Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's been nine months, are they just going to wait until they can bundle the DLC with the Steam release? :lol:
I think that's what they will do, so chances are they will announce the DLC recently as a promotion.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Hopefully the fix the frame drops that happen whenever you're walking around outside or inside cities with this magical DLC.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yep, but then Dollarhyde redid that part according to her own *experience* and removed any option dialog options that were slightly *bigoted* so she doesn't get her feelings hurt.
Did none of her leads explain to her roleplaying =/= playing as yourself?

This makes perfect sense when one realizes that the political left has long since lost the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality.

That's just one among many childish traits that they share in common with actual children.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played through this with the help of microsoft game pass for pc beta trial (1 eur for 3 months, or something, way too much money though). I'm far from a codex tryhard, you know, as you get old you grow softer....but this was the worst game I've ever completed.

- Story: mostly bad, unsipiring. Humor is forced
- Itemization: irrelevant, inconsequential.
Except for the final battle, to which I accidentally brought a special gloop(?) weapon that was crucial for a victory
- Companions: boring, forgettable
- Quests: Boring, railroaded - heck there was even literal rails on some of the planets. Also a lot of fedex quests to help a lesbian.
- World(s): Mostly pungent and garish aesthetics, maps feeling smallish.
- Music: It was good, actually.

And the ship looked cool.

Never again.

Drowed

Arcane
I can't say that I think that TOW is that terrible, but... Just unbelievably boring.

I played and completed it on release (I got it on GamePass), and being honest and without any exaggeration here, I can barely remember the game or any of the characters. It's kinda amazing in a way. I vaguely remember the party members and the ship's computer chick, but I wouldn't know the name of any of them in my head without having to search online. I have very vague memories of the events in the game, I remember the quest you chose where to redirect the power, I also remember a quest where you invaded a mansion or something... And I remember the map that was an asteroid because it looked cool/different. And that's it.

I don't remember the dialogues, any interesting revelations, or any outstanding events. It reminds me when you watch a TV show just because it's what on air that moment, in the end you barely know what you saw. It's like the whole game was filler content, but the worst part is you don't even have anything to fill. I can't say I hated it because even hating sounds like a reaction too strong for it. Until I saw this topic appear again here in the list of recent topics I had completely forgotten about its existence.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for me the best thing about the game ended up being the companions, ironically enough, since i was hating on them so much pre-release. everything else besides them and their interactions was average to below-average.

EDIT: also being able to do parvati's romance questing and then kill her girlfriend in front of her was hilarious, props to obsidian for that. the bonus on that cake is that you can then intimidate parvati into not leaving your crew under threat of hunting her down and killing her, which is just :chef's kiss:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Wait, it HAS been released?

...Oh, it's available only on the Epic Store. :lol:

God damn, I was expecting this game to have its fair share of fanboys and defenders, but instead no one noticed and there's just nothing.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Steam players are a minority when you consider console gamers. It's not that no one noticed it came out, people played it and promptly forgot about it, without providing any (positive) word-of-mouth because of how forgettable it is.

Quillon

Arcane
The game is 20% Mass Effect, 80% (fps)Fallout wannabe; they shoulda at least made the reverse of that; cloning ME was more in line with their current "talent" & resources, also a proven formula for a space setting. Bigger fallout part missed many "crap gamebryo" features and overblown humor didn't help either.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not sure if they could recreate the parts of the Mass Effect games that made them good.
Absolutely none of the companions were anywhere near as well written as say, Garrus, who actually feels like a bro that has your back. None of their writers could ever create an emotional scene like Mordin's in ME3, I don't think there's a single line in the entire game that has the impact of Mordin saying "Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong." They'd never be capable of creating anything as good as the Shadow Broker DLC. They'd never be able to have levels designed that recreate the feeling of when you enter the Citadel, especially exploring it in ME1. They'd never be capable of creating anything like the final mission of Mass Effect 2.
They might match some of Mass Effect's lows, but they'd never ever hit the highs, and the highs are what made the mass effect games good.

All of this applies to Andromeda too, BTW. I remember basically nothing about that game. Andromeda is pretty much what I'd expect from an Obsidian Mass Effect at this point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
None of BioWare's current writers could match any of the older Mass Effect games anymore, either. However, the Mass Effect games were made-for-console casualware with so-so writing to begin with; BioWare is just so far gone now that they can't even hope to attain their previous levels of middling competency.

Your comparison's still valid in a way, though, because Obsidian has also lost the ability to make good games. New Vegas was absolutely their peak. I'm just glad we got TSL and NV (both of which improved on the base games of inferior writers and world-builders) before they went to shit.

soulburner

Cipher
I think the game was alright. I won't replay it, but I will check the DLC once it comes out. I think the game's length was just about right because I was getting a bit bored near the end and the credits rolled at just about the right time before I started to dislike the whole thing. However, watching the credits and listening to the music felt satisfactory and in the end I did not think I have wasted my time. As a non-AAA type of game I think it was good enough to warrant my interest in DLC and sequel but only if they're available through Gamepass PC.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Obsidian is probably dead, their attempts at making CRPGs after POE flopped hard. Tyranny was a sales desaster and POE 2 sold way under expectations to the point where it sank the franchise.
This painfully mediocre game however sold gangbusters and now they are making a shitty multiplayer game with minipeople?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your post reminds of how before TOW was announced, some people who weren't paying attention assumed that Obsidian was just continuing to make more isometric RPGs like Pillars and Tyranny.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I think the game was alright. I won't replay it, but I will check the DLC once it comes out. I think the game's length was just about right because I was getting a bit bored near the end and the credits rolled at just about the right time before I started to dislike the whole thing. However, watching the credits and listening to the music felt satisfactory and in the end I did not think I have wasted my time. As a non-AAA type of game I think it was good enough to warrant my interest in DLC and sequel but only if they're available through Gamepass PC.

Agree with everything, although I had arrived at the "dislike" stage just before credits rolled. I think the hate on here is a bit OTT, but many of the criticisms are valid. I'd have been pissed off if I paid full price for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom