Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your recommended CRPGs from the last decade?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
The Witcher 3 - A game from the Witcher series, but open world. The gameplay is as popamole as you can guess, but the ambiance/setting and the narrative is very captivating. There's plenty of C&C there, and if you don't mind looking for some MODs, you might even enjoy the combat.

like what MODs? could this combat be fixed?

Enhanced Edition, IMO, is the only thing worth talking about. Dramatically changes the combat and just about everything else too.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
First part of Stygian was really good, maybe on par with some parts of Arcanum. Then it all went into the androgyne's cloaca.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a real Baldur's Gate clone, if you like BG.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Definitely recommend:

Underrail
Age of Decadence
Fallout Nevada
New Vegas
Fallout Sonora when it's properly finished and translated
Fallout 1.5

Heard some good words about:
Atom RPG
Darkwood (does it classify as RPG, though?)
Disco-Elysium
Kenshi

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The Witcher 3 - A game from the Witcher series, but open world. The gameplay is as popamole as you can guess, but the ambiance/setting and the narrative is very captivating. There's plenty of C&C there, and if you don't mind looking for some MODs, you might even enjoy the combat.

like what MODs? could this combat be fixed?

Enhanced Edition, IMO, is the only thing worth talking about. Dramatically changes the combat and just about everything else too.

The life without The Witcher 3: Enhanced Edition is not worth living." - Socrates

"I play The Witcher 3: Enhanced Edition therefore I am." - Descartes

"I might be blind, but even I can see this mod is amazing." - Homer

"This made me NOT regret selling the patent to CDPR." - Andrzej Sapkowski

In the last decade only two games really got me hooked from the first minute to the finale:

Grimoire with its unparalleled exploring, its wonderful encounters, quirky world and plethora of creative ideas.
Dark Disciple II (the freeware game from around 2010) with its interesting RPG system, its diverse and giant world full of details and secrets, its creative puzzles and its overall great atmosphere of adventure and mystery.

Both games are really long, took me weeks or even months to complete, but they never bored me for a second. I also tried most of the "hot" AAA-stuff but didn't finish a single one in the last decade.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Divinity Original Sin was by far the best RPG to come out of the Renaissance.

If you wanna catch up on the last decade, I'd also like to take the opportunity to shill: Invisible Inc.; a turn-based tactical stealth game and probably my favorite game of all time, Templar Battleforce; a tactical combat RPG with objective based battles and huuuge class skill trees - sadly too often overlooked due to mobile design but its really deep, actually; Star Traders Frontiers, Firefly The Game, sandbox universe RPG in which you can be a smuggler, a merchant, a bounty hunter, an explorer.. whatever. The singular systems are a little shallow in and of themselves but the emergent sandbox gameplay makes it bigger than its parts, if you are into that kind of thing.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
Fallout New Vegas
Enderal: Forgotten Stories ( i know it's a skyrim mod but it's fucking good)
Alpha Protocol
Dragon's Dogma
Mount & Blade: Warband
Underrail
Expeditions Conquistador and Vikings
and tyranny if you can tolerate shit rtwp combat.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose that everything is mentioned, but hey, here goes:

Underrail is a great game for combat and exploration. Building your characters and planning how to beat encounters that wiped your ass is great fun.

If you like the Gothic series, I do recommend ELEX. It isn't quite up there with Gothic 1 and 2, but it's very enjoyably. The first Risen is also recommended, although that was released in late 2009.

You HAVE to get Blackguards. It's currently 90% off on Steam, which makes it €1. I really liked the character progression and fights were fun. One of my favorite Tactical rpgs in the last decade. I got the second game but gave up on it. They had to fix what wasn't broken and add some elements that were thoroughly unenjoyable.

The Age of Decadence is fun if you don't mind being locked to the one path your character is suited for, which means you'll need multiple playthroughs to see everything. The game isn't super long, so replaying it isn't a pita.

Dungeon Rats is by the same team and uses the combat of The Age of Decadence. While AoD is a single character game, this is party based and is purely combat focused. I'm currently playing this and having fun.

I'm enjoying Pathfinder: Kingmaker with a turn-based mod, but official turn-based support will be coming very soon. It's a better game than both Pillars of Eternity games. I'm not a fan of the kingdom management, which is acceptable, but not my thing. This is the game closest to a Baldur's Gate sequel in the way it plays.

If you don't mind Chinese rpgs, I have to recommend all of the games made by Heluo Studio. Check them out and feel free to ask me anything.

Iyt might not be liked on here, but I have a soft spot for Antharion. The writing is pitifully bad, but the exploration is fun and the combat is serviceable.

Atom RPG is popular on the codex. I have it in my backlog, so I can't personally recommend it yet.

Consortium is a sort of cool immersive sim. The scope isn't super big and it doesn't offer up may hours of gameplay, but it was an unique experience.

Dex is a cool 2D sides crolling Deus Ex. I'm not sure if that's your thing, but I had fun with it.

Dishonored, it's standalone expansion and Dishonored 2 are quite nice if you like the Thief games. They aren't rpgs, but good enough immersive sims. Play on the hardest difficulty and limit the use of your powers if you wish.

It's really, really slow, but in spite of that, I enjoyed Drakensang: River of Time. If you don't mind the Dark Eye ruleset and like party based games, try it out. It's much better than the older Drakensang game, imo.

If you're looking for a bit of goofiness, puzzle elements (albeit very simple) and not an overly long turn-based game, then I recommend The Dwarf Run.

Legends of Eisenwald is pretty cool. I think that the general codex consensus is that it was a good game.

Expeditions: Conquistador is another personal favorite of mine. This is the biggest surprise game for me. I did get it on release and all, but the writing was still the biggest positive surprise I have seen in any game. Combat can get repetitive and character building isn't super complicated, but the package as a whole is really well done. Expeditions: Viking is another game in the series, but this one is structured more like a regular rpg compared to the first game. If I remember correctly, the advancement of your characters is better in this one, but the writing is worse. I prefer Conwuistador over Viking.

Game of Thrones had a decent rpg. It doesn't touch much of the characters of the books/show, which is good. Its its own thing with a cool story and decent writing.

I had a love/hate relationship with Inquisitor. I liked the story and setting. What is a pita are all the mobs you fight and the amount of times you have to backtrack to sell your inventory.

I'd like to recommend Knights of the Chalice 2, but it's not for sale yet, and I think that it needs some tweaks before an official release for non-backers. I'm doing better on each attempt, but I am nowhere near to beating the game.

I haven't beaten it yet, or rather, I'm very early in the game, but Lords of Xulima is an interesting game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you like Tactical "RPG", i'd also recommend Warbanners.
Spiritual successor to Fantasy General, without the research part, still, you get more powerful recruits gradually.
Even if nothing beats the number of units, the commanders with their special skills and the many heroes from Fantasy General, Warbanners has better handcrafted encounters with siege battles on both sides (defending or attacking a castle), a lot of variety in the missions, it'd have been nice to have a bit more heroes but you get some cool ones anyway.

ATOM RPG
If you're a Fallout 1 & 2 fan, you'll love it.
It's really difficult at first until you level up a bit and find some companions, might even need to start over at some point and the skill tree isn't my favorite feature but some quests are really good and even with the fallout combat, it's way better than wasteland 2.

KOTC 2
It'll probably be released on steam next fall so brace yourself, this is it!
I'm really having a blast with this one, constantly finding an excuse to start over in order not to complete it.
It's not perfect though, the game isn't 500 hours long so you'll complete it sooner or later ...

I also vouch Expeditions series (Vikings and conquistadors), their engine isn't the best thing that happened to cRPG but the tactical combat is quite good and i even like Vikings better because of its focus, even side quests respect your status and main goal, it's not that common.

And if you want to play blobbers, three choices Might & Magic X if you prefer something easy to get into with dumb down mechanism (but a somewhat interesting combat system) or the real Deal, Grimoire, if you have 100/200 hours on your hands and the Wizardry 7 nostalgia.
Right in between, Legends of Amberland is a slightly simplified Might & Magic III clone, charming, interesting and quite good to be honest, interesting overworld exploration, some nasty beasts to skewer and great swords to plunder.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In no particular order the games (strictly 2010-2019) i think are worth it:

1. Skyrim
2. Fallout 4
3. Witcher 2
4. Witcher 3
5. Deux Ex Human Revolution
6. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
7. Dragon Age II
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Mass Effect 3
10. Assassin Creed Odyssey
11. Fallout New Vegas

You can ignore everything else. Those are the only RPGs worth playing. And to be honest they are so large, replayable, and many of them moddable, you don't really need anything else.

Dramart

Learned
In no particular order the games (strictly 2010-2019) i think are worth it:

1. Skyrim
2. Fallout 4
3. Witcher 2
4. Witcher 3
5. Deux Ex Human Revolution
6. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
7. Dragon Age II
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Mass Effect 3
10. Assassin Creed Odyssey
11. Fallout New Vegas

You can ignore everything else. Those are the only RPGs worth playing. And to be honest they are so large, replayable, and many of them moddable, you don't really need anything else.
Mass Effect is the best in the series mr. Templar, and the three games must be played, playing just the 2nd and 3rd is pointless.

Falksi

Arcane
Reading through the other posts I'd just add........

Don't skip Shadowrun Returns. It's the perfect appetiser for Dragonfall, and better than Hong Kong IMO.

I fucking loved what I played of Tyranny (around 15 hours) but the PC can't handle taking it any further (New PC nearer 2021). Another one not to overlook.

It's never a CRPG in a million years, but if you like tactical stuff Hard West is fucking quality.

The Banner Saga is depressing & slow, but still quality if you like that type of stuff.

Everyone else has covered the rest.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.

Vatnik Wumao
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.
I was under the impression that it was quite short and that it ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom