Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm kind of shocked at how reasonable this thread has been so far. What the fuck is going on?
It's the codex's honeymoon phase just like DOS2, give it 2-3 weeks and people will dig deep enough to shit on it. Meanwhile, enjoy your stay and the game :P

2house2fly

Magister
good thing the god of balance still enforces the "combat only" on abilities. wouldn't want anyone to have any kind of fun by actually preparing an ambush in the non sawyer-sanctioned manner. setting down a moonwell before combat begins in earnest? DAS SEIN NEIN BALANCIERT!
Since there are combat and non-combat spells this will probably be moddable

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I do find it quite funny, that obsidian chose to make the watcher into basically a pirate.
They are not the first.
IJCzxj4.jpg

But it has at least some explanation: "With that eyepatch you look like a pirate, lets send you on mission between pirates."

I'm kinda amazed that Risen 2 still looks pretty damn good. Draw distance isn't the best but the art design overall I think was really well done. I think I might buy it and replay it after the Steam summer sale. It arguably looks better than Elex, but Elex was also lower budget I think.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm kind of shocked at how reasonable this thread has been so far. What the fuck is going on?
I would wait until more people finish the critical path. I think it is fair to say that PoE2 has improved on many fronts, but I predict that the main story, UI, and ship combat will constitute the largest hangups for many Codexers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Remember they claim the AI has been redone from the bottom up.
Well with the cool lightning and shadows effects I often still fail to realise what exactly good just happened from AI side after party gets some massive damage. While the effects themselves are better, the overall combat pacing and status effects still often turn everything into total clusterfuck. My default speed in combat is 0, with speed 1 for the end of combat, and others I don't even use. Speed 1 would have been solid after some reworking and making effects like death animations more fluid and reminds me of actual standard IE speed.

Naturally I micro every character's round like in TB game, before select>left click when enemies are close to dead.

The rogues work well - aside from the fact that I'm not sure there is any way to counter them reliably, except packing good defence or just blocking enemies in a tight space. Ranged enemies seem to just lock onto something lightly armored and shoot it at all times. Melees idk, I just tend CC'ing them to death and don't allow 'em much space. Casters... idk. Sometimes they figure out something but they're not and never will be SCS casters.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah the buff descriptions are a maze. I think they figured most casuals don’t want to work with numbers or specifics anyway. Then you have Attribute Resistances, but you don’t know what debuffs those resistances defend against until you open another window. At least it’s all there.
Such decline to complain about stuff like this. If you played BG and didn't know D&D rules you had to get your game book you got with a game and read how stuff works there, there was no ingame explanation what is a Save vs Wands and how it works exactly.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So you prefer a fake plot urgency that doesn't actually mean anything when you're playing the game? :galaxybrain:

This isn't such a binary issue though, have plot urgency or not have it. Plot urgency is always fake by the definition. The world may be on fire, but I can just save the game. The world will be still there, waiting, if I decide to play again 5 years later.

But you can, and should, aim to create an illusion of urgency that doesn't have the player stretch his suspense of disbelief too much.

And so far I gotta say Deadfire pulls that of well. The plot so far is an investigation, and that's a solid way to keep pulling the player towards the main plot without forcing things onto him.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Man I tried to best that underground ruin cave shit in Neketaka, shits brutal at lvl 7 ;x

I like the challenges.

Also, ship combat is kind of retarded and unneeded

Prime Junta

Oo sea shanties! Guess my crew is happy.

Kinda ironic that the shanties recorded by a bunch of guys who can't sing have tons more atmosphere than the fully orchestrated stuff.

Edit: found a better one

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lacrymas

Looks like orchestration for the first game has been done by someone else. YouTube credits Ryan Humphrey. Deadfire soundtrack credits Justin Bell for everything.

So there you have it.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
WHY SO MUCH NIGGERS?
I can't feel empathy for, like, half of PoEII population because they are fucking niggers!
I'm trying to weaken all the native monster races and then let the Vailians swoop in and take control. Divide and conquer. Actually, maybe I'll try to weaken the Vailians, too. The Aedyran Empire will rise to prominence again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm getting pretty annoying that I'm losing -15 morale for working with an injury every few seconds despite the fact that I have no injuries on my characters or on my crew. Fuck...
It is not you mate,it is one of your crew. You have to take them from their job and put them in space down right. It is in the ship management inventory.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
How is the Orlan companion? I have not run into him just yet. Of all the companions, I thought he would potentially be the most annoying.

Mazisky

Magister
Game is fun, ship combat is boring and unneeded. Is there a way to skip it at all? Don't wanna leave many quests involving attacking ships.

Seethe

Arbiter
Man I tried to best that underground ruin cave shit in Neketaka, shits brutal at lvl 7 ;x

I like the challenges.

Also, ship combat is kind of retarded and unneeded

I was expecting to actually see the damn ship in battle. It feels like one of those cheap browser games.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can get permadeath on yourself or on your companions (with no prior wounds) if an enemy uses a chunking spell/power :incline:.

Finally found a unique war bow - it shoots 3 ice projectiles, with more and in an AoE on crits, looks cool af :bounce:. It's available really early too
woods west of Neketaka

Anyone found a unique hunting bow or soulbound ranged?

Game is fun, ship combat is boring and unneeded. Is there a way to skip it at all? Don't wanna leave many quests involving attacking ships.

Just press 1 repeatedly, then when <70 meters press 3 to board. Enemy will fiddle around, rarely will they even shoot.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom