Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Whispers of a Machine - new adventure game from Kathy Rain and The Samaritan Paradox devs

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Infinitron, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Finished it, took me around 5 hours according to Steam. But given the amount of variation in the dialogs and puzzle solutions, and the quality of the art, it seems like a reasonable size for the game.
    Overall, the whole game leaves the same impression as the opening chapter - it strikes this balance of being generally on the easy side but not insultingly so. The roleplaying and investigation elements were used a bit more sparingly than I would have wished (the biggest disappointment was that 1 of the 3 unlockable augmentations does not depend on your choices), but overall I think it does a better job of incorporating them than Unavowed or Mage's Initiation.
    What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to keep Vera's personality in the "true neutral" zone and what kind of augments would that unlock. Or at least whether it's possible to change the path during the second day, so that the second unlock would come from a different path. I guess a couple of replays are in order.
    Oh, and I absolutely loved the setting. Would love to watch a TV show based on it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/37574

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Game is alright. I'm on Day 3 currently and it's decently enjoyable so far. Biggest issues I have is that the aug abilities feel underutilized in puzzles, probably because there are 3 different paths where you use your new aug a couple of times only, and that the VA for the main character is not that great. I mean none of the VA are particularly good, but you hear her voice the most so the lacklustre delivery begins to grate on my nerves.

^ Top  
  5. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    It's doing quite well. Already has more reviews than Mage's Initiation, and it's 96% positive. Broke 100 simultaneous players. One more review and it gets a Metacritic rating, which is likely to be in the mid-to-high 80s. In every respect it's significantly outperforming Kathy Rain, which was itself a legitimate hit.

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Bought this. Not sure I'll have time to play soon. Want to support the devs at the start tho:salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    played it till the end of day 2 this weekend. it is pretty damn good. i really love the nordic motifs used in a sci-fi game. good character, the story is hooking so far, gave me a more grunge technobabylon vibe and some good puzzles. between the recent releases like unavowed, lamplight city and whisper, this might be my favorite. i love unavowed but it is barely an adventure game. lamplight city is still good too, but i think this is better so far.

^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Have you played the game,what do you think of it?

EDIT:Also is the game a modern political garbage or an ok adventure game without much of political shit shoved in?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Unless you consider the protag's edgy haircut a political statement, it's pretty safe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Actually, no, I take it back. The protag's a woman (gasp!) and she has the option to act assertively (double-gasp!). Run, run for your lives!

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I just played a few moments, not enough to form an opinion of it.

^ Top  
  12. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I mean, there isn't even a kitchen. Feminazi simulator 2019.

OTOH you can claim you wanted children. The white race is saved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Come on mate,can't fault me for being on the guard,seeing how the protag looks like an edgy dike. You talk as if leftist political garbage is not something to be wary of in modern games.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamer.com/whispers-of-a-machine-review/

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Terrible advice.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Not really. I'd like to know where several members were at all times just to be sure it was far away from me (and any weapons).

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    I just finished the game and it pretty good,it is shame that is that short tho. It took me around 3-4 hours doing most likely everything. Throughout the game it show that it was meant to be a bigger thing but we got what we got. The augments were pretty interesting,but sadly underused,the story was ok and the characters were likeable or tolerable depending on your personality. Liked that you had a dialogue option even if the three "paths" were a mess. There wasn't much of modern sjw shit,i would even go and say that it showed their views as the bad guys in a way. The whole game is about naturalism against transcendence trough technology. Anyway,it is a good evening game that you could finish in a siting.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    The dialog options change what augment upgrades you get every day. The game probably was not meant to be much bigger, the various hot spots around town you can't really interact with are there for the different augs you do not have.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yep, and also your build changes the way you go around achieving your goals quite significantly, even though the augs themselves may be used sparingly. It's much more complex than "use aug A on spot X or aug B on spot Y", sometimes you bypass whole locations.

^ Top  
  20. Alpan Learned Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    This is an okay game, but strangely bland, like the creative impulse to bring it to fruition didn't actually exist -- it feels like someone checked off "futuristic dystopia murder mystery" off a list of adventure games to make.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
  22. Dualnames Wormwood Studios Developer

Dualnames
    I have actually played and bought the game day one, and here are my thoughts. Spoiler free.

I feel compelled to say that this is one of the most interesting premises both in rich gameplay as well as story that I've played. The amount of detail in the game is amazing, the quality of artwork, soundscapes, voice acting is pretty stellar. I would personally like a bit more variety in voices, but that's a nitpick. The game in general, completely blew my mind regarding the depth and process of how my choices affect the game, the main protagonist and my world around me. This has to be the most I've been impressed by a game that has this sort of mechanic, it doesn't flush it over your face, instead it makes you snicker and smile as you understand and feel/see the consequences. I paced myself through the game, there was no puzzle that I found annoying or silly or illogical. The more time I spent trying to figure out a puzzle, the more I encountered more 'clues' on how, basically self-introducing a difficulty barrier within the way the game is set up. If that makes sense ^The interface while initially seemingly overwhelming is complex to accomodate all your 'investigative' actions, something I find rarely seen in such a simple way, but without sacrificing depth. It's been a long time since that part of an adventure game hasn't felt rushed and minigamish, and instead here it's seamlessly integrated, it feels.

I have to say, I was hyped to hear this coming out, and it has truly taken my expectations and kept them higher than I would think. This is how cop/investigative games should be done, and what best genre than an adventure game for that?! It also offers replayability given the choices one can take, so I'm willing to go over that in the next few days exploring more branches of the game!

TL:DR Overall experience, story, graphics, gameplay, I'd give this a solid 9/10 Vera recommended!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    Just finished the game for the first time (path of Frigg). I'll certainly replay it at least once, just to see how the puzzles change when you're on different path.

It's the first adventure game I've played in a long while. It was enjoyable enough. Definitely a bit short (but it has replayability, something that's uncommon in adventure games).

The difficulty is definitely much lower than in the adventure games of the 90s, but not as ridiculously low as it seems to be in certain recent adventure games (I've read the LP of Unavowed and... wow). Some puzzles are very easy, but others require actual thinking and a few gave me genuine trouble.

Show Spoiler
    It took me forever to realize that I needed to use my enhanced eyesight to read the piece of paper the boy was holding. And in the church, I got caught several times before I finally realized I needed to use the intermittent background noise as cover.

All in all, the game is still fairly easy.

The augmentations are a cool idea, though they're not quite as often useful as you might expect (which can be slightly frustrating sometimes).

The setting is nice and the themes (mainly artificial intelligence and transhumanism) are well used.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)