Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Beggar

Cipher
You need some poise while blocking those attacks while running to the second weak spot. Or otherwise it shoves you down the hole

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Have you actually watched a speedrun for this? You can just go to the center and drop two firebombs to the barriers from there. 1h4m20s

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Prestigious, but also weirdly underrated. It got stuck with that "noob weapon" label by a tryhard community (I'm as guilty of this as anyone) and is now usually ignored despite being a fantastic choice for a solid third of the game.
Underrated eh? IMHO if you're going for OP early game you should just get the Zweihander in skeleland and two hand it while you don't have the strength for one handing. You can get it before the drake sword and it rocks the whole game. In particular being able to pancake people in places like Sen's Fortress can be a life saver.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Sure, but the Zwei is also heavier, consumes more stamina and at 16 strength (bare minimum to two-hand it) and 10 dex, it deals less damage than the drake sword before upgrades. Granted, drake can't pancake anyone, but in DS, dead is pretty much always preferable to downed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was recently looking for some blind DS playthrough to help me unwind after a hard days work laughing at dumbfuck newbies and after some proper ragers, blabbers and idiots I found this.

The chick is not the greatest fighter in the community and some of her mistakes are hilarious but she reads descriptions, she pays attention to the lore and she's aspie-grade persistent. I sure as shit missed half the stuff in my first run that she discovered. Plus I find her presentation pleasant and relaxing. So I thought I'll just throw it here.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can also recommend Kay Plays on YouTube. One of the incredibly few female let's players where you can see an educated approach to the game. It's actually beautiful to see a person just sitting there for 1 hour reading and informing themselves how the game works.

She still misses seeing the Demon as she exits her cell. Don't expect miracles.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
She still misses seeing the Demon as she exits her cell. Don't expect miracles.

Dude, I missed so much shit on my 1st run. Jesus, if I recorded it and threw on YT people in the comments would think I'm a total retard. Also I'm a man and I don't need no stupid reading coz obviously I can easily man-mode everything and coast through the game on the strength of my manly skillz. And so I suffered like a draft horse.

I completely missed the stairs in Firelink going down to the maiden (discovered them only when I came back from Anor Londo with the Vessel), never went back to the Asylum (altho that is an objectively retarded puzzle - I found the nest, curled up but when nothing happened I figured I need a quest item to trigger something and fucked off), never thought of jumping down under the Firelink elevator, never thought of trying to cut off tails, never found any of the hidden bonfires, let alone the Great Hollow/Ash Lake area, never figured out how to defeat the hydra, I needed 10 tries at Taurus and 20+ at Capra (that shit almost broke me) and a million other fuckups. In retrospect I'm still puzzled about how the fuck did I beat the game.

Silverfish

Arbiter
never went back to the Asylum (altho that is an objectively retarded puzzle - I found the nest, curled up but when nothing happened I figured I need a quest item to trigger something and fucked off),

I missed this as well. I never figured out how to get up to the nest, but hilariously figured that that must be why the crow was staying at Firelink and that it would be some major plot point later.

Agreed that return to Asylum is kind of bullshit, especially because it gates off Painted World. I’m sure there must be some hints pointing towards it, but in 3 playthroughs I’ve never noticed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Agreed that return to Asylum is kind of bullshit, especially because it gates off Painted World. I’m sure there must be some hints pointing towards it, but in 3 playthroughs I’ve never noticed.

There is a hint in the description of the Asylum West key that you find in Firelink:

But even if a hero found a key in Lordran to liberate this prison, would he have the means, or the heart, to ever come back?

Now that I'm watching that chick's LP I'm realizing most of the things I had trouble figuring out are either hinted at or outright explained. You ARE told you can go back to Asylum, Andre tells you skeletons in the Catacombs can be beaten with divine weps and you'll find a divine blacksmith in the Darkroot Garden, Petrus tells you you can get the kindling ritual in the Catacombs and so on. There are also tons of hints in the descriptions.

But if you're a cocky asshole like me, never reading anything, then you have a hard time.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also missed the stairs leading down at Firelink. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I finally noticed them.

But in that aborted first (blind) attempt my main stat was Resistance, since it made sense, right? So my problematic powers of observation were irrelevant anyway...

To be fair in a lot of games NPC lines and item descriptions like this are pure fluff where writers are padding out their word count. Its sort of a reflexive action to not pay attention.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crestfallen Warrior: "You again? There's nothing to speak about, really. Oh, actually... Something strange did happen. That crow flew off with somebody in its clutches. I think it was a man curled up in a ball. Stranger things have happened, right? No, maybe not..."

Elwro

Arcane
So guys, what are your tried and true methods for cutting the tails off Seath and Priscilla? (I'm in NG+.) I wasn't able to manage this in NG and I don't want to screw up again

The_Mask

Patron
Seath: Have a lightning buff ready. Lure him into smashing his own crystal. Use the moment to circle around him and do as much damage as possible.
Priscilla: (You plan to hurt the waifu, heathen... ? May you writhe in pain for all eternity!) High poise damaging pyromancies are the best, because they don't tend to over kill her, but knock her out of her invisibility. I recommend Great Chaos Fireball, because the D.O.T. keeps her busy for that tiny 0.5s extra seconds. Try not to miss.

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks. I hoped there would be a method of cutting P's tail with a single chop before the actual fight, but ok... and as for Seath, I'm confused by all these tentacles he has. Is there a single one that counts as the actual tail?

The_Mask

Patron
The one in the back, obviously. To make it very hard if you go solo. The situation gets much easier in coop, but I gave you advice you can act on without coop help.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But in that aborted first (blind) attempt my main stat was Resistance, since it made sense, right?

My first build was DEX/FTH, with pumping up FTH first since years ago I saw a miracle build video with someone throwing lightning like fucking Zeus so I thought that's uber cool and I want this too. Sadly I never figured out how to get through the Hellkite dragon so I never discovered the sunbro covenant. I wasted maybe 10 early levels on FTH that I never ever used.

Elwro

Arcane
But in that aborted first (blind) attempt my main stat was Resistance, since it made sense, right?

My first build was DEX/FTH, with pumping up FTH first since years ago I saw a miracle build video with someone throwing lightning like fucking Zeus so I thought that's uber cool and I want this too. Sadly I never figured out how to get through the Hellkite dragon so I never discovered the sunbro covenant. I wasted maybe 10 early levels on FTH that I never ever used.
I cried in the cave near Queelag, killing bugs and mosquitoes so I could improve my armor, which surely was my Wanderer's main problem...

Silverfish

Arbiter

Funny enough, I had the exact opposite problem with faith. In my first run, I had no idea how the stat scaling worked (I thought it was limited to stat requirements like New Vegas), so when the option presented itself, I upgraded a zweihander with the divine path thinking "wow, free bonus damage", but with no investment at all into faith. Anor Londo was fun.

Elwro

Arcane
I managed to beat O&S on NG+ with Smough killed second. I realized it was the first time I did this. Some funky attacks this chum had in his special form.

But of course I screwed up and wasn't able to cut Priscilla's tail before she turns invisible. Have you guys tried the gaping dragon tail axe's R2 as a method of making her visible again? I don't want to kill her accidentally since I'm not a fan of coming here in NG++

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom