Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
lol

meanwhile on sawyer's twitch (note top right)

63c91ae1eb8fe3c62deea0d2feff882b.jpg
I am getting to like the authist more this days.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
To be a skyrim-clone they need to have a body running around on screen. (so that we can have nekkid butt running around we can ogle, and body replacer mod).

If they didnt have a body running around on screen, it aint no skyrim clone.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be a skyrim-clone they need to have a body running around on screen. (so that we can have nekkid butt running around we can ogle, and body replacer mod).

If they didnt have a body running around on screen, it aint no skyrim clone.

First person should be the focus, but these types of games should always have a third person camera.

How else can you appreciate quality nude mods?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
even around here people generally thought the Deadfire DLC (lead writer was a they/them communist) was better written than the main game (lead writer was a straight white cismale who is into European history). Talent knows no gender identity

Most Dexers are severely autistic, they couldn't tell good writing from bad if it fondled their shrivelled balls. To this day many of them think D:OS is well written and TW3 writing is bad.

And sure, there are good female writers. When it comes to epic high fantasy tho, full of great battles, heroic deeds and political intrigue, p. much ALL the greatest works have been written by men, and it's not due to oppreshun.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
let's just say I don't expect much from Obsidian

Neither do I. But I admit being naive in the way that when I see something with some potential, I do kinda root for it a bit until it gets clear it doesn't deliver. And I don't play much games these days anyway (because most are just utter shit). That's why I followed CDPR's Cyberpunk too, which seems to be going somewhat south as far as gameplay is concerned...

If this game had bee advertised as a 3rd person RPG, I would've probably shrugged it right off. But, their execution of things notwithstanding, Bethesda's core idea behind their games is actually quite good. And seeing how Avowed is quite specifically being advertised as a "Skyrim-like", I kinda expect Obsidian to have been noticed it's shortcomings too. And in lieu with the afore mentioned selfproclaimed naivety, I kinda wish that they take the gameplay- and character systems heavily into account on that one, since among other things, Skyrim was criticised for simplifying things too much.

It is likely that it all dries down when the first batches of information about this game comes out, but what can you do, that's how it goes.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should take a page or two from Wizardry 8 while they're at it. It had a really fun skill and progression system (skillpoints per levelup + learn while doing).

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The only problem i see with this picture is that almost everyone in America seems to be at least 10 pounds overweight.

Ulysa

Scholar
Oh shit, I just remembered that one of the reasons I quit TOW was because it made me want to puke (... Motion sickness).
I sense nausea inbound...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Funny that FNV and TOW are basically Obsidian's best selling games, huh?

I'm skeptical because I don't think Obsidian can handle the gameplay side of open world RPGs, but it's easy to see that there's going to be a market for this.

It's not surprising at all.
  • Fallout: New Vegas was marketed by Bethesda Softworks and people bought it expecting Fallout 3.5. Many were disappointed.
  • The Outer Worlds was marketed as coming from the "original Fallout" devs, and was carried by the New Vegas fanbase. Many were disappointed too.
  • With the exception of South Park: TSoT, the other modern Obsidian games are just cRPGs, never the most popular genre.
We will have to wait to see how Avowed does, but unless we see something mindblowing, I suspect it will do just a bit better than The Outer Worlds.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout: New Vegas was marketed by Bethesda Softworks and people bought it expecting Fallout 3.5. Many were disappointed.
lmao even the normies have come to a consensus that its better than fallout 3

Have they truly, though? Normies move on from game to game, and they are playing Fallout 4 now. Hence why you always see "I wish Bethesda remade the first two games with Fallout 4 gameplay".

The New Vegas crowd is a passionate minority.

Delterius

Arcane
Fallout: New Vegas was marketed by Bethesda Softworks and people bought it expecting Fallout 3.5. Many were disappointed.
lmao even the normies have come to a consensus that its better than fallout 3

Have they truly, though? Normies move on from game to game, and they are playing Fallout 4 now. Hence why you always see "I wish Bethesda remade the first two games with Fallout 4 gameplay".

The New Vegas crowd is a passionate minority.
the actual phrase is 'i wish fallout 4 was like new vegas'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom