Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is your favourite RPG the one you've spent the most time playing?

No. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are FAR from my favorite RPGs. I wouldn't even say they are good RPGs. But they do have a great modding community that constantly create amazing stuff so I've spent much more time playing those than my favorite RPG: Fallout: New Vegas (which granted I've still played tons of. just not as much).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Most time I spent on RPGs? Let's see...

I started playing way before platforms like Steam or GOG which actually tell you the time you spend on games (propably to make you feel bad) but if I had to guess I would say:

Fallout 2 (3 full playthroughs and many shorter tries)
Witcher 1 (4 full playthroughs).

So I guess it's true, these are ones of my favourites.

But I really need to play Arcanum, New Vegas, Underrail and Witcher 3 more (1 playthrough each).

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
Good question. That would make Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate my favourite RPGs. Sounds about right, but the thought of starting either one again now puts the fear of god in me. That kind of time commitment is daunting.

SumDrunkGuy

Nah. I've probably put more time into Diablo 2 than anything else, but it's not my favorite. I'm sure it was when I was a kid though.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Fallout: New Vegas is great, and I've completed it 4 times, but it isn't my favorite. I simply wasn't into RPGs, but tried NV at a classmate's house.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Mostly. The one game I've spent a fuckton of time on, despite always thinking it has many glaring flaws, is BG2. But I didn't do as many playhtroughs of it as other games I value (much) higher, like F1-2 or Wiz8.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Skyrim! Only good RPGs have dragon shouts, and the rest can't even be called RPGs because they lack dragon shouts!

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
430-500 hrs in Battle Brothers, which was my favorite but now its old hat. Amberland was nostalgic but a short-lived favorite. I have no favorite at the moment, maybe W3 once I can motivate myself to try.

Favorite this and that change unless you are dead.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well I'm playing Deus Ex once a year and PST, Fallout 1,2 (and mods) and BG1,2 and mods once every couple of years. Also I've finished VTMB with all clans once and about 2-3 times with the Malkavian. So yeah.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone who answers "no" to this question is just deluding himself as to what his favorite is, probably because he has shit taste. There is no reason anyone would spend the most time time with something other than his favorite when given the choice.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Most CRPGs are not games you spend very much time on, unless you constantly replay a small selection of favourites.

I spent lots of time playing Diablo 2, Morrowind and Oblivion, but they are not my favourite CRPGs.

It's easier to spend much time on non-CRPG favourites, like Thief 1-2, HoMM 2-3, Age of Wonders 1-2 and shooters like Doom thanks to the user made content, or Master of Orion thanks to generated maps.
What do we get for CRPGs? Mostly romancing mods.

And CRPGs are in general too story focused to be replayable or moddable.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably yes. Back in the day there was no Steam to count your hours played, but I'm pretty sure I racked up hundreds of hours in Arcanum and Morrowind considering how often I replayed them in the 00s.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's easier to spend much time on non-CRPG favourites, like Thief 1-2, HoMM 2-3, Age of Wonders 1-2 and shooters like Doom thanks to the user made content, or Master of Orion thanks to generated maps.

That's true. I only bought the Thief games on Steam last Christmas, but already racked up 370 hours on them.
And I have been playing them since 2009, so my real hours must be in the thousands. Considering how much time I spent with various fan missions, Thief must be my most-played game of all time.
The Steam-tracked hours also include using the editor to build fan missions of my own.

Strategy games like Total War and Civ are a close second. Especially Rome 1, Medieval 2, and Civ 4 because those all have plenty of total conversion mods.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

The fact that the Infinity Engine games used painted backgrounds made modding hard. It wasn't until Neverwinter Nights that we saw a ton of usermade content in RPGs, unless I'm mistaken.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No, because the one I've spent the most time on is my own, and it's far away not my favorite. At least it's about hookers, so it's not a total snoozefest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom