Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a good modern open world - suggestions pls:

Mazisky

Magister
Keep in mind:

-The only Assassin's creed i had fun with was 2. Odissey and Origins got bored after 20 mins.
-Loved Gta 4 and Witcher 3, Arkam City too.
-Had some fun with Gta 5, Watch Dogs and Skyrim but less than the 3 above.
-I prefere first person over 3rd.
-Watch Dogs 2 is one of the worst i've ever played.
-Just cause or Saints Row are the opposite of what im looking for.
-Only Pc.

Suggest me something modern please, thank you.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nah uh. Far Cry 3 was the best. Zelda Breath of the Wild was good but it was too good. I burnt myself out playing it obsessively for days at a time, trying to find every little nook and cranny, hoping I wouldn't miss anything. This is NOT the way to play a huge open-world game. I only managed to complete about half of it before I walked away, and I regret it. You should just take it slow, relax and have a good time. Tis a pity that one of the greatest open world games ever turned out to be such a bust for me because of my totally wrong-headed approach to playing it. Nobody's fault but my own.

passerby

Arcane
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Fallout: New Vegas
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Elex
Dying Light
Two Worlds 2
Sleeping Dogs
Far Cry 3 - 5 are a bit like Asassins Creeds, but shooters instead of slashers and less story. ( Far Cry 2 would be great if not for insane respawn rate, it's unplayable because of that imo. )

I've ordered them from serious to stupid fun, depending in what you're more interested.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Never played any Far Cry. The 5 is on sale now, should i?
All of them seem to be on sale, I'd definetly get '2' and skip '3'. Many seem to love 'Blood Dragon', for me it's the opposite of what I like about the series. The fourth is okay, haven't played the fifth yet either.

toroid

Arcane
Dying Light - Post-apocalyptic parkour simulator. First person perspective. Strong focus on acrobatic melee combat; smoothly done and satisfying. Voice acting is well done and the writing isn't distractingly retarded unlike most AAA schlock.

I'd definetly get '2' and skip '3'. Many seem to love 'Blood Dragon', for me it's the opposite of what I like about the series. The fourth is okay, haven't played the fifth yet either.
Just recently started playing FC4 and it feels like I'm playing FC3 again. Standard anti-fun Ubisoft game formula.. well, it's fun the first time. FC3 was a semi-decent shooter several years ago but it feels janky and unresponsive now, so FC4 will be uninstalled soon.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Dying Light - Post-apocalyptic parkour simulator. First person perspective. Strong focus on acrobatic melee combat; smoothly done and satisfying. Voice acting is well done and the writing isn't distractingly retarded unlike most AAA schlock.

I'd definetly get '2' and skip '3'. Many seem to love 'Blood Dragon', for me it's the opposite of what I like about the series. The fourth is okay, haven't played the fifth yet either.
Just recently started playing FC4 and it feels like I'm playing FC3 again. Standard anti-fun Ubisoft game formula.. well, it's fun the first time. FC3 was a semi-decent shooter several years ago but it feels janky and unresponsive now, so FC4 will be uninstalled soon.
I guess I only liked it better than 3 because of the landscape / setting and I didn't hate everyone- PC and NPCs alike - in it. It also felt less ... comic booky ? ... than 3. But yes, it's not great.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FAG CRY BLOOD DRAGOB IS LIKE BEING A FUCKINH TOTAL BRO

SURE YOUR KIND OF LAME AND DERIVATIVE BUT YOUR ONLY TAKING TENHOURS OF TIME AND YOUR FUCKING SHOOTING CYBERDRAGONS WITH FIRE SHOTGUNS AND BRO YOU KNOW YOU ARE LAME BUT LOLLOLOLOL FUCIJBG KILL BEVERYONE!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

You will learn that all other open world games have been doing it wrong. And discover the highest-T game franchise.

Mazisky

Magister
I've bought Far Cry 5. The shooting is so dull, no feedback at all. I don't know how to explain, feels like a cheap game, refunded after 1 hour. I guess i won't try other Far Crys. I mean, Mafia 3 was a boring game but the shooting was 10 times more satisfying than this.

About your suggestions:

I cannot stand postapoc setting, 50 hours of wastelands give me depression, so no Stalker or Elex.
Same for military stuff, so no Metal Gear 5.
Dying light i've already finished, great game despite the shit quests. Pretty hyped for the sequel. Same for Sleeping Dogs.

What remains? Yakuza, Dragon Dogma. I'll take one of those i think, thank you very much guys! :love:

Master

Arbiter
Try Far Cry 1 if you havent already, its not open world but it has big and great levels...
Why dont you want something like Just Cause and Saints Row?
Red Faction Guerrila is similar to those, its great and maybe the best open world game.
There is also Mercenaries, it wasnt bad.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yakuza has a heart of great justice, so it's also a certified anti-depressant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom