Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Latro

Arcane
Adjust difficulty / create options that will make the game easier
I wonder what this will entail. Will he redo the encounters, make some more side areas for loot/XP, and/or add options for max stats, max HP, etc.?
hopefully just add options for init and some other side-stuff, I hope most encounters remain the same

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I also want option for average HP on level up:

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-11_2-1-10.png
    upload_2020-7-11_2-1-10.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 98

Mortmal

Arcane
Remove the gold cost for level up and remove xp cost for crafting, for a start. Making such as half the classes are not sub optimal would help too.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would prefer if he just let this module alone and kept the feedback in mind when designing future ones. That way people who enjoy this stuff get to play a bug-free version of Augury of Chaos, and it can remain in the record books as a contender for world's hardest CRPG. Meanwhile the rest of us can have fun with future modules. I've waited a long time, I can wait a bit longer.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Make a backup of your characters file before installing. New version will delete them from the roster.

The file is under the "Saves" folder, you will see many folders but only 1 file called CharacterRoster.cml make a backup of it and after the installing copy it back and overwrite.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Actually wait I think it just might be the surprise round in the keep battle, it's not making everyone surpised anymore, but it also dumped everyone's move action.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I can't be sure if it's a bug or by design, on the second round everyone got their move action back. Not all the enemies are surprised, but my party can act now. So in reality spell acceleration was working, but since no one had any move action they couldn't cast two spells. Also means you can't use wands on the surprise round which is bad since I was using succor.

By the way you can also report that the description of the succor wand has a typo in it, danage instead of damage.

Noddy

Augur
oh god i did it
im through the gate
that was another one of Pierre's very special encounters

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
You can no longer equip a two hander on the mantis +anything without Oversized two weapon fighting. You equip 1 two hander and that's it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would prefer if he just let this module alone and kept the feedback in mind when designing future ones. That way people who enjoy this stuff get to play a bug-free version of Augury of Chaos, and it can remain in the record books as a contender for world's hardest CRPG. Meanwhile the rest of us can have fun with future modules. I've waited a long time, I can wait a bit longer.
I hope he makes it more manageable. Quick-loading isn't my idea of fun. Maybe he can branch it and make a "Augury of Chaos Classic" module or something, for people who like that. I wonder if you could just keep your own copy of the module files to play it without any changes but get the bug fixes.

bataille

Arcane
One of the problems in kotc 1 was the fact the enemies acted too artificially: no matter the type, be it a simpleton gnoll or a cunning, century-old lich, they all seemed to act like optimized machines, never panicking or making a wrong move. That added to the puzzle-like feel of the encounters: they unfolded in one general way and had their own hard counters. Sure, a wizard that always uses a fireball against your blob of a party during the first round is "optimal" as in "it decimates the player in the most effective way", but it also creates this immersion-breaking feel like you're solving a predetermined puzzle, not surviving an emergent scenario (case in point, feeling like a slave to the initial initiative roll).

Adjusting the various numeric values of the encounters is a tried and true way to tune them, but having multiple options that affect how "optimal" the enemy AI acts would be so much better. Scaling it with enemy intelligence would be perfect, but I doubt it's achievable in any reasonable amount of time. An animated portcullis that is stuck in the loop of the "ready for approach" command shouldn't happen unless you're playing on some weird challenge difficulty setting.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Hope you saved a rest Tweed cos you don't get another one

I can't get past the gate, last time it was going great till I accidentally smashed the second gate down and then someone started casting dispel and it made the entire game hang. I'm starting to get really sleepy too so I'm probably going to hang it up for now, looks like you'll be the first to taste sweet victory.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Are you suggesting to randomize the AI?

One of the problems in kotc 1 was the fact the enemies acted too artificially: no matter the type, be it a simpleton gnoll or a cunning, century-old lich, they all seemed to act like optimized machines, never panicking or making a wrong move. That added to the puzzle-like feel of the encounters: they unfolded in one general way and had their own hard counters. Sure, a wizard that always uses a fireball against your blob of a party during the first round is "optimal" as in "it decimates the player in the most effective way", but it also creates this immersion-breaking feel like you're solving a predetermined puzzle, not surviving an emergent scenario (case in point, feeling like a slave to the initial initiative roll).

Adjusting the various numeric values of the encounters is a tried and true way to tune them, but having multiple options that affect how "optimal" the enemy AI acts would be so much better. Scaling it with enemy intelligence would be perfect, but I doubt it's achievable in any reasonable amount of time. An animated portcullis that is stuck in the loop of the "ready for approach" command shouldn't happen unless you're playing on some weird challenge difficulty setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom