Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Mortmal

Arcane
So your seductress can't just instantly collect all the best men in range.

Bah, a seductress can just seduce them to her court. But yeah, it's probably to prevent poaching good characters. I still think opinion influence is capped too low though.

Anyway, back to griping. I absolutely hate how they removed ships from the game entirely. Yes, the way they worked in CK2 was tedious, but even that was better than this. The way AI uses this ability to turn into boats is just jaw-dropping stupid, and I only started playing this game. I declare war, they turn into boats and sail for my capitol. I smash them, they retreat into sea, turn into boats and sail for my capitol. A completely land-locked eastern european country is easily sending their troops over to Ireland. Overseas enclaves everywhere, because sea as an obstacle is meaningless now, as are straits and other choke points since all can be bypassed by just walking around them over water. Seriously, fuck this shit.
If you dont take every fortress in your logistical path you get ton of atttrition, if you do you can move the doom stack with no trouble. There at least some chokepoints on land and a fortress improvment . Embarking is costing ton of gold but it lack some depth , everyone could invade great britain that way.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
All the religious shit feels irrelevant,it is just a button down in the right that is used for decoration. Even the religion making mechanics are shallow and the world doesn't react to them. The is zero reactivity from anything when it comes to religion.

In my game in the HRE two dukes/duchies converted to a strange non-Christian heresy and the emperor doesn't care at all. Maybe the realm laws don't allow title revocation, but it still feels very weird.

Talking about laws, I wish the council empowerment (voting on executions, titles, wars) would make a return but apparently too many people hated it.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Was also a bit surprised there was no retribution for cheating and other personal life offenses, and I was playing a strict offshoot of Islam where that shit does not remotely fly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All the religious shit feels irrelevant,it is just a button down in the right that is used for decoration. Even the religion making mechanics are shallow and the world doesn't react to them. The is zero reactivity from anything when it comes to religion.

In my game in the HRE two dukes/duchies converted to a strange non-Christian heresy and the emperor doesn't care at all. Maybe the realm laws don't allow title revocation, but it still feels very weird.

Talking about laws, I wish the council empowerment (voting on executing, titles, wars) would make a return but apparently too many people hated it.
Well i did mend the great schism.....all of the western part are independent countries and not part me own :smug:

VdZsBDx.png

What anti-blobbing changes are there in CK3? It seems trivially easy to blob right now.
I meant it's harder now to maintain your personal power, due to Partition being the default law, it being harder to change and you not being able to kill off your own unwanted children anymore.

It really isn't. Just holy war a bit and give the rest of your children a duchy or two until it says they will inherit nothing. Even if you don't do this, you can fabricate claims on all your previous land, it will take about 5 years and 500 or so gold. You also have dread to keep the realm stable when your own troop count is diminished, and vassals seem less likely to enter factions with high relations. Everyone whose played CK2 knows that civil wars can become inevitable when you have only a few thousand troops even if all your realm has huge relations because they'll be able to join factions even at 80-100 relations.

Also keep in mind that in CK3 you always get full taxes/levies from your subjects under feudal laws. So large realms basically don't need personal power anymore even if you are hated. In CK2 you had to have 100 relations for max levies.

The holy war against the kingdom of egypt gave me enough titles to land all my children (I have equal laws) such that my heir will get everything in the main duchy which is most of the developed demesne. Well, I need 3 more holy wars for the most recent children to ensure he keeps everything, but still. The only problem on succession is that guinea empire splits away but its actually very small now due to dejure drift and its one effortless war to rein it back in.

ieQPJFI.jpg

btw check out the Renown I get from having 2530 living members of my dynasty. You better believe the game crashes when I go to view my dynasty tree

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Its the hat they got confused and thought you were Muslim. Reminder that Christianity is all about hats. So much so that the pope requires two at once.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Where are my trade routes? And mines? Salt mines, silver mines, gold mines etc. income from mines was very important for medieval kingdoms, sometimes it was only source of power and income for certain countries.

Is there a way to speed up innovation if you are not the culture head?
Aside from increasing the average development of your culture, no. Improving development is very slow (99% of the work is done by the other 99% of counts/dukes that occupy the culture), while converting high-development areas to your culture is still fairly low returns (though you should do that).

Where are my trade routes? And mines? Salt mines, silver mines, gold mines etc. income from mines was very important for medieval kingdoms, sometimes it was only source of power and income for certain countries.

There are a few mines in specific provinces, the wiki has the list.

Quilty

Magister
The bad:

- you can only declare war for a single title, you can't press multiple claims like in CK2.

I may be mistaken, but isn't one of the cultural advancements an option to go to war for multiple titles? I could swear I saw that option on the culture screen...

thesecret1

Arcane
Am I blind, or did they completely remove history for titles? Like in CK2, you could look up who were, for example, all the previous rulers of Byzantium. Is that not a thing in CK3?

Consul

Arbiter

This is the faggot who thought it was a good idea to remove "Deus Vult!" from the game. For that reason I avoid watching his videos, not that I liked them very much in the first place, I found his voice kind of annoying.

I haven't personally verified if that was his twitter or not, there is a very small chance that this could be an impostor, but I doubt it. Just wanted to include this disclaimier in my message.

Consul

Arbiter
Am I blind, or did they completely remove history for titles? Like in CK2, you could look up who were, for example, all the previous rulers of Byzantium. Is that not a thing in CK3?
I remember there being such a thing, I think it's the same as in CK2. You click on the CoA of a title and then on an icon of an opened book, this shows you title history.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

In the title view, click the book left of "Claimants".

Tigranes

Arcane
A common? issue seems to be that your Crusader King of Jerusalem will quickly convert to Islam to avoid dealing with rebels and invasions every god damn week.

Although I could see that happening historically to at least couple of the notable Crusaders...

Quilty

Magister
Bros, I didn't have time to look into this, maybe someone else has: even though we seem to be locked into gavelkind, I noticed that if you open the screen for a particular title you hold, let's say a duchy, and look in the bottom of the panel, you can see the option to change succession laws for that title by paying prestige. You can choose anything, even elective. I didn't have time today to try it out, has anyone figured out how that works?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Both my Tripoli Emir and Alfred the Great games started this way with total strangers playing Mockingbird on me,

thesecret1

Arcane
So far it feels like a mixed bag. The lack of bookmarks is a major decline, no merchant republics or holy orders, historicity seems to get even less focus than in CK2 while faggotry seems to be getting an undue level of attention, pagans are absolutely shafted with how tribal governments work and their faith prevents going feudal, and, well, there's a LOT less to do than in CK2. I like the baronies, on the other hand, combat feels a lot better, the hooks thing is kinda fun, and I like the added use of high prestige, piety, and dynastic renown (which were useless for all except final score in CK2). Peasants throwing their weight between factions is also a nice touch, as is the rework of retinues.

Not bad, all things considered. In fact, it's probably the best launch Paradox had in recent history – game is less fucked than even CK2 was (maybe you didn't play CK2 on day 1 or don't remember, but that shit was pretty fucked with its civil war popamole and other things). Pleasantly surprised, albeit a bit disappointed with the memey direction they seem to be moving in (then again, that's nothing new). I have high hopes this'll become pretty good with some expansions and mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom