Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Has GTA5 been pushed off the Top #10 list since release? Who the hell keeps buying it? Does it stay there because shark card sales count or something? That's the only explanation but even then I can't believe there's enough people paying for GTAO for it to be so high every week.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Has GTA5 been pushed off the Top #10 list since release?

It actually did quite a few times, especially this year when it's not on discount. But I think there are more weeks that it's on the list than it's not.

Does it stay there because shark card sales count or something?

That weekly list does not count microtransaction revenues, so it's entirely from the sales of the base game.

It's pretty possible re-purchases from banned users are contributing to the sales but then again, it's GTA. It's also still the best sellers on consoles, probably the go-to game when you buy a new PC or console.

(Personally I don't like the premise of GTA games, how they're wasting that fantastically simulated world on on-rail cinematic narrative.)

I've never played GTAV, what's the appeal? Why is it so popular?
Singleplayer-wise it's got fantastic production values across the board and ridiculously good attention to detail in the world. It does a good job of letting you have an enjoyable time just fucking around admiring things. On top of that the campaign's pretty goddamn fun despite having a lot of mole-popping.

Multiplayer I haven't a clue. I tried it a little bit and it seemed pretty grindy even though some of the co-op missions did look like a lot of fun, but playing with people you know seemed mandatory since every time I tried to join a game I got the absolute worst of humanity and I don't think I ever successfully finished a mission. I know it's really popular, and Rockstar's still putting out free* content for it after however many years (Not just new skins, there are full-on voiced and animated missions and new vehicles and weapons and a bunch of shit) so obviously a lot of people are really in to it, but I bounced off it completely.
*Even though all the content's free you still need in-game cash for some of the fancy cars/guns/whatever, and I think access to missions is gated behind cash (Not positive) so I guess it's theoretically possible you'd want to buy some funny money for instant gratification. Although I'm so far removed from knowing the ins and outs of GTAO take all this with a grain of salt.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is it me or Steam getting more borked with every passing month, not just with every sale. Disappearing avatars, logouts in the client, not accepting moneys (even from Steam Wallet) and problems grows up and more.
I would put my tin foil hat on and say something about people jumping ships to Epic Store but their client is not better.
And GOG have more problems after recent site redesing.

What the hell is going on and why everyone run on garbage machine fueled by garbage code??

Turjan

Arcane
It's probably you. I experience no logouts or disappearing avatars. For me, the whole winter sale experience has been the smoothest ever so far. Of course, that may have to do with the point that there's no game or anything else running in the background with who knows how many people participating, except that boring calendar where you click once a day.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not experiencing any of your issues either MotherMachine. It seems you are having an unlucky strike. :)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only time I have problems is during sales when the day ticks over.
I presume a lot of people are just botting the holiday event as usual and collecting the assorted knick knacks immediately.
Usually goes back to normal within ~15 minutes.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Never had any problems purchasing games on Steam until this year. Normally the stuff I buy gets added to my Library or Inventory instantaneously but this time it took 15 or so hours before my gift appeared in my friend's inventory.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
It's still hand drawn you fucking retard, just digitally. No one is going to fuck around with cells and paints today, it's a matter of time and money.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
beba-katapult.gif

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm done with fucking game launchers: Cancelled my EA, Ubisoft, Epic Accounts (I was registered in the Epic forums, but their own game launcher made me cancel it as well).

I lost about 10 fairly good games, but whatever. The only portals I remain with are Steam and GOG.

Besides the Ubisoft website is the biggest piece of shit ever. There are at least 3 different portals to log in, such as Club/Store/Account, but you can't really see the difference. Furthermore I couldn't even see the games I bought in the past! Wth?! Who made this shit?! Glad to have it removed.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Valve must be preparing for Half-life 3 steam exclusive release, now that there are potential other shops on the horizon.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So now that Ubisoft is gone there's only a few AAA publishers left on Steam. 2K/Rockstar and Warner Bros. (which is not quite in the same league but still)? And Japanese publishers.

It would not be surprising if Rockstar skips Steam in favor of their own platform, since they already made tens of millions of Steam users to create accounts with GTA V.

sullynathan

Arcane
So now that Ubisoft is gone there's only a few AAA publishers left on Steam. 2K/Rockstar and Warner Bros. (which is not quite in the same league but still)? And Japanese publishers.

It would not be surprising if Rockstar skips Steam in favor of their own platform, since they already made tens of millions of Steam users to create accounts with GTA V.
Yea, I don't know why R* is still on STEAM at this point. Their R* DRM already limits your STEAM account as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom