Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Wunderbar

Arcane
Oddity xp is too gimmicky. Why my character gets experience from finding random garbage?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't fuck up your game - choose oddity XP. This way you are hunting for items and exploring the world, and I'm telling you this is the biggest and coolest hand-crafted world to explore in a recent RPG. With combat XP, you are just hunting for combat.
:deathclaw:
It doesn't matter if you just explore everything anyway. Who the fuck will play this game,or any RPG and not explore everything?
Things get overlooked sometimes. You go somewhere and you are too low level, later you are too lazy or forget to go back and try again. I've explored most of Lower Underrail but not everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oddity xp is too gimmicky. Why my character gets experience from finding random garbage?
Why does your intelligence raise from shooting things with guns. It's an RPG man.
It is like in real life,doing shit makes you learn shit. That is why the elder scrolls have one of the best levelling systems.

Things get overlooked sometimes. You go somewhere and you are too low level, later you are too lazy or forget to go back and try again. I've explored most of Lower Underrail but not everything.
That is you mate,i did explore everything,that is the fun part of the game after. Being curious about what you could find after the next corner or what is in this big facility that have high level enemies :).

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That is you mate,i did explore everything,that is the fun part of the game after. Being curious about what you could find after the next corner or what is in this big facility that have high level enemies :).
That's the thing. I'm more curious about places I haven't yet been to than about places I've been to and have then moved on.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why does your intelligence raise from shooting things with guns. It's an RPG man.
Classic mode: you get xp from killing stuff, which will happen naturally as you progress since Underrail is mostly combat-oriented game.
Oddity mode: it gives you an incentive to explore, but you're going to explore anyway, so in the end it just looks like you're levelling from collecting junk.

Your face is gimmicky
no u

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classic mode: you get xp from killing stuff, which will happen naturally as you progress since Underrail is mostly combat-oriented game.
Oddity mode: you get xp from exploring, which will happen naturally as you progress since Underrail is mostly an exploration-oriented game.

And if you think kill XP is even the least bit "realistic" then I don't know what to tell you fantadomat

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Oddity mode: you get xp from exploring, which will happen naturally as you progress since Underrail is mostly an exploration-oriented game.
there is just a lot of trash oddities.
Imo, completed quests should give you more XP, oddities should give you much more XP but also should be much rarer.
Maybe divide oddities into different categories, like common (rathound's ear), rare (diving helmets, periscopes, pre-war stuff) and unique (some lore related items, biocorp items, faceless items).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imo, completed quests should give you more XP, oddities should give you much more XP but also should be much rarer.
Maybe divide oddities into different categories, like common (rathound's ear), rare (diving helmets, periscopes, pre-war stuff) and unique (some lore related items, biocorp items, faceless items).
Different oddities give different XP awards. Didn't you notice?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Different oddities give different XP awards. Didn't you notice?
i noticed, but there's like 1 xp difference.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Oddity mode: it gives you an incentive to explore, but you're going to explore anyway, so in the end it just looks like you're levelling from collecting junk.
I see it more like "Classic mode rewards combat, oddity mode rewards exploration".

And this "you are going to explore anyway" is just as valid as "it's a combat oriented game" - you are going to be killing things anyway.

Black Angel

Arcane
That's not exactly a fair assessment, considering some oddities are hidden in off-limit areas and in a random (and not-so random) NPCs pocket. Another thing that's kind of ignored in Underrail is a thief-playstyle. Stealth and pickpocketing system is probably the best cRPGs has to offer in recent time, and Oddity system is there to make it shine even brighter.

Parabalus

Arcane
Oddity would be better if you didn't have to farm mobs for the low droprate ones.

Stealth is recommended so you can skip the tedious final areas.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Meanwhile expansion is still not released!

What if Styg is contemplating selling it through Epic store? The horror!

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
i noticed, but there's like 1 xp difference.
The highest I've seen gives 4 or 5. Anyway, I think they are documented in the wiki, and if not, you can check ingame. There is a list of all the oddities you have and you are missing.

Different quests do give different amounts of xp. Completing the Arena for example gives you 5 oddity xp. Other quests I've seen give 2 or 3 oddity xp. Play the game before you talk and mislead others.

To be honest I've never really farmed xp per se, I've always been going through an area because I've been curious to learn more about the world.

Parabalus

Arcane
Beast scale gives 6xp.

Biggest issue is oddity and classic are neck-to-neck xp wise until you clear junkyard, than classic overtakes it so fast it isn't funny.

Black Angel

Arcane
Oddity would be better if you didn't have to farm mobs for the low droprate ones.
This again? I thought someone else has pointed out you don't even need to farm them because there are more oddities than you need to hit level cap. Basically, you simply go explore places, clear it out, and that's all. Merely exploring every nooks and cranny, AND finish side-content is more than enough to get you to lv. 20+, that by the time you get to DC, you're only one level (maybe 2, 3 at most) away from the cap. And DC's chokeful of oddities by itself, too.

Meanwhile expansion is still not released!
You fuck! Now another thousand micro-issues just pop out in the Black Sea :negative:

Parabalus

Arcane
This again? I thought someone else has pointed out you don't even need to farm them because there are more oddities than you need to hit level cap. Basically, you simply go explore places, clear it out, and that's all. Merely exploring every nooks and cranny, AND finish side-content is more than enough to get you to lv. 20+, that by the time you get to DC, you're only one level (maybe 2, 3 at most) away from the cap. And DC's chokeful of oddities by itself, too.

With classic XP you easily hit 25 before institute by doing the same (or even much less).

The oddity system is cool and novel, but if you're gonna explore everything anyway it's just moot. With classic you hit the cap faster so you can skip combat (better, since no low % drop oddities), and skipping combat is oddity's biggest draw.

Last edited:

user

Savant
With classic you hit the cap faster so you can skip combat (better, since no low % drop oddities), and that's the biggest draw.

Good thing I chose oddities for my first playthrough then. Deadfire had traumatized me on that regard.

Rolled a psi, wrecking everything (rathounds) on hard, behind doors! Seems animals can't open doors, who would have thought.

Black Angel

Arcane
With classic XP you easily hit 25 before institute by doing the same (or even much less).
And that's a good thing, because?

The oddity system is cool and novel, but if you're gonna explore everything anyway it's just moot. With classic you hit the cap faster so you can skip combat (better, since no low % drop oddities), and skipping combat is oddity's biggest draw.
Except Styg has scaled and balanced the content appropriately and accordingly with the number of oddities available so that players can be at the level where they can find them not too easy and still challenging. And I don't mean just combat; being able to stealth through places, picking locks and hacking security to gain access to off-limit or even hostile areas become challenging and not outright impossible, too. At least, that's what my experience is.

Also, again, you're completely ignoring the fact that you don't even need to farm for low drop oddities, because, again, simply exploring places and completing quests can get you to the levels you really need to face the next content.

Sykar

Arcane

Oddity is superior to Classic imho. Simple brain dead grind brings you nowhere. You have a small quota to fill but beyond that you can do what you like, skip as much combat as you want, etc.
And as Black Angel has said, what is the point of being so tremendously overleveled so early and have nothing left for DC? Oddity is supremely paced.

Parabalus

Arcane

Oddity is superior to Classic imho. Simple brain dead grind brings you nowhere. You have a small quota to fill but beyond that you can do what you like, skip as much combat as you want, etc.
And as Black Angel has said, what is the point of being so tremendously overleveled so early and have nothing left for DC? Oddity is supremely paced.

There are two distinct points here:

1.) Oddity is tuned to be harder (slower leveling) than classic

2.) Oddity is something novel and adds to the exploration/gameplay experience

How does oddity add something substantial, beyond being a cool gimmick for the first run?

If I was gonna explore everything, going oddity doesn't change how I'll play in any way, except maybe making pickpocket more valuable (and being sad about the aforementioned drops, like pig snouts) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom