositions were the spells unlocked from the class changes. Also, while the devs did state that they would be doing something to address characters being locked to one type of weapon all game the actual character selection screen doesn't actually state that they can use anything other than their default weapons - my guess is that the character will have variants on their base weapons with slightly different movesets rather than being able to wield a different weapon class altogether such as Kevin using slashing attacks when equipping claws as opposed to regular punches when using knuckles and gloves.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)