Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
At the end of the day though, this is a goddamn business. If you can't realize that when you put your money down for kickstarter--remember that is not pre-ordering, it is investing--you shouldn't of put your money down and instead have waited for a final product with a clearer vision.

This is a goddamn business funded by goddamn PC users in order to deliver a product (a goddamn computer roleplaying game) to goddamn PC users. They are the real costumers, not the console users. If they took resources of the original product to satisfy console users, who didn’t even now that Planescape existed in the first place, they were acting in bad faith.

It is curious that every time a developer messes things up some fanboy start with this business talk. This view turns the world upside down because it legitimizes dishonest development practices at the expenses of the best interest of players. It’s trivial that game development is a business. What is not trivial is whether the only way to make a living as developer is by making basthardized cRPGs to satisfy console users. If that is the only for AA studios to keep afloat, they could just as well close their doors.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Good/Inovative games from small teams are now being made which was not happening pre Kickstarter (with exception of HBS that are not small anymore)

The only sustaining model that interests me is one in which developers can make the ends meet while offering something worthwhile. The sad truth is that only small studios with talented developers can do this. The medium studios are always on the verge of collapse with their huge payrolls, always desperate to become another Bethesda and wasting their resources catering to causals. They can all crash and burn for all I care.

I really like the trailer!

On the other hand, I'm blind from birth.
And lost my two arms to a crazy shark.
So, I use my dick as a joystick to play video games (I use my mouth to navigate, and I bite the tip of my dick to execute left click).

I'll tell you all about the science beyond this "dick as joystick" wonder in another time...

Anyhow, I bought a Chinese midget named Xiu to describe me what happens on screen. (I'm blind after all)

Until now I finished two games called: minefuck and cockout 4 (from breasteshda).

I truly believe that Xiu don't pronounce english words correctly...
Stupid Chinese slave!!!

Back to the subject, I really liked the first Torment becuase of the romantic story between Morty and the Nameless one.

I remember shouting at Xiu: "I want to suck this skull dick!!!"
But Xiu told me there's no option in the game to do so...

So I beat the shit out of Xiu with my head (no arms after all...)

And I backed the new Torment for 5000$ (I sold John, my regular Hooker for this shit) so Inxile will feel bad if there will be no skull fucking in the game...

And, I sent a very angry letter to Brian, describing to him what might be the next big thing...

Puke-imon Go (fuck yourself).
Put Morty in the game and make him a bitch!!!
Or I swear to you, I WILL vote for Trump!

In conclusion,
I really like this forum.
I cry alot because of the wonderful things people write here about other people and games...

Keep the good job.

Last edited:

Sprout

Educated
This is a goddamn business funded by goddamn PC users in order to deliver a product (a goddamn computer roleplaying game) to goddamn PC users. They are the real costumers, not the console users. If they took resources of the original product to satisfy console users, who didn’t even now that Planescape existed in the first place, they were acting in bad faith.

It is curious that every time a developer messes things up some fanboy start with this business talk. This view turns the world upside down because it legitimizes dishonest development practices at the expenses of the best interest of players. It’s trivial that game development is a business. What is not trivial is whether the only way to make a living as developer is by making basthardized cRPGs to satisfy console users. If that is the only for AA studios to keep afloat, they could just as well close their doors.

Methinks your problem is expecting purity from a world which demands compromises form everyone. The devs of a game struck a beneficial deal with a distributor which includes help and probably even additional funding for a port job they were going to try to do anyway once the pc version was finished. While I can intellectually understand the feelings of betrayal I wouldn't trivialize the developer's side of things either.
And I disagree with you on the fact that they should close their doors, it's generally good for people to have jobs.:M

I think TTON will suck because one thing that is integral to PST was the shit RTwP combat and they dropped the ball with that one on TTON. What a console sellout.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Methinks your problem is expecting purity from a world which demands compromises form everyone.

I'm not expecting purity, I'm expecting excellence from veterans of the industry. That is not asking much, is it? If the only way they can keep their life style is by making shitty deals, they could be just as well developing mobile games, it's more profitable.

I think TTON will suck because one thing that is integral to PST was the shit RTwP combat and they dropped the ball with that one on TTON. What a console sellout.

Not true. The TB thing was a lapse that they promptly compensated by adding health bars in the game.

Last edited:

norolim

Arcane
There's no fucking way Techland was partners with inXile back in 2013, Techland only recently became a publisher this year.
Nah, they've been publishing locally since 1991. In June this year they announced they were going globally, and a few days later, that they were the publishers for Torment. Still, it's highly unlikely they've been partners with inXile since 2013. They might have been in talks as early as the beginning of 2016, though.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Good job, you managed to bury this scandal in a torrent of inane comments. Reading this thread has been painful.

Something that would have been the ultimate sin back when the codex had standards is now being ignored or defended bitterly, by staff members of all users.

Mazel Tov Infinitron . I'm afraid you will never qualify for that PR job at InXile you've been coveting but maybe if you shill for 60000 more posts they'll let you be the office's janitor.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually liked Mass Effect 2 a lot

jWTUy6L.jpg

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Good job, you managed to bury this scandal in a torrent of inane comments. Reading this thread has been painful.

Something that would have been the ultimate sin back when the codex had standards is now being ignored or defended bitterly, by staff members of all users.

Mazel Tov Infinitron . I'm afraid you will never qualify for that PR job at InXile you've been coveting but maybe if you shill for 60000 more posts they'll let you be the office's janitor.

Stop being so "edgy" having the ability to discriminate between good games and shitburgers makes you an edgelord these days. It's [current year], shitlord!

duanth123

Arcane

Many Codexers have a hard time wrapping their brains around circumstantial evidence. In this case of the hideous compromises to follow now that Fargo has made this FINANCIAL decision to turn a so-called, so-advertised sequel to one of the greatest cRPGs of all time into a console release.

I blame it on years of Decline allowing a sort of Stockholm syndrome to take root, where, like a man stuck in a railway crossing who adamantly refuses to believe a train is hurtling at them despite the smoke, shrill whistle, and carefully laid tracks, the Codex will rationalize their comfortability with what has occurred up until the moment in time their limbs are rent from their body.

All despite the numerous trains that have come before the current.

I would advise you to stop expecting much from this site. After all Grunker's valiant act of politely twitter-confronting a part of the development staff with a quote that directly shows Fargo fucking lied (either in the past about his intentions or about the reasons for what he has now done in the present) is the most serious criticism on offer.

Heathens and shills all over the shop.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Many Codexers have a hard time wrapping their brains around circumstantial evidence. In this case of the hideous compromises to follow now that Fargo has made this FINANCIAL decision to turn a so-called, so-advertised sequel to one of the greatest cRPGs of all time into a console release.

I blame it on years of Decline allowing a sort of Stockholm syndrome to take root, where, like a man stuck in a railway crossing who adamantly refuses to believe a train is hurtling at them despite the smoke, shrill whistle, and carefully laid tracks, the Codex will rationalize their comfortability with what has occurred up until the moment in time their limbs are rent from their body.

I would advise you to stop expecting much from this site. After all Grunker's valiant act of politely twitter-confronting a part of the development staff with a quote that directly shows Fargo fucking lied (either in the past about his intentions or about the reasons for what he has now done in the present) is the most serious criticism on offer.

Are you a girl?

duanth123

Arcane

Are you a girl?

Only when I criticize.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Just to think that all that kickstarter staff and so named "age of incline" started in 2012. 4 years. So how much of incline was delivered so far except of SRR?

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Many Codexers have a hard time ...

Are you a girl?

Only when I criticize.
Some girls criticize all the time.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
10 pages of uninformed speculation because a game that was the shit until yesterday announced it's having a console release today, and therefore suddenly became console crap.

Do you dumbfucks even listen to your drivel? Like they can "consolize" a game in the last 6 or so months of development.

That being said, devoting budget towards a console release, which was pledged on the promise of a PC release is subverting the mandate given by backers, and yes Fargo has conned backers. I'd say, in the same way in which PoE kickstarter money funded both PoE and Tyranny, without the backers ever being informed.

It's one of the realities of the crowdfunding model - once you've made the pledge, the developer can do anything he wants, and you in turn can send him to hell next time he asks you for a dollar. Make your own conclusions.

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
10 pages of uninformed speculation
Say, another tardo with no programming experience and no idea what he's talking about telling us how software development works.

because a game that was the shit until yesterday
Only if by the shit you mean simply shit. Most people gave up on this a long time ago. Social justice themes, bizarre art, really shitty game system, shitty Unity game engine, years late, project lead apparently canned...what can go wrong?

announced it's having a console release today, and therefore suddenly became console crap.

Do you dumbfucks even listen to your drivel?
lol

Like they can "consolize" a game in the last 6 or so months of development.
Which proves it's been consolized all along, genius. Which is the point of people's outrage.

That being said, devoting budget towards a console release, which was pledged on the promise of a PC release is subverting the mandate given by backers, and yes Fargo has conned backers. I'd say, in the same way in which PoE kickstarter money funded both PoE and Tyranny, without the backers ever being informed.

It's one of the realities of the crowdfunding model - once you've made the pledge, the developer can do anything he wants, and you in turn can send him to hell next time he asks you for a dollar. Make your own conclusions.

Yes he bought himself a shitload of bad PR. Which you are now complaining about smart guy.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lot of retardation here. What exact compromise are you going to get putting a turn based, text heavy game on consoles?

It's not like they are suddenly going to cut all the dialogue and replace it with 'positive' 'negative' dialogue wheel or make combat third person action!

What a fucking joke the Codex is.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah because Planescape Torment would have succeeded on console because it would've been easy to port. It's not merely a technical issue, it's building for a system for people who don't like games and see them as a replacement for watching mindless drivel on TV.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
it's generally good for people to have jobs.:M
Sure, why not. Just not at my expense. Unless they're ready - at least once in a while - to stand up and say "fuck it all, we'll do the right thing here", I'm not going to pay for their life of privilege and apathy. The market is a democracy and everybody's free to vote with their wallet.

a game that was the shit until yesterday
Look, I cannot give you the precise date when I gave up on TToN (it was sometime between the first beta release and the reveal of the "new and awesome" character portraits) but by the time it became Tides of Health Points, my :butthurt: had mostly subsided. Now I'm simply watching the slow motion trainwreck from a safe distance.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A: Maybe Techland is giving them money for the port.
B: That's just speculation. What a fanboy, shill, and decline bringing user!

B: The game will be shit because Fargo makes the game for console day one!
A: Well that is also just a speculation.
B: What a fanboy, shill, and decline bringing user!

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom