Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
inb4 InXile aims for simultaneous patch release so you have to wait for console update to be validated for a quest bug to be fixed.

SniperHF

Arcane
I think TTON will be great; perhaps it won't, but if it isn't, it's hard for me to think that a console port was a cause.]

Along the lines of what I was talking about in the other thread, I just don't look at it that way.

I'm a PC gamer, I care about only that platform as a self interested consumer. It will never be possible to draw a direct link with limited information between some gameplay element and decline due to consoles being involved outside of a few obvious areas. But presumably it's largely the same cast of characters working on the game whether consoles are involved or not. I don't see much evidence of a special inXile console division (or 3 people in a closet somewhere), so the same people working on one are probably mostly working on the other.

So let's take a scenario:
Game is released, day later there's a giant fuckton of complaints about the PS4 version. Turns out once you hit the 2nd act there's some horrible gamebreaking bug inXile can't track down which is a total show stopper. What does inXile do? Well obviously they now have 50,000 customers unable to advance their game and the outage will grow quick if they don't do something. Thus every resource available goes to fixing some stupid console problem. Those programmers could instead be improving something that actually affects me. Now as just a consumer who spent $40 on a game as is I wouldn't care or even notice.

But you can't separate the backer factor and I just don't generally like sending my money to support that. Doubly so when you factor in the stuff people have been reposting from '13/'14. I like to send my KS monies to companies doing what I agree with. inXile hasn't lost me as a customer, that's on a game to game basis. But they've definitely lost me as a backer now that they've decided to be a generic A-AA indie dev.

Fairfax

Arcane
it's hard for me to see how TTON could be consolized (as opposed to ported) at this point. I guess if someone wanted to be concerned about something, it would make more sense to stress about future games and the gravitational pull consoles might have on them (like with Bioware).

It's more like another potential red flag. The game has been delayed for 25-27 months and we don't know why (WL2 console ports apparently played a large part, but explanations have been vague at best), plus the Project Director was changed (most likely fired). We also don't know when this console port was considered and when this was decided.

The beta is good and I see potential there, which makes me less worried. Still, I have a really hard time believing Fargo/InXile PR/Colin saying this will not change a thing in the final version.
For instance: they said they'd rework the UI after getting early access feedback. That was in January. There's at least a full year between that and release to take consoles into consideration in the new design. Anything similar to the beta's UI would never work on consoles, and I doubt Techland wants to lose money for it.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
as a fellow developers!

I hope they make a ton of money so they can keep workin. I know it's not a business practicality, but I'd love to see the full final budget sheets on projects like these, simplified to the point that my ape mind can understand em. it seems hard to imagine that they've got the kind of burn budget that can push back a release six or eight months like that. wish em all the best, as always. ...maybe I'll actually finish one of their games one of these days! where's that Wasteland 2 install...

I'm a PC gamer, I care about only that platform as a self interested consumer.

their ability to continue to invest heavily in their games, remain independent of large publishers and afford to delay products until they're ready are in your self-interest if you like the stuff they make. enlightened self-interest is also self-interest, and this is a pretty basic flavor of enlightenment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
2384155329.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well, there it is. You can blow off the butthurt alarm, now. All stations normal.

Also, I like this guy Tobias Holst safespace name, he is right tho.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless anyone is willing to break ranks then it just amounts to a series of assurances we have no way of verifying.

Assuming the current available beta has no "console influences" yet, you can verify by comparing its UI with the final release.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Unless anyone is willing to break ranks then it just amounts to a series of assurances we have no way of verifying.

Assuming the current available beta has no "console influences" yet, you can verify by comparing its UI with the final release.

That's one hell of an 'assuming.' In any case, I don't think the decision to port is the problem, I think what's worrisome is that the game even lends itself well to porting. Not many RPGs on my top30 list that could be ported to consoles without overwhelming issues.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's one hell of an 'assuming.'

Is it? Just look at the beta and see if it looks consolized already.

I think what's worrisome is that the game even lends itself well to porting. Not many RPGs on my top30 list that could be ported to consoles without overwhelming issues.

I might have thought that too once, but then suddenly games like Wasteland 2 and D:OS started getting ported. We've reached a new stage. What is and isn't possible to do with consoles seems to have changed, at least with turn-based games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's one hell of an 'assuming.'

Is it? Just look at the beta and see if it looks consolized already.

I think what's worrisome is that the game even lends itself well to porting. Not many RPGs on my top30 list that could be ported to consoles without overwhelming issues.

I might have thought that too once, but then suddenly games like Wasteland 2 and D:OS started getting ported. We've reached a new stage. What is and isn't possible to do with consoles seems to have changed, at least with turn-based games.

Both WL2 and D:OS have very few venues of menu interaction compared with Pillars of Eternity. D:OS' interaction is nearly identical to modern MMOs. We haven't reached a new stage, we've just seen ports of games that lended themselves well to it.

---

Arcane
I actually liked Mass Effect 2 a lot. I believe it was the last RPG I finished before AOD. I am already declined. :/ (Though I haven't played a console in over a decade.)

Since I don't have time to either work on another inXile project or play any future inXile games, I'm actually pretty disinterested. Even if TTON is well received, the likelihood of anyone keying in on my work is extremely slim, so I don't even really stand to benefit from the game's being critically acclaimed (or to suffer from its being panned).
:prosper:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Both WL2 and D:OS have very few venues of menu interaction compared with Pillars of Eternity. D:OS' interaction is nearly identical to modern MMOs. We haven't reached a new stage, we've just seen ports of games that lended themselves well to it.

Come on, that doesn't make sense. Menu interaction is the easiest thing to do on consoles - see any JRPG interface. It's the point-and-click-based fine-grained environmental interaction of D:OS that is the hardest thing to port to consoles, and yet they did it. In comparison, the purely dialogue menu-based interaction of Torment will be a piece of cake.

compared with Pillars of Eternity

See, I think you're coming at this from a perspective of an Infinity Engine guy. It might not be a coincidence that the "consolization must change EVERYTHING" thing arose at a time when it was assumed that all major RPGs going forward would be RTwP. But that's no longer the case.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Come on, that doesn't make sense. Menu interaction is the easiest thing to do on consoles

O_o

Why is the MAIN point of contention always inventory systems then? I own a controller for PC. I play Dark Souls etc. with it. The main difference between consoles RPGs and PC-RPGs are shit menus. Witcher, Dark Souls, new shop in WL2, the examples are many.

The actions of leafing through a spellbook, picking up items and putting them down in an inventory, or navigating through complex subsets is exactly what the console is shit for.

Well, that and controlling multiple things in real-time, but Torment is TB.

see any JRPG interface

Can't believe you actually bring this up as a positive example. wtf

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Why is the MAIN point of contention always inventory systems then? I own a controller for PC. I play Dark Souls etc. with it. The main difference between consoles RPGs and PC-RPGs are shit menus. Witcher, Dark Souls, new shop in WL2, the examples are many.

Inventory systems? You said "menus" so I thought you were talking about dialogue menus.

But regardless, it seems obvious to me that Divinity: Original Sin was a harder console port than Torment. If you can do one, you can do the other.

(I don't understand why brought up MMOs with regard to D:OS btw. That actually strengthens my point, MMOs are a very PC-centric genre)

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
It's funny how they don't like drag and drop inventory. I mean holy fuckshit, what PC only RPG from after 1990 doesn't have it. Obviously this won't work well on a console....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom