Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm sure Spector would've added that option if only the technology was available back then.

mk0

Learned
exactly.

wielding a huge ass sword is synonymous with lack of... high damage!

apologetic slurping imbecile.

so much fanbois of a mediocre game that is regarded like the summit that Cyberpunk2077 would only dream to reach, disgusting.
:deathclaw:

Takamori

Learned
We already know that you cannot.
Yeah at least you need one augmented shoved to see Keanu Reeves haunting you for the main plot :negative:

Hope I don't need to become a fucking cyberfreak with even an augmented schlong in order to proceed.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Cyberpunk is really just needlessly expensive paper dolls with an optional video game attached.

And at the same time you have autists on reddit wanking themselves silly about how they think they're going to spend real in-game time in bars/restaurants just eating or drinking. I think this game has sent people round the bend.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I hadn't seen that. Damn. My expectations aren't realistic either (I'll settle for "Human Revolution, but not as good"), but that's something else.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's this kind of dystopian future where things kind of went wrong, where humanity never stopped emitting carbon...

lazer-eyed-greta-1024x580.jpg

Prime Junta

WTF is the deal with that Arasaka SMG? How do you even hold it? And how is the magazine tilted that way, rather than the other way, is the ammo fatter in the front than the back? IT MAKES NO SENSE

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
WTF is the deal with that Arasaka SMG? How do you even hold it? And how is the magazine tilted that way, rather than the other way, is the ammo fatter in the front than the back? IT MAKES NO SENSE

style over substance? seems to be a recurring theme.
Yeah, sadly, for some weird reason it's all too common especially for cyberpunk weapons and armor designs nowdays.
Here's a fresh example from Cyberknights: Flashpoints.

M4rdzHy.png

I guess the trigger is supposed to be pulled with middle finger.
And I see no reason for bullets to be fed with this strange angle except to increase the chance of malfunction.

Prime Junta

Arasaka is supposed to represent the neo-militaristic function-over-form aesthetic. It didn't become Arasaka by making blingy guns that don't work.

Obviously bullshit designs like this trigger me. It's not like you can't design a cool-looking gun that also looks functional, both mechanically and ergonomically.

-- Ironically, the pink BudgetArms gun looks much more functional. Can't exactly see what the moving parts are and how it reloads the chamber -- maybe it's all encapsulated in the bulbous part behind the grip, that would be possible if it uses caseless ammo and there's nothing to eject? -- but it's certainly much more plausible than the Arasaka thing.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I mean, you guys are right about the guns, but that close up on the mantis blade is downright depressing. It looks suitably imposing from a distance, but up close, it'd be a trifle for you or I, let alone some dude with metal arms to just snap the wrists off.

Prime Junta

Yeah, sadly, for some weird reason it's all too common especially for cyberpunk weapons and armor designs nowdays.
This is what happens when people without a clue of how the firearms work are given task to design some guns.

The rot goes deeper than that. Lots of designers have no interest in learning how things work, and they can only conceive of design as appearances. It doesn't matter if you don't know how guns work, you can find out enough to design a plausible video game gun with a few hours on Wikipedia. It just doesn't occur to them to do so.

It's hardly surprising as the current generation of designers working on video games was largely brought up on boobplate and giant anime swords. If fantasy armaments aren't expected to make sense, why should cyberpunk be any different?

Duralux for Durabux

The rot goes deeper than that. Lots of designers have no interest in learning how things work, and they can only conceive of design as appearances. It doesn't matter if you don't know how guns work, you can find out enough to design a plausible video game gun with a few hours on Wikipedia. It just doesn't occur to them to do so.

It's hardly surprising as the current generation of designers working on video games was largely brought up on boobplate and giant anime swords. If fantasy armaments aren't expected to make sense, why should cyberpunk be any different?
The funniest thing is that every guns they try to make look like toys (the pistol look like a water gun, I'm not even joking I have a water gun that looks exactly like it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom