Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Underhive Wars - tactical RPG from Mordheim devs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

zapotec

Liturgist
reminds me of the classes presentation videos of team fortress 2.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Are they trying to attract the fucking Borderlands audience? I'm not against a bit of fun in my grim dark future but that was stupid.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Hype dying down, I feel like I've seen the same two trailers remixed 6 times with different voice overs.

Wtf are they trying to hide?

kangaxx

Arbiter

• 5 man deployment limit
  • Only 3 of the 6 main houses playable on release
  • Health bars rather than 'wounds' mechanic
  • No bottle test mechanic
  • No mention of whether things like pinning mechanic are present (AFAIK)
  • Basically it doesn't seem like the TT game, which IMO is a strange design choice for something so niche

• 5 man deployment limit
  • Basically it doesn't seem like the TT game, which IMO is a strange design choice for something so niche

The "bottle test" was removed because of the lower band size, I guess, since a couple of casualties would be enough to cause morale checks and battles would be very short. There was such a test in Mordheim, by the same devs, but the band size there was about 10-11 strong.

The health vs wounds thing was a thing in Mordheim too, so I was expecting it here. It helps the game be less swingy.

I was hyped for this game, but between the gimped band size and the little amount of gameplay being shown, I'll wait for the reviews and a discount.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Presumably they've gone with lower gang size in order to make sure fights don't go on too long... but they removed the mechanic that helps to ensure that anyway (and was important to the flow of the TT game from (distant) memory). The bottle mechanic also arguably helped keep fights from being less swingy, because if your people were getting shot up then you had a higher chance to pretty much auto-lose.

Btw this immense butthurt is aimed at the devs, not you!

When this was announced I had it down as a day one purchase, now I'll wait until all gangs are released and in a bundle it's on sale... all the while nursing my hurt butt.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

• 5 man deployment limit

Perhaps they aren't aiming for the TT game crowd, which is a small niche, but rather the nuXCOM crowd, with a 40k coat of paint

kangaxx

Arbiter
Yes, I believe you're right. I just think anyone who has any kind of affinity with the IP (even if a nuXCOMer) will find the differences jarring. If I'm right then it would mean they're banking on hooking in those without any knowledge of the IP... and I'm not sure why they'd buy this.

I'm not so sure about that. I played Mordheim back in the day (it's still sitting in one of my shelves) and the PC version hit the right chords with me. I understood why the mechanics were tweaked that way, and the conversion felt fine. Mordheim's battles could drag on for a while, which was an issue for some people, and I think Necromunda's smaller head count is geared towards shorter battles, which is a shame.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'm starting to wonder if the 5 player limit isn't because of multiplayer in which case this provides another example of multi dictacting sp which is becoming an increasingly pet peeve of mine.

I liked my big battles in mordheim but then I always played sp and use cheat engine speed hack so never felt the pace slow, in multi i'd imagine it would be a different story.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
House Goliath and Escher are the lamest, one-note Necromunda houses, yet somehow the face of the franchise apparently. I would much rather have house Van Saar.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
House Goliath and Escher are the lamest, one-note Necromunda houses, yet somehow the face of the franchise apparently. I would much rather have house Van Saar.
Goliaths have always been the face of the game, ripped super muscular giants are photogenic for the cover art.

And even Goliath and Escher are more interesting than the new no-note Orlocks. :|

I like Van Saar too, they have an interesting hook (and in the original game at least, an exclusive skill tree no one else could use!) No one is better than my beloved Delaque though.

XpNpiDf.jpg

Some of my men from about 25 years ago. I just found my old figures cleaning out old closets. Note the custom hat on El Mystico.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Goliaths have always been the face of the game, ripped super muscular giants are photogenic for the cover art.

And even Goliath and Escher are more interesting than the new no-note Orlocks. :|

I like Van Saar too, they have an interesting hook (and in the original game at least, an exclusive skill tree no one else could use!) No one is better than my beloved Delaque though.

Some of my men from about 25 years ago. I just found my old figures cleaning out old closets. Note the custom hat on El Mystico.

Hah classic.

I haven't really gotten into Necromunda lore until recently, although it's always been on the fringes as someone who follows 40k.

Aren't Orlocks just generic underhive gangers?

kangaxx

Arbiter
I was always quite partial to the Cawdor and Escher, but I've long since lost my gangs (must have thrown them out 20 years ago+).

Just had a look at the nu school models GW have released, and I have to say the OG models are way better IMO. Maybe rose tinted nostalgia, who knows.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I was always quite partial to the Cawdor and Escher, but I've long since lost my gangs (must have thrown them out 20 years ago+).

Just had a look at the nu school models GW have released, and I have to say the OG models are way better IMO. Maybe rose tinted nostalgia, who knows.
Old%2Bvs%2BNew%2BGoliath%2BGangers%2B3.jpg

I don't mind the new designs too much, and I do like the fact that they have stick grenades that double as melee weapons.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aren't Orlocks just generic underhive gangers?
Back in the day, Orlocks were Hispanic arms dealers with headbands. OK OK, real world nationalities aren't a thing in 40K, but they had a distinctive look and that's the "vibe" they had. It was cool and they stood out. Nowadays they look like shrimpy Goliath wannabes on a budget. Even their fucking mohawks are small and inoffensive. That stupid baby blue armor in this game doesn't help them look cool either.

Also k0syak I updated my image link above, thank you for the
BrokenImage.png

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't mind the new designs too much, and I do like the fact that they have stick grenades that double as melee weapons
You sure these aren't orks?

You see, when an ork smacks something with a grenade and it explodes, that's just the grenade working as intended. When a humie smacks something with a grenade and it explodes, that's just a dumb move.

Mostly because the ork has at least a 70% chance of surviving.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom