Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock ain't that bad...

Ash

Arcane
That's an insult to McDonalds, which has redeeming value of quick service, cheap prices, and addictive taste considering said prices.

To me it's more like going into a homeless slum and having a resident pan frying you a giant turd of his own creation: it's a waste of time, disgusting and shameful if you otherwise have taste and standards, and bad for your health. There is no sense in it.

Ash

Arcane
Someone should wash your dumb bitch mouth out, shit-eater, maybe you'll get some taste rather than repping Human Revolution and Bioshock. Your opinion is irrelevant, worthless.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Consoles had RPGs and shooters with exploration. Actual good ones. Deus fucking Ex was released on consoles. Arx Fatalis. Morrowind. ...Bioshock is trash.

The only one of those that was popular on console was Morrowind, and it was only on Xbox. The PS2 was insanely more popular, and what most people used. The PS2 Deus Ex port was not a hit at all like the PC game was. I'm telling you, BioShock was "baby's first System Shock" and Oblivion was "baby's first Western RPG" for a reason. They were courting a new and expanded audience that didn't play the classics we did.

At least Bioshock wasn't trying to be more than it was. Play it as a shooter and it's a great game. Play it like System Shock 3, you're only pissing on your own shoes.

Ash

Arcane
Play it as a shooter and it's a great game.

For goodness sake. No it isn't. It is a failure of a game on a fundamental design level, period. How many times must I explain this.

It's gameplay revolves predominantly around survival, from looting, combat effieciency, upgrades, hacking etc. Yet it features zero consequences for death. this is antithetical to the very definition of "game". Game design 101 fail. This makes every player decision pointless. It's a shooter where god mode is always enabled.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
:popamole:

You post how much you love a variety of trash games in other threads also. I consider your input utterly worthless. I have no interested in arguing with you.

Enjoy your popamole.

Yosharian

Arcane
Play it as a shooter and it's a great game.

For goodness sake. No it isn't. It is a failure of a game on a fundamental design level, period. How many times must I explain this.

It's gameplay revolves predominantly around survival, from looting, combat effieciency, upgrades, hacking etc. Yet it features zero consequences for death. this is antithetical to the very definition of "game". Game design 101 fail. This makes every player decision pointless. It's a shooter where god mode is always enabled.
I must admit I despise Bioshock's respawn 'feature'. Not least because that isn't me, that's a copy of me, not the same thing, so why does the game treat it as such

Yosharian

Arcane

You can explain it ten more times if you want, doesn't mean I agree with you. Also your first two bullet points are literally System Shock 2 butthurt, so way to back me up.

P.S. You can turn off vita chambers and quest arrows, which I do.
You can turn off Vita chambers? I didn't know that.

I played BioShock for around until the end of muh first Shock Medical level, got bored, and then the entirety of it when it was ported on iPads for the lulz. As a tablet game it was ok. As a PC game it sucked. At least on iOS it was rewarding in the same way, that picking up a toy with a claw crane machine was.

Funnily enough, when the new version of iOS came out demanding 64bit compatibility or something, the devs responsible either couldn't be bothered with it or port it, and just scrapped the whole thing from the Store lmao. Guess I was the only person that picked it on sale.

"You guys are so lame enjoying consolized trash like Bioshock lulz. P.S. I played the whole game through on a fucking iPad."

I didn't say that, you did. I simply enjoyed it mostly in a context of this weird curiosity-slash-arguably impressive technological achievement. Else I simply wouldn't give a fuck. There's a difference between playing such a game on a train for 4,99EUR, and on a PC.

Back in the day when iPad was still a thing there were both some good games and ports, also well suited to that kind of thing like Shadowrun: Dragonfall. You can also hate the idea of playing anything as a "mobile" game, but that is another topic.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
It had good atmosphere, I remember enjoying the intro. Getting pissed off at the obvious 'twist' 1/3 of the way through (that you could not change) Reading lots of stuff that was okay because I like being thorough and I've never, ever expected good writing in video games to this day. But mostly the repetitive enemies and the jukeboxes to upgrade. I got really, really tired of the Big Daddies as it became piss easy and a chore. And yes, I turned off the respawn chambers. I believe I made it about 2/3 before getting bored and dumping it. I liked it in parts, I wanted to like it. Some of the environments were cool. But it wasn't enough.

I guess if you were born after 1990 or grew up as a console peasant it might have been awesome. We were promised awesome and it really wasn't, which is fine, buyer beware. I remember getting to the point where I couldn't look at yet another jukebox and daddy-o.

I suppose for five bucks if you're a into grindy, repetitive looter shooters or something it might be okay but really, it was just yet another game that was near the beginning of the decline and shows why games have mostly sucked for the last twenty years. Maybe it's a good point in the history games to show how they got pointed into the direction that has led to the current state of why so many games are the way they are now.

But if someone enjoys it, I don't care, more power to ya. It was an overall disappointment to me at the time.

Consoles had RPGs and shooters with exploration. Actual good ones. Deus fucking Ex was released on consoles. Arx Fatalis. Morrowind. ...Bioshock is trash.
At least Bioshock wasn't trying to be more than it was. Play it as a shooter and it's a great game. Play it like System Shock 3, you're only pissing on your own shoes.
If memory serves, prior to release Ken Levine was hyping it up as a System Shock 2 successor.

Furthermore, I'm fairly sure that before focus testing it had much more complex mechanics.

Come to think of it, the fact that BioShock exists is awesome in a way that it we have Dead Money for New Vegas.

Thinking about the two side by side, it's clear that Avellone ripped off was inspired by every major peculiarity from BS, from aesthetics to plot (Art Deco, hazmat guys in green eyes, vending machines, locations of specific levels, that greedy Frank Fontaine/Dean Domino ruining everything for the entrepreneur in charge of the city with his weird long-term plan, etc).

passerby

Arcane
I'll just drop in to repeat that Bioshock is more of a SS1 clone, than a SS2 one and I think it's decent for what it is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If memory serves, prior to release Ken Levine was hyping it up as a System Shock 2 successor.

I don't remember his PR games enough to really comment, but PR is PR and successor doesn't necessarily mean sequel or having the same mechanics. Also no matter what he said or what the name on the box is, I judge the game by its gameplay and such. I enjoy it as am "immersive sim-lite" exploration shooter, just like I enjoy the other two. Did they change my life and tickle my balls like System Shock 2, Deus Ex and Thief 2? No, but games don't have to in order to be enjoyable.

JDR13

Arcane
They used the term "spiritual successor", but they didn't say it was going to be the same mechanically. I think a lot of people are still butthurt that it wasn't an RPG despite the devs never promising that.

Lemming42

Arcane
Never understood BioShock. I think everyone can agree at this point that the "deep" social commentary and "impossible moral choices" lauded by critics at the time were total fucking jokes.

Don't know if anyone else remembers but the MORAL DILEMMAS were a big part of what journalists pushed in the game before release, and the revelation that it was literally just Fargo-style "do i murder a child for no reason, or do i just not do that" was laugh-out-loud worthy.

BioShock Infinite is just irredeemable. Genuinely among the most soullessly shitty games I've played ever.

JDR13

Arcane
BioShock Infinite is just irredeemable. Genuinely among the most soullessly shitty games I've played ever.

I didn't find Infinite that bad, but I definitely liked the first two games more. I did think the writing was a little better, but the city of Columbia was infinitely (pun intended) less interesting than Rapture to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom