Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Forbidden West - sequel to Hoizon Zero Dawn - coming to PC on March 21st

Too many flashy lights and metallic bits in this game. Like some moron who customized his car or gaming PC. I wish they'd tone this down a bit.
TradeAd1.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this game written by John Gonzalez (F:NV writer) too?
Yes, but he left Guerrilla Games in June, joining (co founding?) new AAA studio in Spain, so if they plan this series as a trilogy, third game is now susceptible to a dip in writing quality.

Oh, that's new. I think I checked his LinkedIn not too long ago.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez/

Narrative Director

New AAA Open World Studio
Jul 2020 – Present
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

I'm off to the magical land of Gaudí and calçots to build an original open world IP with a new cadre of like-minded, crazy-ambitious devs. Details to follow.

Where'd you learn this?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is this game written by John Gonzalez (F:NV writer) too?
Yes, but he left Guerrilla Games in June, joining (co founding?) new AAA studio in Spain, so if they plan this series as a trilogy, third game is now susceptible to a dip in writing quality.

Oh, that's new. I think I checked his LinkedIn not too long ago.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez/

Narrative Director

New AAA Open World Studio
Jul 2020 – Present
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

I'm off to the magical land of Gaudí and calçots to build an original open world IP with a new cadre of like-minded, crazy-ambitious devs. Details to follow.

Where'd you learn this?

Not confirmed that he's working here but I don't think there's another AAA studio opening this month in Spain: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-17-smilegate-opens-new-barcelona-studio

Smilegate opens new Barcelona studio
Spanish office to be focused on AAA titles, beginning with an open-world console game

Seoul-based developer and publisher Smilegate has announced the opening of a new studio in Barcelona as part of its ongoing global expansion.

Smilegate Barcelona will be focused on developing AAA titles, initially working on an unannounced open-world console title.

"As open-world games will continue to dominate the video game industry, we are well-positioned to build upon our team's experience with talent from around the world, and are ready to create a AAA experience from our new studio in Barcelona," said Smilegate Barcelona CEO Yongil Kim.

Smilegate currently has offices in the US, China, Southeast Asia, and Europe alongside its South Korean headquarters. It opened a Berlin office back in 2017, but closed it just over a year later.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I liked HZD, even though it had it's problems (AI a joke etc, especially human AI). I actually enjoyed fighting big robot dinosaurs and the story/world building elements.

Sadly I also expect Guerilla to go full retard on the social justice stuff for the second one. Also not sure how much interest a second instalment will hold when we already know why the world is as it is. One of the main reasons I ploughed through the first was to understand how things in that world went to shit.

Either way I'll definitely wait and see before deciding whether to play...

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Still looks boring as fuck! I bet the writing will be the same uninteresting garbage. I've had sleeps more fun than boredom dawn, this looks like more of the same with some mechanics copied over from other games with shittier execution. Oh! Look, hiding in the bushes underwater, how original. Meh~!

Codex Year of the Donut
who the fuck wants to play a video game where the main character is a menopausal fat woman? wtf
apparently it's entirely intentional, she's supposed to be like 50? how did this even get past sony's marketing team?

vibehunter

Learned
I picked up the first game on PC a while back and enjoyed the machine combat for the most part. But other than that it's a typical Sony exclusive snoozefest. The story builds up this big mystery about how the world ended but the pay-off ended up being completely retarded.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
who the fuck wants to play a video game where the main character is a menopausal fat woman? wtf
apparently it's entirely intentional, she's supposed to be like 50? how did this even get past sony's marketing team?

In the first game she's an older teenager. They really skipped ahead three decades?

Aloy was around 18/19 in the original game, which make her around 45 years old in this sequel.

:what:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
It's the desperation to be taken seriously that's causing all this shit. AAA devs think they're too good for light-hearted fun and will make token attempts like this to prove it. It's especially a shame for Horizon because it means not playing to its strengths. A pretty female mc would fit the game nicely, if you ask me.

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-female-lombax.jpg

heavy-metal.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Funny you mention this, it was seen as a powerful portrayal of a woman at the time. Now it would be criticized for being sexist and misogynistic and other buzzwords.
Dan Goldberg: "We really liked the idea of a woman with a sword who could use it. Who took no shit."
John Bruno: "We did want to have this woman be the ultimate woman warrior. Not only does she not have a name or a voice, she's very focused on what she's going to do: she's just going to kill the bad guys."
Mike Gross: "This story makes up for every frame of the film which might be thought to have a sexist bias against women. In 'Taarna' the heroine cuts a path of vengeance unparalleled in the history of animation."

The original pitch for it was by a woman, btw.

Codex Year of the Donut
What's up with all the fog? Horizon: Fogridden West.
ps5 is a potato, fog requires less geometry to be rendered
biomutant had a day one patch on ps5 to use upscaled 1080p instead of 4k because the game kept crashing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom