Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess Fargo is a cheap bastard for the game and instead spends the $$$ going to concerts and wasteland / bardstale Fanservice conventions.

Actually, for more post demon apoc action I'll with the new DOOM. I'm betting some indie guy has something far better in the works. I can live with the smoothing of animate profile pics and special effect probably similar to the trilogy remaster but that HUD and overland/maps???

i need the pepto now.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There are too many remasters and remakes over the years.Why not a remaster of text adventure games for a change?
You know i was watching a youtube video about this in books, tv series, movies, and cartoons. Often, there is some re-imagination or total departure from the source material (Thundercats go).

I would have liked to see a tactical combat mode since they are making the party icon look like a figurine. Oh well. I still think most of this hardly even compares to BG or Fallout. Hell, I think Vogel's art might trump this.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Also, it's not like the rat is the worst of the bunch, it was just the easiest for me to find the VGA art so that I could do a 1:1 comparison.

Here's another:

ss_3bcac24c52569c783d485509c2b6c411968db5a3.1920x1080.jpg

For some reason I can't embed this image, but here's the original:
wl_074.png

So, a few things.

This one actually is *not* an overpaint. As you can see, the artist has changed the position of the gun, which in turn has changed the position of the ranger's arms. The direction the ranger is looking is also changed. I believe this is because the new illustration is not a perfect square, and the artist thought that have the gun pointed that way would be more realistic or dramatic, but the effect is generally for the worse. For instance, the ranger patch, which is a focal point of the original, is now replaced by the watch as the focal point. (FWIW, I actually read the "watch" as an identity bracelet in the original, but I guess it's probably a watch.) The canteen is also downgraded in prominence (possibly turned into a pouch of some kind). The original soldier looks quite heavily laden with gear, but the new one is missing the backpack altogether. The original's glasses actually read to me as regular glasses (not sunglasses); I took him to be a little dorky but still awesome, like so:
full-metal-jacket-1108x0-c-default.jpg

The new one also renders the brown material behind the ranger as a forest with fall foliage (I think?), which makes no sense whatsoever for the setting.

By changing the soldier's orientation, this also ceases to be a portrait of one of your guys at ease and looking at you (the player), and becomes a guy at the ready, looking at something off camera to the left, ready to fight.

On a technical level, the new soldier has no apparent light source (though the light source in the original is not great either). On his helmet the light is shining from above and to the left, but on his left (our right) shoulder, it's shining from above and to the right.

when the img embed fails just use old html tags and [ /img]. Note, photobucket is going to blur shit unless you pay monthly.

wasteland_4.png

18143-wasteland-dos-screenshot-dispensing-family-values-crypto-military.gif

18146-wasteland-dos-screenshot-pretty-funky-get-up-for-a-nun-ega.gif

1224-wasteland-dos-screenshot-standing-next-to-a-satellite-dish-ega.gif

1229-wasteland-dos-screenshot-the-mines-ega.gif

DOS

79376-wasteland-commodore-64-screenshot-you-can-radio-back-to-base.png

79378-wasteland-commodore-64-screenshot-sometimes-you-help-farmers.png

79374-wasteland-commodore-64-screenshot-you-create-a-party-and-move.png

79377-wasteland-commodore-64-screenshot-you-spend-much-time-cleaning.png

c64

43161-wasteland-apple-ii-screenshot-searching-for-loot.gif

43159-wasteland-apple-ii-screenshot-up-in-the-mountains.gif

43160-wasteland-apple-ii-screenshot-combat-with-nuke-pooches.gif

AppleII

1472035931-3853377903.jpg

1476014092-1951752849.jpg

1472035930-3879654004.jpg

promo steam/itunes art

wiki said:
Released after five years of development,Wasteland was originally released for the Apple II, Commodore 64, and IBM compatibles. The IBM version added an additional skill called "Combat Shooting" which could be bought only when a character was first created.

Wasteland was re-released as part of Interplay's 10 Year Anthology: Classic Collection in 1995, and also included in the 1998 Ultimate RPG Archivesthrough Interplay's DragonPlay label. These later bundled releases were missing the original setup program, which allowed the game's maps to be reset, while retaining the player's original team of Rangers. Jeremy Reaban wrote an unofficial (and unsupported) program that emulated this functionality.

On November 12, 2013, the game was re-released for Microsoft Windows and OS X on GOG.com, re-branded as Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic. The next day, the game was also re-released on Steam for the Windows, Mac and Linux. As the game suffered in the re-released version still from a critical timing bug, a fan developed an unofficial patch which was included November 2013 in the official patch 2. The patch from April 2014 fixed a Linux-specific bug and added another soundtrack.

yeah, it was the 2013 classic i bought on gog. Maybe i should fire up applewin, c64, and dos, windows and take screenies (eh maybe not).

What critical bugs were fixed. Wiki also mentioned windows version offered combat shooting skill for at character creation.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why not simply remake it in the Wasteland 2 engine? Oh that's right, too much work.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know, if they offer soundtrack as separate ost you pay for I'm gonna flip it the bird. God damn beamdog did that with every game i believe.

Arryosha

Learned
I wish that remasters of older games like this would leave the original art alone and focus exclusively on UI improvements. Whenever I've had trouble getting into older games, it has not been the graphics but the frustrating UI that put me off. I even find exploring the old pixel art part of the fun. The ability to use mouse controls and tool-tips rather than arrow keys and searching the manual would really open up a lot of older games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Here's hoping all skills, all tools, and abilities get use. Here's hoping encounter special abilities work and nothing gets broken. There will be many patches. There has to be extended content. Those overland gfx though... still an eyesore imho.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Pretty much. It works with win10 but so does dosbox.

I think this is a review but he disabled all the smoothing and hi-res portraits.
I'd prefer a vid of side by side or even every version in little comparison windows.

vs Dos i guess

you know... I'd love a guild hall thing like bardstale to change out characters. Now that would be kind of cool.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I wish that remasters of older games like this would leave the original art alone and focus exclusively on UI improvements. Whenever I've had trouble getting into older games, it has not been the graphics but the frustrating UI that put me off. I even find exploring the old pixel art part of the fun. The ability to use mouse controls and tool-tips rather than arrow keys and searching the manual would really open up a lot of older games.

They already did that with Wasteland though when they rereleased it a few years back.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh I forgot FOD had a few features

Plot
The game is set in post-nuclear war Florida, physically separated from the continental United States by intensive bombing during World War IIIthat sparked an enormous earthquake. Central Florida itself was hit heavily with neutron and chemical weapons, in order to destroy the life there and preserve the technology.[3] 50 years later after "The Change", life on the island of Florida is constantly threatened by mutations due to residual ionizing radiation. Adding to the threat are the deranged Killer Clowns, as well as three organized crime factions: the DeSoto Family, the Obeah Orders, and the Bahia Mafia. The player controls a small band of adventurers who set out to find the purifying waters of the legendary "Fountain of Dreams" to stop the spread of mutation.

Development

The game was originally intended as a follow-up to Wasteland, but neither Interplay nor any of the creative team that created Wasteland worked on it. In effect, the game engine is similar but was actually created from scratch, and in 2003 Electronic Arts dropped all claims that the game had any connection to Wasteland.[4] Fountain of Dreams was part of the beginning of a trend at EA to produce in-house sequels to its previous titles.[5]

Honestly, it'd be an ok add-on.

change esc from hell intro and have it when TPK'd in WL/FOD you end up in in this game.

Last edited:
You guys set your expectations way too high for something that was never going to be profitable to begin with.

Well it sure wasn't going to looking like this thing does. Given the positive reception of so many indie games with pixel art get, it's a little mind boggling the direction they went was this:

Wasteland-Remastered_01-30-20.jpg

wastelandremastered.jpg

That looks like shit. It's so aesthetically unappealing that this seems like a game for no one. I mean you could say it's for only the most hardcore of hardcore Wasteland fans but this looks so bad I'm sure most won't see any reason to get this version over the previous one.

Codex Year of the Donut
that this seems like a game for no one. I mean you could say it's for only the most hardcore of hardcore Wasteland fans
Those two groups are pretty close in size.
I really don't think there's a market for this wasteland remake tbh, games like Fallout 1 are considered ancient by your average gamer now. Too different from the original to attract the few people who would be interested, too arcane to attract the younger crowd. Guessing this will probably just end up being bundled with WL3 eventually.

that this seems like a game for no one. I mean you could say it's for only the most hardcore of hardcore Wasteland fans
Those two groups are pretty close in size.
I really don't think there's a market for this wasteland remake tbh, games like Fallout 1 are considered ancient by your average gamer now. Too different from the original to attract the few people who would be interested, too arcane to attract the younger crowd. Guessing this will probably just end up being bundled with WL3 eventually.

I think this could have gotten people's attention if it looked good though. This game looking like it does is a total nonstarter; not only will it not get the attention of people that have no idea what Wasteland is, it looking like shit is going to lose people that may have cared to begin with. I mean, on a visual level, if Wasteland got remade in like 1993 for the Sega Genesis it'd look better than this shit. This looks terrible. If it'd had something like some nice sprite work on the level of stuff like Eastward, translated the style you see in the portraits of the original game into some nice looking sprites in the environment, I'd guess it'd get the attention of people it likely wouldn't have.

The combat system in Wasteland is relatively simple, with a little polish to its presentation I don't seen why it wouldn't appeal to the same people that play JRPGs...and those still sell. As far as I can tell that Octopath Traveler game that came out in 2018 sold twice as much in one month as Wasteland 2 did in almost a year.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That's one of the worst looking non-anime games from a professional developer I've seen.
Doesn't excactly want me to play it. And I have some unfinished business with Wasteland...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom