Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It strange to me to see such dislike for the "earn your barony with your sword" part. I thought this is pretty common everywhere. We have no titles where I am from, but lots of the powerful people in the Balkans are descendants of warlords.

It's not that, it's the details. If you had a lot of armed men, sure you could claim some land, that's how it was done usually. But for local strongmen to invite "adventurers" in tiny parties to take over neighboring lands just sounds retarded.
It's a risky strategy on the Aldori. Invite an unknown force to upset the current balance of power. Which they themselves will only stand to benefit from. Of course that is assuming that this wild card that they are devoting resources to, will act in their interest.
That's not the point. This one time (the surprise!) Porky is right. "An unknown force" - a force of one level 1 murderhobo. Even the people you "have" with with you aren't truly yours. You dont have really have even the smallest retinue of your own when you come to Aldori. It has nothing to do with risky strategy or anything like that. That is retarded no matter how much you want to defend the plot of the game you clearly like.
I like it too btw.
>Even the people you "have" with with you aren't truly yours.
The people of whom you ally with are met under difficult circumstances. You save Linzi and Tartuccio from a small group of assassins. You prove yourself as a capable leader worth following during battle with Amiri. Depending on your choices during the fire, you prove yourself, again, as a capable competent leader while helping Valerie rescue the soldiers from the impending fire; then rushing to defend Lady Jamandi from an assassination attempt. Valerie not being much of a leader and more of a soldier who follows orders, will follow you based on the valor you showcased. Really the only odd ones who are questionable are Harrim and Jaethal. Harrim who preaches the end of times has no reason to follow you, as he welcomes death. Jaethal who is a undead should have no real reason to engage in the politics of living beings. I'll give you that. The rest of the would be allies died during battle with the assassins.

The situation is so dire in the Stolen Lands, that the Aldori are wiling to gamble on a small group of adventurers.
You completely miss the point - again. You came to aldori alone and they are not your people. They only join you later because of circumstances. But that's irrelevant. Its one thing to "gamble" to someone that make sense and stand a chance to actually do what he is expected to do, what a single level 1 murderhobo cannot possibly do. A second son of some completely unimportant noble or an adventurer with a an actual (small) retinue would make some sense at least. Not much but some.

The more basic thing is that the whole part of the plot where you build your own barony doesn't make sense under the assumption of a typical crpg gameplay - tiny group of murderhobos walking around and killing stuff. It simply doesn't, no matter how you spin it.
It could be adjusted to some degree by a human GM to make sense but by computer its impossible. That's btw the problem about most of the rpg modules that aren't strictly dungeon crawlers (and even then...). The ones that make it work somewhat (Planescape which i don't like but it did it) are rare.
>You completely miss the point - again. You came to aldori alone and they are not your people.
Which is why you're the perfect candidate. You are an outsider and are not beholden to any one side. You are a nobody murdering hobo. If the Aldori's gamble doesn't pay off, and you end up dying, then no one will morn or care.

>what a single level 1 murderhobo cannot possibly do.
You saved Lady Jamandi from an assassination attempt despite all the odds. I think that's enough.

>A second son of some completely unimportant noble or an adventurer with a an actual (small) retinue would make some sense at least.
Which is why Maegar Varn's plot is far more believable, I agree.

>The more basic thing is that the whole part of the plot where you build your own barony doesn't make sense under the assumption of a typical crpg gameplay - tiny group of murderhobos walking around and killing stuff. It simply doesn't, no matter how you spin it.
I don't see it that way. I see it more as pretense of "taming" the Stolen Lands. Bringing civilization to an uncivilized land.

>It could be adjusted to some degree by a human GM to make sense but by computer its impossible.
The game is based off an existing module. From what I heard the developers played the module extensively, and tried their best to implement the module to a video game format. Nonetheless, you do raise a crucial point. A human GM could have done a better job at adjusting and reacting based on the player's choices. But such are the limitations of video games.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
If you want to make Kingdom management less frustrating, just turn it to the easy setting. Don't turn it off completely, because then you lose the advantages it brings

Trashos

Arcane
Ha! I just finished Tristian's quest, and what do you know...

He has the nerve to fight back if you decide to kill him. Not sure whether I see this as another indignity by this wuss or as a sign that he decided to man up at the very end.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The more basic thing is that the whole part of the plot where you build your own barony doesn't make sense under the assumption of a typical crpg gameplay - tiny group of murderhobos walking around and killing stuff. It simply doesn't, no matter how you spin it.
And yet that's how lady Jamandi Aldori did it herself and almost succeeded. She lead a group of 6 who destroyed the gang lord Dargut Droon, but the paladin who was going to be the future baron died. Before the Aldori were able to resurrect him the Stag Lord had already occupied the ruined fort.
May be it's a Golarion thing. May be it's a Stolen Lands thing. May be it shows the lack of resources of Restov and the need to keep secrecy from the ruling Surtovas, but the previous attempt to conquer the Stolen Lands was done more or less in the same manner as in the game.

Sykar

Arcane
It strange to me to see such dislike for the "earn your barony with your sword" part. I thought this is pretty common everywhere. We have no titles where I am from, but lots of the powerful people in the Balkans are descendants of warlords.

It's not that, it's the details. If you had a lot of armed men, sure you could claim some land, that's how it was done usually. But for local strongmen to invite "adventurers" in tiny parties to take over neighboring lands just sounds retarded.
It's a risky strategy on the Aldori. Invite an unknown force to upset the current balance of power. Which they themselves will only stand to benefit from. Of course that is assuming that this wild card that they are devoting resources to, will act in their interest.
That's not the point. This one time (the surprise!) Porky is right. "An unknown force" - a force of one level 1 murderhobo. Even the people you "have" with with you aren't truly yours. You dont have really have even the smallest retinue of your own when you come to Aldori. It has nothing to do with risky strategy or anything like that. That is retarded no matter how much you want to defend the plot of the game you clearly like.
I like it too btw.
Not only did they hire a small band of shitty mercenaries, the threat in tuskland is so shitty that later on you remove the stag lord with just 6 people.

The problem was not just the Staglord but the damn mist which he made his pet druid conjure. Also you have Kressle and her band at your disposal, can convince that fallen Paladin to join you and an Owlbear if you are so inclined. That is a lot of extra fire power, at least as a good MC. Also the Aldori cannot just mobilize all their forces and leave their turf and smaller groups struggled there.

And yet that's how lady Jamandi Aldori did it herself and almost succeeded. She lead a group of 6 who destroyed the gang lord Dargut Droon, but the paladin who was going to be the future baron died. Before the Aldori were able to resurrect him the Stag Lord had already occupied the ruined fort.
May be it's a Golarion thing. May be it's a Stolen Lands thing. May be it shows the lack of resources of Restov and the need to keep secrecy from the ruling Surtovas, but the previous attempt to conquer the Stolen Lands was done more or less in the same manner as in the game.

Plenty of warlords have established themselves from humble beginnings throughout history. Most infamously Mohammed. Also the Staglord was very passive, more busy getting drunk on a daily basis than trying to properly organizing his men. He was likely too confident that his mist barrier will hold. MC and his people are lucky in that regard. Hell as a neutral good I even get a band of Kobolds and Mites to serve me. With kingdom management there is more to do than just "murderhobo" your way through everything. You can even try to negotiate with the troll king if your alignment is lawful, though not sure why only lawful alignment gets that option.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is almost like there was some powerful unknown force making sure that a kingdom sprouts out in the Stolen Lands. Like it was in their interests? It is almost like they were able to influence the minds of people.

:philosoraptor:

jaethal is out of place in many ways anyway...

Jaethal wrote herself out of the story the moment she told me that her undead cunt flops don't feel a thing.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Jaethal is the best waifu, only
crazyrobot.gif
cares if their story works perfectly within the game, she is IMO well written character with interesting story, so I don't care that much if it makes sense as such. Same with the premise, rest of the game works so I don't really care if the start-up makes 100% sense.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Most of the "counter-arguments" don't really address anything i said. Except maybe Pink Eye's. And the pseudo historical ones are cringe worthy. But let's drop the issue.
If one wants to believe the opening of the plot makes sense - sure, be my guest. I want only to say that one can like the game for its gameplay (especially with TB mod!) even if he thinks the plot doesn't make much sense. As i already said - plots in a lot of crpgs don't make much sense to begin with. Maybe PK is not that bad in that regard all things considered.

Cael

Arcane
Nullfinder: Bugmaker is based on DnD. How many DnD campaigns basically have a bunch of unconnected characters thrown into a room and the party is only held together by player OOC agency? Having a bunch of nutjobs forming your party is the least of bugmaker's problems. At least it is not at the level of cuckdog's exotic farawayland black lesbian vampire ninja shoehorning. They have her eating an innocent girl right before your very eyes and there is nothing you can do about it, even if you are a Paladin. It would take a lot to beat that kind of plot fuckery.

Went back to Lonely Barrows with my Level 8 party. I cleared what I left behind in the dungeon.
The Iron Golems nor The Lonely Warrior weren't an issue anymore at this level. The Lich was an interesting exercise though.

I used Dimension Door to enter the Liches prison, looted the chest, then Dimension Doored out, deliberately leaving Jaethal behind. I used her to lure the lich over nearer to where I portaled in. I kept the summons coming to get the Lichs poor AI to kamikaze all his spells, doing substantial damage to itself. I also used the window of visibility to bombard from the outside.

Then came the slog. I abused the hell out of Jaethal's immortality to slowly waste away the Lich's life with my huge stockpile of consumables (scrolls, wands, etc). After about 45 minutes, he was dead. Each party member gained 2 levels and I now have sweet endgame loot. I got Jaethal out by having her and my AT hug the wall, then DD.

The real annoyance, is that every time combat initiates against the lich, new animated armors spawn. It began to drastically slow the game when I had maybe well over 100 of these things taking action every time Jaethal revived. I do feel alittle cheezy, but it was worth it. It was a fun challenge.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, I did a ton of fucking Googling looking for how the fuck you extract portraits from the Unity files. I did a little independent researching. Turns out it's a long ass process, but it's actually short as fuck if you put two-and-two together. It would've been longer had I not used a mod that lists all the resources and the string numbers to identify them. I mean I calculated it would've probably taken at least 200 minutes to go through all the resource files with UABE. Owlcat games is fucking horrible for not properly naming their resource files to make this game more modder-friendly.

Fucking community is straight up retarded by the way. Every person asking how to extract NPC files was met with how the upload their own custom files to the game. Fucking made me furious reading the 10th idiot that thought they were smart in remarking that you can Google it and that it's simple. Fuck me, that was a bitch.

IDK why Owlcat games didn't just post this fucking shit to a folder like Obsidian did with Pillars of Eternity.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
and an Owlbear if you are so inclined.
Yeesh is there a way to get that fucker on your side besides druid spells etc. ? Those things are so OP in this game that it one-mans the friendly merc's crew in a couple turns (after effortlessly shredding through its "pen") before I have a chance to down the main enemies and get back to it.

Sykar

Arcane
Yeesh is there a way to get that fucker on your side besides druid spells etc. ? Those things are so OP in this game that it one-mans the friendly merc's crew in a couple turns (after effortlessly shredding through its "pen") before I have a chance to down the main enemies and get back to it.

You just have to calm the captured Owlbear down and then choose the option where it says that it will fight by your side.

Most of the "counter-arguments" don't really address anything i said. Except maybe Pink Eye's. And the pseudo historical ones are cringe worthy. But let's drop the issue.
If one wants to believe the opening of the plot makes sense - sure, be my guest. I want only to say that one can like the game for its gameplay (especially with TB mod!) even if he thinks the plot doesn't make much sense. As i already said - plots in a lot of crpgs don't make much sense to begin with. Maybe PK is not that bad in that regard all things considered.

That is some top tier hand waving right there. Nicely veiled arrogance, too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's just a Lore (Nature) check, after which you can either choose to let it go or have it stick around and murder the stag lord and his merry men as soon as combats tarts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I did a ton of fucking Googling looking for how the fuck you extract portraits from the Unity files. I did a little independent researching. Turns out it's a long ass process, but it's actually short as fuck if you put two-and-two together. It would've been longer had I not used a mod that lists all the resources and the string numbers to identify them. I mean I calculated it would've probably taken at least 200 minutes to go through all the resource files with UABE. Owlcat games is fucking horrible for not properly naming their resource files to make this game more modder-friendly.

How'd you do it? I extracted most of the game's portraits a while ago but when the Enhanced Edition patch came out something changed and I was no longer able to find all of them in the data files.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's just a Lore (Nature) check, after which you can either choose to let it go or have it stick around and murder the stag lord and his merry men as soon as combats tarts.

Well, not quite as soon as combat starts. Its pretty slow and has limited aggro radius, so if you want to use the beast, you might want to kite enemies towards it.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

How'd you do it? I extracted most of the game's portraits a while ago but when the Enhanced Edition patch came out something changed and I was no longer able to find all of them in the data files.
Did you only get the small photos? I'm not seeing the full length or medium ones that the game uses in that forum link you sent me. Looks to me like you only got the UI photos. Anyways, I used a UABE and a data viewer mod in combination. The data viewer was to get the resource number for the portraits.

UABE I used to extract portraits.
https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?22675-Unity-Assets-Bundle-Extractor

This mod lists out the string number for the portraits that you want.
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/106

You have to go to blueprint and character portraits. It's in a weird location. This picture is a good guide for what to look for, though.
https://i.imgur.com/5SyfQJ5.png

Start by installing Hsinyu's In-Game Data Viewer mod with the mod manager. Find the resource number for the portrait you want. It's under Kingmaker_Data/StreamingAssets/Bundles. Then search and open up the resource pack and extract the portrait, either TGA or PNG. I do TGA since I just open it in GIMP anyways. Works like a charm. Extracted the fighter and the paladin aasimar portraits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did you only get the small photos? I'm not seeing the full length or medium ones that the game uses in that forum link you sent me.

I didn't need the medium or full length ones for the Codex avatar gallery.

I also used UABE, but I want all the portraits, not to go into the game and cherry-pick specific ones. I used to be able to find them all by digging into the resource files manually, now I can't.

Maybe I'll ask you to use that mod to find the location of particular portraits that I previously extracted and can no longer find and see what comes up.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Are the expansions necessary to enjoy the game, or are they missions that add new content and no mechanics?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are the expansions necessary to enjoy the game, or are they missions that add new content and no mechanics?
You can definitely enjoy the game without the expansions. The base game has plenty of content and 99.99% of the mechanics. Of the three expansions, The Wildcards adds a new class (base game already has 15 classes), a new race (8 in the base game) and a new companion (11 in the base game), Vanhold's Lot adds a handful of class features (of which there are already more than enough in the base game) and Beneath the Stolen Lands "only" adds content.

Efe

Erudite
new(?) community manager anastasia was playing (lets say learning) kingmaker and will continue after vacation..
hopefully someone on codex will catch those streams and direct her to rat cave?

Erebus

Arcane
I only just met the Wild Hunt (6th fight on the Bald Hilltop), and I can already tell these guys are going to be a pain in the ass. I'm not quite sure how Wild Gaze works, but it sure is effective, even against characters with a high Will save. Other than Amiri and Nok-Nok, my characters remained paralysed during most of the fight.

Well, I guess Freedom of Movement is going to start being useful.

Delterius

Arcane
You're retarded as usual.

The whole point of the stolen lands is that they are an area of wasteland in a part of the world filled with petty fiefdoms and free towns.

The reason why they are a wasteland is because of spoilers, which is why what powers manage estabilish themselves in the stolen lands are variants of bandit kingpins that number in the dozen and which just take over from the ones before.

The historical arguments work, just as you can various examples of frontier regions where 'adventurers', mercenaries and petty low nobles making their fortune being given a shred of authority to make a group and take on an enemy tribe. This happened a lot in Brazil where a guy marries into a chiefdom and is thereafter named corporal. Later on they become local nobles.

This is a world where heroic individuals slowly manage to achieve levels of personal power that would mark them as superhuman. Ie its fucking sword and sorcery and adventurers are a part of this world.

Jamandi wants to set up dependent powers in the Stolen Lands. She can't invite just anyone in there, they must be strong enough to hold land and weak enough to care about the politics of Brevoy. So she broke the stolen lands in three and set up as many petty barons. She caled for small mercenary companies and her Paladin friend. You're plan B, and since you have nothing to your name you get the more easily conquered and closer land which Restov can supply with more resources.

Yosharian

Arcane
new(?) community manager anastasia was playing (lets say learning) kingmaker and will continue after vacation..
hopefully someone on codex will catch those streams and direct her to rat cave?
A woman community manager that doesn't know how to play the game whose company she works for? Surely not

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom