Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Currently at level 17 and the enemy has starts to become bullet sponge, every one has 500+ health, meanwhile my melee character with 45 armor and 10 str still gets one shot by the enemy sniper for some reason.

My Sniper is level 8 and just crit something for 962 damage.
I'm not sure if the game broke or this is normal.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Hmm, I have a really tough time deciding the focus attribute for my sniper.
Already have 6 Coordination (with Serial Killer to get the second shot more often).
Plus moderate Int and Luck. But I'm thinking Awareness might be good also. Up to +35% reliable damage and up to +10% to hit (not that much, but stacks - and every miss sucks as a sniper - while enemies are often behind cover, some may also have high Evasion?).
Int improves crit chance and crit damage. But you also can add a lot of static crit chance bonuses (Goat Killer, Tomcat, rabbit foot, rifle base crit chance, rifle sight, helmet bonus plus probably more), so again, up to +10% crit chance is maybe max +50% crit rate.
Meanwhile Luck, if I understand correctly, when you do crit, might make it really count. Plus provide extra AP, loot etc.

So, Int vs Luck vs Awareness on a sniper. Discuss.

With 2 points in int you get one skill point that you can invest in sniper skills which is worth 3 points of awareness in hit chance bonus, and at max int you get 25% crit chance and 1,1x critical damage. With all the items and traits you can get to add to that stat plus the high base crit chance of sniper weapons you'll be criting very often and very hard even early on.

I don't see a scenario where awareness is not a secondary skill for snipers that you should invest on after you max coordination and int. The added ranged damage is useful for weapons that fire multiple shots per attack but not that relevant for single shot weapons.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Also, if you max out coordination and pick death wish or serial killer, on top of firing two shots you can mark targets. A sniper shot with precision strike on marked targets, with the high crit chance and damage, can take down even tanky bosses. I one shot that beastmaster dorsey in colorado springs like that and probably would have done it even if he had twice the HP.

The clones fight was a piece of cake aswell, could take one of the clones down with my sniper alone.

Speaking of which, an advice on that fight is to fry the turret's CPU instead of disabling it if one of your guys has precision strike ready on first round. And try not to put your guys too close to each other so they don't all get hit by the shrinking grenade.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Currently at level 17 and the enemy has starts to become bullet sponge, every one has 500+ health, meanwhile my melee character with 45 armor and 10 str still gets one shot by the enemy sniper for some reason.

My Sniper is level 8 and just crit something for 962 damage.
I'm not sure if the game broke or this is normal.

Hmm, lucky "Mega Crit"?
Luck stat lists this as an option.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Btw, I forgot about sneaky shit. It's pretty much a mandatory skill for snipers. You get double the damage at max lvl on sneak shots and 40% more initiative.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Already have 6 Coordination (with Serial Killer to get the second shot more often).
Plus moderate Int and Luck. But I'm thinking Awareness might be good also. Up to +35% reliable damage and up to +10% to hit (not that much, but stacks - and every miss sucks as a sniper - while enemies are often behind cover, some may also have high Evasion?).
Int improves crit chance and crit damage. But you also can add a lot of static crit chance bonuses (Goat Killer, Tomcat, rabbit foot, rifle base crit chance, rifle sight, helmet bonus plus probably more), so again, up to +10% crit chance is maybe max +50% crit rate.
Meanwhile Luck, if I understand correctly, when you do crit, might make it really count. Plus provide extra AP, loot etc.

With 2 points in int you get one skill point that you can invest in sniper skills which is worth 3 points of awareness in hit chance bonus, and at max int you get 25% crit chance and 1,1x critical damage. With all the items and traits you can get to add to that stat plus the high base crit chance of sniper weapons you'll be criting very often and very hard even early on.

I don't see a scenario where awareness is not a secondary skill for snipers that you should invest on after you max coordination and int. The added ranged damage is useful for weapons that fire multiple shots per attack but not that relevant for single shot weapons.

Thank you for the suggestion. That 1 extra skill point will only help on game start. Int doesn't provide extra skill points per level and skills cost more then 1 point after rank 3 (up to 5 points for final rank).

Also not sure if I agree with bonus damage from Awareness. +35% damage is +35% damage, regardless if added to a single shot or to 3, 5 or even 9 weaker shots.

And unless I'm mistaken, it should also be multiplied on crits to provide even stronger effect.

Brickfrog

Learned
Also, if you max out coordination and pick death wish or serial killer, on top of firing two shots you can mark targets. A sniper shot with precision strike on marked targets, with the high crit chance and damage, can take down even tanky bosses. I one shot that beastmaster dorsey in colorado springs like that and probably would have done it even if he had twice the HP.

The clones fight was a piece of cake aswell, could take one of the clones down with my sniper alone.

Speaking of which, an advice on that fight is to fry the turret's CPU instead of disabling it if one of your guys has precision strike ready on first round. And try not to put your guys too close to each other so they don't all get hit by the shrinking grenade.
You can also hack the turret if you have the skill but your dude might get blown up on his next turn if he doesn't have the AP to get back into cover

Does anyone know if there's any way to increase the range of hack? I made the mistake of putting nerd stuff on my sniper without thinking lol

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Thank you for the suggestion. That 1 extra skill point will only help on game start. Int doesn't provide extra skill points per level and skills cost more then 1 point after rank 3 (up to 5 points for final rank).

Also not sure if I agree with bonus damage from Awareness. +35% damage is +35% damage, regardless if added to a single shot or to 3, 5 or even 9 weaker shots.

And unless I'm mistaken, it should also be multiplied on crits to provide even stronger effect.

Except you don't have inifnite attribute points to spend on your character. You have to choose between int or awareness, and IMO awareness is not as useful as int for snipers.

You get 5 skill points at int max lvl. That's 3 points I think you can invest in sniper skills, which gives you 12% bonus hit chance. You get that with max awareness.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Good point about maxing APs in order to Mark in addition to shooting twice.

However I've also been thinking about the Perk choice. I went with Serial Killer, as Death Wish seemed too risky. Also loosing armor (and its buffs and mods) sucks.

But some issues:
1. Serial Killer isn't active before combat mode starts, so after alpha sneak attack you youre stuck with 3 AP and can't shoot at all in 1st round,
2. You don't ALWAYS kill enemies (on Ranger),
3. Lastly with 8 Coordination you could attack twice every 2nd round anyway with AP saving action. A universal damage buff like Sadomasohist +33% could potentially be better in this case?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Except you don't have inifnite attribute points to spend on your character. You have to choose between int or awareness, and IMO awareness is not as useful as int for snipers.

You get 5 skill points at int max lvl. That's 3 points I think you can invest in sniper skills, which gives you 12% bonus hit chance. You get that with max awareness.
Except that bonus will stack with Awareness bonus. And If you're a sniper, you'll want max Sniper ranks regardless, I think. Getting there 1-2 levels sooner isn't such a big deal IMO.

Maxing hit chance should be good for Risky Shot rifle special.

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
is ammo scarsity a thing? in 2 only if everyone had an assualt rifle ammo was a problem.

I don't think so, I'm focusing on different weapons in this playthrough and it's only an issue at the very first moment a new ammo type is introduced. Even if you focus on one weapon type, there are skills that encompass more than one weapon (small arms is shotguns and handguns) and there are multiple variants of weapons in the same categories (e.g. energy rifles that run on batteries).

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I would say I at least enjoy it, if not for the fact that one of my characters is stuck under the textures, dead and I can not leave the area as my group is not close enough to the travel point.

I am really glad I saved because I did not realize and only one autosave exists. If that is not an argument for multiple quicksaves and autosaves whenever you damn want I do not know what is. Well I'll hope they can fix it and I can continue.

It was enjoyable enough at least thus far but it's fucking buggy, but with that I am happy that it came basically free in the gamepass.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Awareness looks useless. I've put 8 points into COO and took the No Armor/+3AP quirk so I can shoot twice a turn. Worked wonders back in W2. Also I'll max out INT asap for the krazy krits and only then I'll work on Luck. A sniper should be all about them crits.

is ammo scarsity a thing? in 2 only if everyone had an assualt rifle ammo was a problem.
Playing on Ranger and so far it's p. bad for my sniper. Found only 6 or so sniper bullets in the early game so I've been mostly using my Assault Weapon. I'm sure I'll get richer later on but scarcity seems to be a thing.

Xeon

Augur
Is there a way to see a companion's disposition towards you? In WL2 you had companions going psychos and lose control of them or leaving you if you are not careful. Someone said that is still present in WL3 but I can't find it.

Imrahil

Educated
Several hours in & mostly enjoying it so far. The world-building & characters are surprisingly well done & deep. You really get a feel for the different factions involved. While some of the NPC's are a little cookie-cutter & generic, most of the important ones have a good story & background, but without reading aloud from their diary the first time you meet them. You get a feel for their character & history more from other people giving you their opinions. Lots of choices & different ways to handle situations.

So thumbs up overall so far, but I'm still going to complain about some stuff that is tedious. Mostly QoL stuff. Anyway, here are the minor annoying things that irritate me so far:

- Some of the early Colorado Springs Skill Checks are crazy hard. There's no way you can be at Lvl 6 Lockpicks or Level 4 Nerd Stuff when you hit these checks, which can stop you in your tracks. I suppose you can create infinite Rangers to cover everything but that feels gamey to me.
- Load times are atrocious. Whether area transitions or loading a save, even with a SSD.
- Graphics are nice, definite improvement over WL2, but nothing spectacular. Wish I could zoom in on my toons more.
- Frame Rate drops to choppy levels frequently, stuttering often in Colorado Springs.
- Inventory is a joke & needs a major overhaul.
- The fact that you can't double-click on the map & have the screen jump to that location is a pain.
- It keeps unselecting my team & leaving only one character selected without me realizing it whenever a character performs an action. I get halfway across the map before I realize my team isn't following me anymore.
- This whole "We go, then they go" thing in combat is annoying. I liked the WL2 method of having my guys & their guys interspersed better, although they did fix the issue where Awareness > All.
- I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add weapon or armor mods (it was so simple in WL2!) & the fact that you can't remove them (so I've read while trying to figure this out) is definitely going to be an annoyance down the line.

Still, despite all these complaints I'm enjoying the game so far. There aren't really any useless skills anymore. Even Barter comes into play now in dialogue. Pistols are actually decent. Melee seems useless so far though although I'm still early & it took a while for any Melee to come online in WL2. Haven't hit any bugs yet.

Also, minor companion spoiler...
I *finally* got Jodie Bell to get off her cute little ass & she joined my squad. Now she is bestest #1 waifu forever.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've no idea how much C&C there is down the line, but the game does present a lot of choices between factions during quests/missions. Whether these have any impact later, I'm not sure but I hope so.

Also regardless of the C&C factor, your choices do seem to get referenced a lot by other characters.

Xeon

Augur
Man, the Redd duo have so much health and they summon spiders or whatever, I almost manged to kill one of them and the dumbass ended up healing himself almost to full. Tried to get a full Animal whisperer and get as many animals as tanks to buy time to kill the other party but that melee chick one shots each animal.

Also Wolfe guy just sits there in the middle of combat, not doing anything with his team and he pretends to be a big shot or some shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've no idea how much C&C there is down the line, but the game does present a lot of choices between factions during quests/missions. Whether these have any impact later, I'm not sure but I hope so.

You may get allies for the final mission based on who you helped or fucked, just like in W2. I liked that feature.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Really liking luck so far but it is a very hit and miss thing, on one battle, I was able to act three times before the turn was over and when I crit, boy, luck crits REALLY hurt but on another battle, you might get nothing from it. I really think however that you should go to coordination first to get the two shot sniper that is more reliable damage, there are the quirks and also, rally from leadership when activated has a buff of +2 AP for everybody and there are drugs for more AP, so you dont need to go all the way on coordination, then go all the way on luck if you are fine on how it works, dunno if you gain more by going for intelligence but that 20% evasion from luck is nice.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, really enjoying this so far. Up to Bizarre and been playing pretty much every chance I get. InXile finally made a decent game, the worst I can say about it is the UI in an abomination and it's a bit buggy, but overall it's pretty damn good.

Dialogue is enjoyable to read and not too cringy, combat is better than average so far. Character building has plenty of options and I'm always deliberating on what to pick on level-up, so all in all it's a good 'un.

Xeon

Augur
Someone on reddit posted a screenshot of him getting 31k by selling junk using the perk of 5% increase value, sounds pretty nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom