Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
sell a turn-based blobber on consoles
Don't worry, closer to release it'll be announced that BT4 is now a RT co-op console ARPG.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's funny that what is being criticized are color choices in some parts of the game and some music tracks. C&C, story, combat - that's all secondary apparently.
This damn rebuttal, everytime someone criticizes the graphics or music of an RPG, as if they had nothing to do with the game or setting atmosphere. Which you obviously don't care about, since you turn it off.

What we have is a trailer. The criticism is about the trailer. Get it?

C&C, story, and combat will be judged when we have a bigger sample / have played through the game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
C&C, story, and combat will be judged when we have a bigger sample / have played through the game.

We have a bigger sample, it's called a beta. If you're one of those who are so concerned about the game that you nitpick the hell out of a few graphics or one music track in the trailer, then go take a look at the beta to get your bigger sample.

a mod

Formlery Melanoma

We have a bigger sample, it's called a beta. If you're one of those who are so concerned about the game that you nitpick the hell out of a few graphics or one music track in the trailer, then go take a look at the beta to get your bigger sample.

So what did you like from the beta? lol oh right you didn't play it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Say, another tardo with no programming experience and no idea what he's talking about telling us how software development works.
Wtf do you know about my programming experience shithead and when did you decide you know anything about anything?

You'll have to join the line of fucking douchebags on this forum who claim to be able to predict gameplay because they are such computer scientists and this gives them some incredible insight into games development. That's unless you are one of those douchebags' alt of course.

Have you, like, seen and played the game or something, moran? What is your evidence of it being dumbed down apart from your leet skillz in programming?

You would think with a name like that he would understand what consoles do to an RPG.
I would think with a name like that, you would kill yourself.

a game that was the shit until yesterday
Look, I cannot give you the precise date when I gave up on TToN (it was sometime between the first beta release and the reveal of the "new and awesome" character portraits) but by the time it became Tides of Health Points, my :butthurt: had mostly subsided. Now I'm simply watching the slow motion trainwreck from a safe distance.
Is there anything more than hurt feelings, and people burned out because of tight following of development, or are there specific things you can point to?
- Character portraits and health points made it a slow motion train wreck? How exactly? You could just be overreacting for all I can see so far.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Torment publisher Techland confirmed the news to our friends at Eurogamer Poland today, along with word that all three versions will launch simultaneously in early 2017.

So, that's actually why it went from almost ready a few months ago to "early 2017"?

The decline is strong with this one.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Character portraits and health points made it a slow motion train wreck?
Are you familiar with the concept of milestone? I could write a wall of text recounting everything that I've found disappointing about TToN so far but it's easier to say that if their writing and C&C turn out to be as bad as everything else, I'll honestly and without hesitation rate it 0/10.

For the writing there's some hope (MRY's pieces are very good, not sure about the rest). But heavy and meaningful C&C in a console game? It doesn't seem plausible, sorry.

Severian Silk

Only four party members is a shame. Avernum and the Shadowruns suffered because of it. (Never played much KotC, so I can't comment on it.)

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Wtf do you know about my programming experience shithead
It's nonexistant.

and when did you decide you know anything about anything?
I'm as close to an authority as someone can be really, excluding john carmack I guess. And more honest then someone like carmack would ever publicly be.

You'll have to join the line of fucking douchebags on this forum who claim to be able to predict gameplay because they are such computer scientists and this gives them some incredible insight into games development. That's unless you are one of those douchebags' alt of course.
If you make games it is easy to figure out how consoles fuck up games. Even if you make general apps it should be enough if you have a brain. Of course some web shite won't tell you anything about making complex PC user interafces...,

Have you, like, seen and played the game or something, moran? What is your evidence of it being dumbed down apart from your leet skillz in programming?
:lol:

I would think with a name like that, you would kill yourself.

Is there anything more than hurt feelings, and people burned out because of tight following of development, or are there specific things you can point to?
- Character portraits and health points made it a slow motion train wreck? How exactly? You could just be overreacting for all I can see so far.

I pointed out half a dozen things already but all I need to see is the main interface and you can tell it's shit. Just compare that minimalist bullshit to something like Jagged Alliance 2.

Are you fucking shitting me that this game isn't streamlined and dumbed down? :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems tards keep ignoring health bar change and acting like it is a minor thing. You are either retarded or have no clue how Numenera works.

As I said multiple times, it is comparable to them replacing spell slots and resting in D&D with cooldowns. It is not a minor thing.
They said they did it because of balancing combat and non combat but that is bullshit. It means they gave up on old school hardcore design. So tards spent all their points on shit in dialogues and now they die in combat? Good. Let them die, or load some save and find another way.

And we are talking about a game with just 13 major combats, how incompetent can you be to not be able to put in options for people with low pools in that "huge" number of battles.

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Seems tards keep ignoring health bar change and acting like it is a minor thing. You are either retarded or have no clue how Numenera works.

As I said multiple times, it is comparable to them replacing spell slots and resting in D&D with cooldowns. It is not a minor thing.
They said they did it because of balancing combat and non combat but that is bullshit. It means they gave up on old school hardcore design. So tards spent all their points on shit in dialogues and now they die in combat? Good. Let them die, or load some save and find another way.

And we are talking about a game with just 13 major combats, how incompetent can you be to not be able to put in options for people with low pools in that "huge" number of battles.

You're not allowed to have bad opinions from just a trailer bro. You can have good opinions for some reason though :lol:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
That's one hell of an 'assuming.'

Is it? Just look at the beta and see if it looks consolized already.

I think what's worrisome is that the game even lends itself well to porting. Not many RPGs on my top30 list that could be ported to consoles without overwhelming issues.

I might have thought that too once, but then suddenly games like Wasteland 2 and D:OS started getting ported. We've reached a new stage. What is and isn't possible to do with consoles seems to have changed, at least with turn-based games.

Both WL2 and D:OS have very few venues of menu interaction compared with Pillars of Eternity. D:OS' interaction is nearly identical to modern MMOs. We haven't reached a new stage, we've just seen ports of games that lended themselves well to it.

We sure reached something, but I would call it a low rather than a stage. We havent received a single game worth its money from KS and douchebags are worried to death about consoles.

:salute: Heroes I salute you.

worldsmith

Augur
They listed Kings Quest IV but not Ultima 5?? Modern journalism... :argh:
You think that's bad - they list King's Quest IV as "First Appearance" of "Functional Mirrors"... without even bothering to check if King's Quest III might have also had the feature. (It did.)

I read that it's kinda costly (performance wise) to make
True. To get King's Quest 3 to work I had to run it on an 8-bit machine clocked at a blistering 0.002 GHz and no graphics coprocessor to slow it down. It's just not reasonable to expect modern machines to keep up with that!

you will have to render the whole scene
King's Quest III was not rendering the whole scene to implement reflection - it was rendering the very few movable units and drawing that on top of a static, precreated, and almost certainly hand-drawn, "default background reflection". You can do essentially the same thing for any 3D game with a stationary camera as long as most objects (walls, stairs, pictures, tables, etc.) are mostly stationary from one frame to the next -- just render the static reflection once, and then every frame render and superimpose (2D/post-rasterization/cheap operation) only the moving objects that fall within the "mirror's field of view" on top of that static pre-rendered reflection (with the possible added complication of needing a Z buffer or using multiple non-overlapping 2D pre-rendered layers if the static stuff isn't strictly behind {from the mirror's perspective} the moving stuff, and with the down-side that that may not compute all of your lighting correctly - though you could probably fake that too to some extent - lighting is all fakery anyways so computing it "correctly" is never really an option).

Or you can just be a lazy-ass programmer and render the whole scene.

Latelistener

Arcane
Or you can just be a lazy-ass programmer and render the whole scene.
The lazy-ass programmers probably prefer blank textures instead of mirrors. :shittydog:
You should try game development by the way, maybe more mirrors will come into our way.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The criticism basically comes down to: "I have no evidence that the console port will have any effect on the PC version, but I'm just going to assume it anyway."

No, the criticism comes down to: "The attempt to please the console peasants at the expenses of the genuine cRPG players already ruined the whole T:ToN experience. Enjoy your PS4 game with four party members, heath bars that broke the combat system, shitty UI and tutorial for retards. You will feel great when you are posting your reviews along with bethestards saying this game is so much better than PS:T and demanding less skill checks. It will feel even better when InXile attend these consoletards demands as if the game was funded by them in the first place".

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
10978.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The criticism basically comes down to: "I have no evidence that the console port will have any effect on the PC version, but I'm just going to assume it anyway."

No, the criticism comes down to: "The attempt to please the console peasants at the expenses of the genuine cRPG players already ruined the whole ToN experience. Enjoy your PS4 game with four party members, heath bars that broke the combat system, shitty UI and tutorial for retards. You will feel great when you are posting your reviews along with bethestards saying this game is so much better than PS:T and demanding less skill checks. It will feel even better when InXile attend these consoletards demands as if the game was funded by them in the first place".

Nah, can't you remember all those great results everytime someone was going for consoles? Surely with such a great history all your fears are unfounded.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You will feel great when you are posting your reviews along with bethestards saying this game is so much better than PS:T and demanding less skill checks. It will feel even better when InXile attend these consoletards demands as if the game was funded by them in the first place
And it is not a joke, it is how it will be.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you release it at the same time it's not a port.

Which is why the game is delayed to 2017? While I don't believe the game will be shit because the console port (instead it will or will not be in spite of it), the easiest assumption for me to make is the game is delayed because inExile and Techland want a simultaneous release, instead of "Fargo is console shit since day one."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom