Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You could for eg, the tadpole giving increased chance to hit enemies and that is it. But HP inflation made spells like Sleep worthless.

An half swording optional rule also could be interesting.

Lambach

Arcane
Lowering AC but increasing HP also tips the scales more in favor of martial classes, because it decreases the potency of direct damage spells, and there aren't really any particularly great CC spells at levels 1 and 2 (Sleep and Web are the only two worthwhile ones that come to mind and the 5.0's version of Sleep is nerfed by HP bloat as well).

Vatnik Wumao
There's quite a few references to henchmen and they're completely separate from companions.
Oh boy, I just hope that it isn't Deadfire henchmen all over again. Then again, they've mentioned that on release we'll be able to hire mercenaries, so maybe 'henchmen' is the term that they refer to these blank slate companions as.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's quite a few references to henchmen and they're completely separate from companions.
Oh boy, I just hope that it isn't Deadfire henchmen all over again. Then again, they've mentioned that on release we'll be able to hire mercenaries, so maybe 'henchmen' is the term that they refer to these blank slate companions as.
Considering how much D:OS2 origin characters are involved in the story (and how much BG3 ones will probably be), a series of less-involved sidekicks doesn't seem like a bad idea. They would still probably be more involved than Deadfire's actual companions.

Why is this conversation happening under spoilers?

Vatnik Wumao
Considering how much D:OS2 origin characters are involved in the story (and how much BG3 ones will probably be), a series of less-involved sidekicks doesn't seem like a bad idea. They would still probably be more involved than Deadfire's actual companions.

Dunno. Just responded in turn to rusty_shackleford's spoilered comment.

That said, I don't see the point in having Skyrim tier companions besides the main ones. Just give me good ol' mercenaries and that's that.

Black

Arcane

That said, I don't see the point in having Skyrim tier companions besides the main ones. Just give me good ol' mercenaries and that's that.
Made you look

Vatnik Wumao

Made you look
Oh you.
:outrage:

Farewell into the night

Made you look
Oh you.
:outrage:
_5K_zu11h0lyUnNJv0d4w8DFmU_oDD5L0OaU0HFGgmx9hYhE0Q9Hao8Gyhpefm8SgrCTHZ9QLLTDCkvV2BCwasrcZg1ucAKaMiqsNrpFVrbxr10DCnhhFkMDgNhgjuGHaafpIKAzAc3I1S-ClR2nfMTKlSzaQDQ

Honestly if that would the choice I'd take Deadfire henchmen over "We'll have just six-seven companions in the entire game because we want each one of them to be a fucking origin story" (and cost ten times as much to make).

Vatnik Wumao
Honestly if that would the choice I'd take Deadfire henchmen over "We'll have just six-seven companions in the entire game because we want each one of them to be a fucking origin story" (and cost ten times as much to make).
So you're into wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle game design, eh? You still have mercenaries for hire if you dislike the premade characters, but there's no point in having half-assed companions whose characterization amounts to looks and a few lines of inconsequential dialogue. Fully fleshed out companions on the other hand are both better characterized and have their own content associated with them in the form of quests and (presumably) interact with and/or impact the story.

So you're into wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle game design, eh? .
You're trying a bit too hard here.
I'm into: "I like more than three options and I don't give much of a shit about playing these characters as my main".

You still have mercenaries for hire if you dislike the premade characters, but there's no point in having half-assed companions whose characterization amounts to looks and a few lines of inconsequential dialogue. Fully fleshed out companions on the other hand are both better characterized and have their own content associated with them in the form of quests and (presumably) interact with and/or impact the story
Eh, so? "Half assed companions" is better than "No companions" and for all their shortcoming "henchmen" are at least supposed to be tied to some quest and have minimal input in dialogues, rather than bein completely user-generated robot.

Murk

Arcane
I think a god dies only when nobody remembers their name anymore?
That was Terry Pratchett.
Or Neil Gaiman.

Nah, jokes aside I bet it's a trope used in a lot of places. Not sure about D&D.

Amaunator in BG 2 (part of the quest to resolve the beholder cult).

Though Amaunator was reincarnated as Lathandar (I think), so eh. He was weakened because his followers had turned their back on him, and it's not until his high priest speaks his name that he is able to show up in his avatar form.

edit: I'm neutral on the HP/AC thing. I was one-shotting nearly every goblin who wasn't a named warboss or whatever. Most of the generic goblins had 13-15 HP, which seems to be a maxed out HP roll + con modifier judging from the 5e monster manual.

d79b3287b98ba6a4ec237a6691f7acf8.png

But I'm not really a 5e purist (lol, is anyone?) so I don't care if every monster is treated as having maxed out HP rolls with lower AC since PCs seem to have the same.

TBH I'm fine either way, but I hope that it doesn't end up like PoE2 where accuracy becomes the single most important stat.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There is no consistency with gods since they are tied to mechanics so much they get changed around every edition. Remember the Raven Queen?!

Gyor

Savant
So, yes, the default mode will most likely have lower AC and higher HP so people get less upset at repeated misses.

Give the OPTION to play with the true rules. Also, you are assuming that everyone will be playing as a human fighter like an jrpg. On the stream that I watched, most people was asking for warlock over and over and having to hit an enemy 20 times with eldritch blast is not fun or engaging. Is more easy to just nerf enemy AC on the begining.
here is the very first negative review I saw when scrolling down their steam page:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008297010/recommended/1086940/
RNG - I played black desert online - and I RNG has soured games for me in the past. The dice roll process is ruthless in this game, you will miss and fail all the time I can not emphasize this enough unless you love baseball and are ok succeeding 25% of the time this game will frustrate you. The worst part is I feel like I am really missing story components because people die or hate me because i fail a roll. (maybe an ez roll mode for storyline quest in the final rollout)
second
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975900299/recommended/1086940/
unbalanced repetitive combat,
A few combats later, and it's yet another slog of ranged misses
So a few dialogues in, you're quick-saving before each conversation, then reloading when the roll fails and redoing the dialogue again, and the reload time is painfully long and after watching the loading too many times you no longer care which way skill checks go, and suddenly you're in combat all the time.
and 'everybody comically misses round after round of ranged attacks'.

Now imagine how much worse this would be with standard AC.
Are they retarded? Probably. Larian devs probably think they're too dumb to know how to put their pants on correctly.

People like this is why Swen plans on adding loaded dice option.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So, yes, the default mode will most likely have lower AC and higher HP so people get less upset at repeated misses.

Give the OPTION to play with the true rules. Also, you are assuming that everyone will be playing as a human fighter like an jrpg. On the stream that I watched, most people was asking for warlock over and over and having to hit an enemy 20 times with eldritch blast is not fun or engaging. Is more easy to just nerf enemy AC on the begining.
here is the very first negative review I saw when scrolling down their steam page:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008297010/recommended/1086940/
RNG - I played black desert online - and I RNG has soured games for me in the past. The dice roll process is ruthless in this game, you will miss and fail all the time I can not emphasize this enough unless you love baseball and are ok succeeding 25% of the time this game will frustrate you. The worst part is I feel like I am really missing story components because people die or hate me because i fail a roll. (maybe an ez roll mode for storyline quest in the final rollout)
second
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975900299/recommended/1086940/
unbalanced repetitive combat,
A few combats later, and it's yet another slog of ranged misses
So a few dialogues in, you're quick-saving before each conversation, then reloading when the roll fails and redoing the dialogue again, and the reload time is painfully long and after watching the loading too many times you no longer care which way skill checks go, and suddenly you're in combat all the time.
and 'everybody comically misses round after round of ranged attacks'.

Now imagine how much worse this would be with standard AC.
Are they retarded? Probably. Larian devs probably think they're too dumb to know how to put their pants on correctly.

People like this is why Swen plans on adding loaded dice option.
Yeah easy mode should be the default with every mainstream game. Then name all the other modes stuff like “hard, uberhard, you will never win this, impossible” or else players with egos bigger than their skill level will just set the difficulty higher and whine about how hard the game is anyway.

It’s all so tiresome.

tripedal

Augur
Is it really that crazy to think that missing 2/3 of your attacks is not very fun? It's not like they removed missing, you still miss a lot. Obviously the AC->HP change unbalances many aspects of the system, but that's fixable...

I actually think the higher degree of variance is more fun. But I’m a psycho who enjoys stuff like Blood Bowl and card games

Is it really that crazy to think that missing 2/3 of your attacks is not very fun? It's not like they removed missing, you still miss a lot. Obviously the AC->HP change unbalances many aspects of the system, but that's fixable...

Hypothetically, if missing 2/3 isn’t fun, then is there an amount of missing that is fun? Is it 1/3 of the time?

This type of balancing often leads to almost deterministic play where you only miss on a 1/20 chance, and personally that swings things too much into rote strategy that you apply every encounter as opposed to tactical adaptation (or to put it another way, it turns into a puzzle tactical game where you solve most ‘puzzles’ by the same solution every time).

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The only people playing this game are people stupid enough to be part of the larian crowd so it's not too shocking to me that there are a lot of complaints about missing. Say whatever you want about Swen(He sucks), but he knows his audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom