Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The more RPGs I play the less I care about a game's mechanics, even the non-combat ones like skillchecks. Increasingly what I really value in an RPG is the immersion in a setting, a plotline, or an aesthetic, even in one with really good mechanics like Underrail. Mechanics are just there to add a bit of structure, moment-to-moment reward and activity to fill things out.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
No need to be so strict about it. As far as I'm concerned a computer role-playing game is an RPG that was developed and optimized for the PC platform, regardless of whether it also came out on consoles.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more RPGs I play the less I care about a game's mechanics, even the non-combat ones like skillchecks. Increasingly what I really value in an RPG is the immersion in a setting, a plotline, or an aesthetic, even in one with really good mechanics like Underrail. Mechanics are just there to add a bit of structure, moment-to-moment reward and activity to fill things out.
I've been saying this for ages.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I've been saying this for ages.

Teenagers talking about doing something for "ages". :lol:

What's next, are you gonna tell us about something you did for "all your life"?

Fuck off, shithead. Your taste in games is shit and your opinions are shit. If you value all that over mechanics you should stop playing games. Period.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Disco Elysium is a modern PS:T, clearly. It's our generations' Torment.

Sure, it's a short Visual Novel with barely any mechanism, exactly what your generation deserves.
They were smart enough not to add any combat so they can't fail that part, it's also cheaper to develop and they're milking a generation of retards.

Brilliant!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know that i will receive a lot of butthurt and hate by it but. Only i din't liked Gothic 2 NOR Risen 1 that much?? And think that Gothic 1 is far superior to both games?

I will explain. I loved Gothic 3. Loved Gothic 1. But so many things on G2 makes no sense. For example. Xardas teaches you Circle 6 in the first game if you are a magician. Why he can't teach you circie one on the second game after you become far weaker by "video game logic" reasons? G3 has a explanation to why the nameless hero lost his powers and artifacts(Xardas trying to ban Gods influence in the material world) Water mages are far more common on the story and you can't join then(on the first game, you can become a water mage after joining old game or new camp depending on your choices, on chapter 4). The paladin also is not interesting for a hybrid of Melee and Magic as a Templar from Swamp camp on G1(the fact that you can't become a Guru on G1 disappoints me too, but G1 offers way more interesting factions and playstyles than 2), the questing on G2 is much more less interesting. The starting quests often are used to explore factions philosophies on G1 and explore the world. Search a missing guy from old camp, renounce the Gods to get the approval of a Guru, and the magic is actual viable.

Gothic was mostly about law X chaos. Old camp = lawful, swamp camp = chaotic, new camp = neutral. But on G2, there are 2 LG factions(paladins and fire magicians) and one neutral faction(merc), the guys from swamp camp becoming seekers was a interesting plot twist TBH.

When someone says a "fire magicians who serves the God of Fire", the image who comes to my mind is not a guy who runs with a goblin skeleton army firing his bow(because deals more damage than his fireball), nor using ice block and spamming a melee attack on the frozen enemy.... Comparing the starting fire spell, Fire Bolt(g1) vs Fire Arrow(g2), on G1, costs one mana to get 30 damage. On G2, costs 6 mana for the same damage. The fireball costs 2 times more on G2 than on G1(10/5 if fully charged) and deals almost no damage in comparation(150 VS 60), Fire Storm, the highest damage spell on G1, costs 10 mana fully charged and deals 500 damage(50 per mana), even the least mana efficient spells on G1 has 20 damage / mana consumption...

Gothic 3 can be a unfinished game, has a lot of problems like the spear and the axe using the same animations, but G3 gives way more freedom than previous PB games(G1 who is the best gothic IMO included)

But when PB launched Risen. again a forced boring monastery with forced fetch quests that doesn't reflect the monastery ideals, they have way less weapons and spell effects than previous games, arrows has a drunk droppage and the worst final boss ever.. I din't found the Undead Dragon that bad. Nor the gimmicky sleeper.

PS : Risen 2 is trash and Risen 3 has by far the worst melee combat ever that i saw in a game.

Void_Pickle

Educated
I used to think CRPG standed for "COMBAT RPG" because it was associated with Diablos and then Baldurs Gates.

Not sure I'd call it an rpg though.. much less a crpg.

Modron

Arcane
Infinity Engine, id est round based real time combat, is the worst combat system to be implemented in RPGs. Worse than turned based, full real time action combat, and phased based systems.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Teenagers talking about doing something for "ages". What's next, are you gonna tell us about something you did for "all your life"?
Clearly I meant for the past year or so that I've been on the Codex. I love how you use teenager as an insult, as if I'm not already doing better at life than you are in only a quarter of the time.
Fuck off, shithead. Your taste in games is shit and your opinions are shit. If you value all that over mechanics you should stop playing games. Period.
Never said I argue all that over mechanics, the two go hand in hand. Regardless, just a reminder for everyone here.
upload_2019-12-7_17-7-58.png

He's been on this forum for eleven years lmao. What a sad "little" man. And by little I mean in stature and in brainpower. FTR is clearly well over 300lbs. Fuck off faggot.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-7_17-7-41.png
    upload_2019-12-7_17-7-41.png
    3 KB · Views: 85

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
This internet tough guy act by a child is total cringe to watch in action.
Literally nothing about my post was putting forth an internet tough guy persona you monkey. What's cringe is FTR and his constant edgy shitposting, and the fact that pussies like you let his drivel slide.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of posts where I've threatened to dribble FTR's head off the ground, and that's about as internet tough guy as it gets, but this post wasn't one of them.

Gregz

Arcane
  1. Fedora Master:
    At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE
  2. Junmarko:
    yeah looks good. most people seem to have positive feedback on it
  3. Felix:
    Won't remove it from an inventory though
  4. Gregz:
    Fedora Master: At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE <- no, this is where most of the Codex is confused
  5. Gregz:
    Owlcat took a system with rules, and forced the player to play by them, then proceeded to break every rule imaginable on the DM side
  6. Fedora Master:
    Fair point
  7. Gregz:
    that's probably the biggest stink of the whole affair
  8. Junmarko:
    Yeah heard PF was made up of people who left DnD
  9. Gregz:
    rules are a contract between the players and DM, Owlcat shat over that entire paradigm
  10. Fedora Master:
    Thats what I meant by "designed to appear hardcore"
  11. Gregz:
    what they did was MUCH worse than anything Sawyer ever did

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Alter Ego is a role-playing game, and a very good one too.

Ultima VII was pure decline made for beginners and storyfags, I'm not sure if it even qualifies as a role-playing game.

Storyfaggotry is an easily treated plague, Storyfags are retarded and obviously wrong so you can safely ignore them. Combatfaggotry on the other hand makes some sense, which turns combatfags into fearsome enemies of incline.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
RPGs r power fantasies. a virtualized psychopathological phenomena (power fantasies rnt healthy, but a hypercompensation for a social deficite, that auto-reproduces via power fantasy, a full circle of Dantean hell) like digital SM, ERP, its Cyber-Bondage, the up-to-date version of self-castration. cuz its all in ur screen. and it better stays there, as RL C&C tends to strike lethally...

eons ago, there was that MMO meme: get a life! now its git gud!!!111!1! u c?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom