Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mk0

Learned
It's overrated.

Look in the video at the timestamped instance where the player slashes that mage three times.

If Cyberpunk came with that footage, everybody would cry what shit the melee combat is.

You're being disingenuous. That move is called 'Flurry of Blows', death by a thousand cuts is the whole point behind it, it's not supposed to cause strong hit reactions like the other moves you can do.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Nothing can beat source engine on physics and character movement, which is crucial part of melee and unarmed combat. This is why Dark Messiah and Zeno Clash 1 will always be remembered while M&B will not. (it's floaty too wonky not in the right way)
What about Mordhau?
no.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It ain't perfect, but I can't think of a game with better first-person melee combat.

Zeno Clash? Genuine question, I barely remember it, but I'm pretty sure it's considered one of the better ones. Also Dark Messiah's was better than that video acts like it was.

Honestly though I'll be silenced pistol headshotting, so it matters little to me.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Why, though? Haven't played it, but heard some good things about.
Subjectively speaking, those two things I said above. Movement and punching. Pretty sword animations are persuasive, yes, but I always felt like I'm shooting a gun with near zero range of fire (this is how knife in STALKER is implemented :lol:). Funny thing is, latest CP2077 katana snippets already don't feel like this.

FEAR and Half-Life weren’t meant to be an exhaustive list of all games that stand out for their AI, but the fact is that gaming AI on the level of FEAR(or Stalker, another good example) stands out a mile(the FEAR creator wrote a paper published by MIT on his AI work, for example) and has not generally been surpassed. It is noteworthy that there is seemingly no serious effort to do so, either.

My personal experience with schoolmates who went on to become serious AI engineers combined with what I see and read has led me to conclude that there is comparatively no perceived market(money, payoff) for more developed gaming AI. You get some one-offs, sure.
What exactly was so impressive about FEAR's AI? From what I remember the enemies were nearly brain dead, attacking alone when they outnumber the player, watching walls instead of the last direction they heard sound coming from... They did some callouts but it can't be that hard to script some lines to whatever the player is standing near.

"how do you do melee in a first-person perspective?"

Find the guys who worked on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and ask them. Best first-person melee combat to date, even if the game's other aspects were meh.

It's overrated.

Look in the video at the timestamped instance where the player slashes that mage three times.

If Cyberpunk came with that footage, everybody would cry what shit the melee combat is.

:what:
WTF
This is what people have been raving about as being "good FPP melee"? Literally looks like playing war with balloon swords, except even less feedback

Prime Junta

They did some callouts but it can't be that hard to script some lines to whatever the player is standing near.

The callouts were actually a really simple trick that I'm surprised wasn't immediately copied by everybody else. Combat barks happen whenever an AI state changes. The only difference with FEAR is that instead of having just the agent whose state changed bark, they recorded bits of dialogue where parts of the bark would fire from other agents.

Example:

Agent 1: registers a hit

Normally, this would trigger a bark, "I'm hit!"

In FEAR, however, this would go like this the following:

Agent 1: Registers a hit
Agent 2: "What's your status?"
Agent 1: "I'm hit, but not bad!"
Agent 3: "I'm moving in to assist!"

That's all. It's just combat barks, except recorded to fire from multiple agents rather than just one. They don't actually do anything other than create the illusion that the AI is coordinating.

Source: http://www.gameaipro.com/GameAIPro2...gue_in_FEAR_The_Illusion_of_Communication.pdf

Quillon

Arcane
Remember Deadfire had free DLCs, even adding sidekicks and shit. They treated the game thinking it'll be a really big success with Witcher 3-like post release support :dealwithit: . No wonder Sawya's still traumatized by it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A game's values aren't it's mechanics, retard.

Game mechanics are about what actions can be performed, how to perform them and what purpose they serve.

Values, even if linked and therefore having impact to it, aren't gameplay mechanics.

Just because Dark Messiah had poor balancing doesn't mean it's gameplay was also poor.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
exactly.

wielding a huge ass sword is synonymous with lack of... high damage!

apologetic slurping imbecile.
For a record, I'm not a fanboy of Dark Messiah - I dropped it twice without finishing - but the guy in the video uses the shitty "furry of blows" which deals diddly-squat of damage and doesn't even stunlock the enemies. Power charges hit good and with feedback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom