Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

ushas

Savant
Shotguns also seem to do more damage to a single target when used on overwatch.
It should be noted that shotguns don't do firing cone when you OW.
Yeah, that's a good point. They work in OW as other guns. Damage increase is prob. there to compensate for the cone, right. So I gave one to a sniper's second hand just for ow purposes. Do grazed limbs work in ow?

All shotgun perks also require high Instinct, and Arcadi starts with +2 in there, looks all right.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Shotguns also seem to do more damage to a single target when used on overwatch.
It should be noted that shotguns don't do firing cone when you OW.

Yeah, that's a good point. They work in OW as other guns. Damage increase is prob. there to compensate for the cone, right. So I gave one to a sniper's second hand just for ow purposes. Do grazed limbs work in ow?

All shotgun perks also require high Instinct, and Arcadi starts with +2 in there, looks all right.

Yeah, this is a hard one to solve on a technical level. Not impossible, but it doesn't really offer that much to the game in relation to time taken compared to other work that could be done. That said, I'd like to make another turn based game, so in terms of future benefit it would be more worthwhile.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I found interesting that I'll have to take into account on my next playthrough is that once your main combat skill is maxed out, you'll pretty much stop leveling up. I can still gain levels from using medical, bypass, crafting, and surveillance, but attacking is the lion's share of XP. This isn't a bug or necessarily a worry, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, it seems like there might be some kind of bug when you get to 139 in a skill. When I got firearms to 139 and almost a full bar, my next shots seemed to level it up 1-2 times each shot (or at least I was getting skill up notifications) until it was at 150, then it stopped going up. This took me from level 18 to level 19 very quickly, and I went from level 17 to 19 in one battle.

I do want to say that this is a fun game, though. I've beaten it on vigilante and got two bosses left to go on hard boiled. I plan to play through it at least once more on hero.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Also, it seems like there might be some kind of bug when you get to 139 in a skill. When I got firearms to 139 and almost a full bar, my next shots seemed to level it up 1-2 times each shot (or at least I was getting skill up notifications) until it was at 150, then it stopped going up. This took me from level 18 to level 19 very quickly, and I went from level 17 to 19 in one battle.

I'll have a look at this one

Risewild

Arbiter
Timeslip

I have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to make it so when the Shop reaches the maximum level, to replace the graphic bar that says "Shop Level: 19" with a "Shop Level: Max".

It could even be replaced with the Workshop graphic for Max Level and it would still look better than just "Shop Level: 19".

Gy7mMGN.jpg

uDqZoL1.jpg

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Yeah, that would make sense. I'm just working on bugs in this update, but I've copied this into a word document for later attention.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
One thing I found interesting that I'll have to take into account on my next playthrough is that once your main combat skill is maxed out, you'll pretty much stop leveling up. I can still gain levels from using medical, bypass, crafting, and surveillance, but attacking is the lion's share of XP. This isn't a bug or necessarily a worry, but it's something to keep in mind.

It's a fair point, but keep in mind that you gain a lesser amount of skill from being in the presence of allies using their skills, so if you have focused on close combat, and your allies are using ranged (or vice versa) you'll make gains there.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/545600/discussions/0/1729837292646372968/

rule34 out there yet?
just curious.asking for a friend. anyone find any for this game yet?

Timeslip [developer] 20 hours ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

*Puts fingers in ears* LALALALALA....

Vigilantes: The Dating Simulator

"Sam Contino may be waging a one-man crusade against crime, but deep down he's just looking for love. Will he melt the heart of stone-cold killer Elena, break out the handcuffs with Emilia, or take foxy blonde Caia for a spin? Or will he succumb to the temptations of forbidden love with a feisty survivalist or sexy Mafiosa? Choose your own path to romance in Vigilantes: The Dating Simulator, coming soon from Timeslip Softworks."

ushas

Savant
Could be mistaken, but seems there is one interesting aspect of gang ambush across saves. So you target a district and maybe the fight didn't go well, load an autosave, hit the place again and... bam ambushed! We know where had you been before, save scummer!:oops:

ushas

Savant
Re Controlled Breathing, seems this perk got cooldown removed. Can use it every turn and it also cancels penalty.

I think Arcadi was the third ally I got in this game I am playing.
I can't remember if the first was Ray or Emilia, but Arcadi only appeared for me after those two.

During early access game randomized which ally encounter you got 1st.
hmmm.
Checked from my save before you encounter companions. It always gives you Arcadi. 10 times out of 10.
Got Arcadi as the first and Caia as the second on my play. Just quick tried a new game on two other difficulties, both Arcadi. Then moved the config directory, complete fresh start, him again. No statistically significant number of tries, but so far it's always Arcadi over here. It could be that he has just higher probability to pop up.

Risewild

Arbiter
Got Arcadi as the first and Caia as the second on my play. Just quick tried a new game on two other difficulties, both Arcadi. Then moved the config directory, complete fresh start, him again. No statistically significant number of tries, but so far it's always Arcadi over here. It could be that he has just higher probability to pop up.
I am pretty sure zeitgeist is right and I was wrong. I also started a new game and Arcadi was the one that appeared right away without any newspaper articles or anything.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Re Controlled Breathing, seems this perk got cooldown removed. Can use it every turn and it also cancels penalty.
I still have cooldown on version that I play and game got patch yesterday.
Besides why not just turn it into flat passive bonus if cooldown can be overridden?

ushas

Savant
Great! Will check it out later on. Having non steam build. Edit: Yup, update helped, CB is back at cooldown for me in v1.01.
Might be interesting to have another perk that flat out gives X skill points. You can put it into firearms for passive bonus.

I am pretty sure zeitgeist is right and I was wrong. I also started a new game and Arcadi was the one that appeared right away without any newspaper articles or anything.
Ok, thanks. Recalling things used to got backed on a game start, so you guys got me curious if Arcadi could be something like that. It's most probably given then.

If I may have a wish for one of the future updates, would like for replay if there could be also an option to opt for fully randomized order of allies.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer

Besides why not just turn it into flat passive bonus if cooldown can be overridden?

Arcadi is always first now. It wasn't really a big thing, but it made more sense from a story perspective, as his encounter is more a product of circumstance, whereas the others are actively going after the gangs. All builds are now updated as of last night.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/545600/announcements/detail/1683676666068136803

Vigilantes V1.01 & What Happens Next!
20 October - Timeslip

Hi everyone,

Vigilantes version 1.01 is now available. This update focuses exclusively on fixing bugs and the bugs which have been addressed are listed at the bottom. The crunch period for the release of Vigilantes began 10 weeks ago, and it's been relentless, 70 hour weeks since then. With the update out, (and assuming the discovery of no new severe bugs) I'm going to take a break from development to recuperate.

So what happens next?
The intention is to continue working on Vigilantes for a period of time.

How is Vigilantes likely to change in the future?
With a finite amount of time left to work on the game, the addition of new, large scale features is unlikely, primarily because adding features is time consuming, will reduce the stability of the game and simply will not provide the greatest benefit to the game in relation to the amount of time that is available.

A significant amount of feedback mentions quality of life/interface improvements and providing better information on game systems as areas that need attention - these areas will be addressed.

Game balance will also get attention, and I believe adding content, such as new perks, equipment, diary entries and encounters will add value for new players, and freshen up the game for veterans considering “one more game”. In order to gather your feedback in a structured way, one thread per topic has been set up.

[Quality of Life & Interface]
[Game information]
[Content – perks & equipment]
[Balance Thread]

While I won't be actively developing Vigilantes during the rest-break, I will continue to drop in to the forums for a chat :)

Have a good weekend,
Daithi

Fixes
+ Worked around an issue causing a crash the first time an enemy is knocked out. This is caused by a problem establishing a connection with Steam. The work around allows the predicted <1% of players experiencing the issue to play Vigilantes, but achievements will not be registered.
+ Fixed issue with players or enemies equipping MK4 trauma kits preventing further action.
+ Fixed being able to fire shots through walls on urban playground map.
+ Fixed surveillance kit giving +5 bypass rather than +5 surveillance
+ Fixed issue on Kurt Renko map in which unobstructed tiles are unwalkable, if you select the wait option.
+ Fixed encounter with the boxer, survivalists attacking police, recurring.
+ Fixed stat modifications from ally relationships not being factored in loaded games.
+ Fixed utility items being removed in error during load / save
+ Fixed a couple of instances where 3d models were not correctly mapped to tiles
+ Fixed AP not updating after reloading, firing and using trauma kits
+ Fixed bonuses from a close deployment carrying over into subsequent missions
+ Fixed incorrect description on tactical baton upgrade and bug which allowed tactical baton to be upgraded to itself repeatedly
+ Fixed firing position not being taken into account for overwatch purposes
+ Fixed multiple strafe from cover attacks causing a crash, if subsequent clicks occur too quickly.
+ Fixed game input becoming locked if a firearm jams when making a targeted attack
+ Fixed increasing the stats of one character, switching characters using the character portraits, and reducing the same stat in another character
+ Fixed issue with using prowess on Emilia in the "From the Past" encounter reducing Sam's relationship with himself!
+ Added a minimum delay between clicks on end turn button to prevent mis-clicks and potential interference with enemy turns
+ Fixed using Team reload causing the creation of a "ghost" stack of ammo, if the exact number of bullets needed to reload a weapon are in the inventory
+ Reduced the number of decimal places in the display strings of a number of derived stats
+ Added a potential fix to an issue with the game not progressing after a double shotgun blast. This fix is not definite, as the information in the log file didn't reveal the exact cause.
+ Fixed an issue with a player character having their HP reduced to 0 when moving through fire not having their turn ended.
+ Fixed certain encounters allowing you to spend more cash than you have.

Iron Balls McGinty

Arcadi is always first now. It wasn't really a big thing, but it made more sense from a story perspective, as his encounter is more a product of circumstance, whereas the others are actively going after the gangs. All builds are now updated as of last night.

You have earned a long lie in bed this sunday.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
It took Sam's Angels 15 hours, but Reiker was finally rid of evil-doers. Left without their superiors low level gangbangers fled the city in droves. Citizens felt safe, and karate dojo signups soared due to four brave warriors showing everyone just how much you can achieve with fists and warrior's will.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finally managed to kill a lieutenant on Hero difficulty. I'm hoping that means that things will start looking up. It's hard when you can't go to the same location twice without getting ambushed by a lieutenant with over 100 HP and all his minions have around 60-80 HP.

It was July 11, and Sam was level 17. At least you level up faster, since it takes so many more attacks to bring down the bad guys and you need to use medkits more often.

ushas

Savant
Congrats you three above.
Yeah, leveling in battling as soon as possible is probably most effective. A bit behind over here, work getting in the way and such. But already taken down the church boss (perhaps won't be bad to add a post battle dialogue or diary entry here?) and currently am tackling the rest of the lieutenants down.

I will go all Bronson on Hero difficulty, later.
Heh, my thoughts too.

How do you guys manage to keep friendly NPCs alive? Gonna replay Silvestra Venturi encounter with a construction worker, got decimated ten levels back. Am thinking to expose some of my guys and throw a smoke grenade on him...

Btw. looks all normal on the steam front. Captain Jean-Luc Picard himself recommends the game. One other reviewer claims it crushed his interest in Divinity OS 2. Timeslip got nominated for a Nobel price. And the overall rating is back to very positive. Nice.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
How do you guys manage to keep NPCs alive? Gonna replay Silvestra Venturi encounter with a construction worker, got decimated ten levels back. Am thinking to expose some of my guys and throw a smoke grenade on him...
When I did Venturi it was with late game team. High bypass so I could "decapitate" boss quickly. Ray also had taunt & lucky lighter to draw hostile attention to him.
Construction worker initially ran behind shack on lover left of the map if you use default camera view.

After early game its usually best to run & hide with temp allies. They really don't have equipment to be viable fighters.

ushas

Savant
How do you guys manage to keep NPCs alive? Gonna replay Silvestra Venturi encounter with a construction worker, got decimated ten levels back. Am thinking to expose some of my guys and throw a smoke grenade on him...
When I did Venturi it was with late game team. High bypass so I could "decapitate" boss quickly. Ray also had taunt & lucky lighter to draw hostile attention to him.
Construction worker initially ran behind shack on lover left of the map if you use default camera view.

After early game its usually best to run & hide with temp allies. They really don't have equipment to be viable fighters.
Thanks. Will try something like that. Yeah, usually run with them to hide too, but not always manage. They also seem to have lower APs/initiative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom