Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You're all autists

buffalo bill

Arcane
Skill based system> rng based system .
op is right and you are all wrong niggas
Player skill - character skill - RNG. Combination of any two outweighs the third one, but while the first two are under the player control, the third one is not and thus unreliable. If it's all about RNG, then the player is mentally challenged and has no skill himself and can't build a proper character.
Rng makes the game balance all over the place. While savescum can eliminate the problem, imagine playing in iron man and your char dies because consecutive bad rolls . It's just retadred

The people who like this sort of swingy system are the same people who still think AD&D 2E is the best version of the D&D ruleset, aka clinical-grade autists.
uhh THAC0 fuckin rules my man

Curratum

Player skill - character skill - RNG. Combination of any two outweighs the third one, but while the first two are under the player control, the third one is not and thus unreliable. If it's all about RNG, then the player is mentally challenged and has no skill himself and can't build a proper character.
Rng makes the game balance all over the place. While savescum can eliminate the problem, imagine playing in iron man and your char dies because consecutive bad rolls . It's just retadred

The people who like this sort of swingy system are the same people who still think AD&D 2E is the best version of the D&D ruleset, aka clinical-grade autists.
You already know the whole game from failing to play the first 5 minutes? Dude.

I know the whole game from playing it 20 years ago. If your reading skills were better, you would have figured this out from my first post.

Sadly, I'm no longer in high school and don't have unlimited time to do dumb shit and savescum and waste my time with games. But I guess you can count on codexers to be fat, unemployed muppets without a family or children, who somehow never grew out of the time-wasting gameplay loop of retro RPGs and still enjoy it today.

What's funny is, you can see some newer dumbfucks like BarbequeMasta are not even old and can barely put together a cohesive sentence, yet they somehow still pine for an age of gaming they never experienced.

overly excitable young man

How are you able to make such wrong statements after you played the whole game then?

You should know that you only need like 2 level ups to increase your main combat skill and the whole game isnt "swingy" anymore.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Implying Fallout 1&2, and pretty much any other dicerolls-based RPGs aren't skill-based (of certain definition), or that they're mutually exclusive with RNG-based system.

Git fucking gud, scrublord.
rng is detrimental to skill and strategy. The more prevalent rng is the less relevant the other 2 aspects are. They are not mutually exclusive but one erodes the others. You can have a perfect build and perfect execution and still die cause rng, and you can still win with a horrible build if you get enough consecutive rolls, thus encouraging savescumming

overly excitable young man

uhh Thac0 fuckin rules my man

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You can have a perfect build and perfect execution and still die cause rng
Unless you have brains and don't rely on a single attack or a single mean of defense and have a back-up plan, thus negating the possible bad RNG roll. Without the RNG games are just input memorization routine, something which a monkey can do.

If you had to bruteforce savescum and pray to the gods of RNG for a favourable outcome, then either your build is shit, or you suck, or both.

buffalo bill

Arcane
But I guess you can count on codexers to be fat, unemployed muppets without a family or children, who somehow never grew out of the time-wasting gameplay loop of retro RPGs and still enjoy it today.

You forgot about fedoras, neckbeards and moms' basements

Trashos

Arcane
Unless you have brains and don't rely on a single attack or a single mean of defense and have a back-up plan, thus negating the possible bad RNG roll.

True, assuming a game allows for such back-up plans.

Silly Germans

Implying Fallout 1&2, and pretty much any other dicerolls-based RPGs aren't skill-based (of certain definition), or that they're mutually exclusive with RNG-based system.

rng is detrimental to skill and strategy. The more prevalent rng is the less relevant the other 2 aspects are. They are not mutually exclusive but one erodes the others. You can have a perfect build and perfect execution and still die cause rng, and you can still win with a horrible build if you get enough consecutive rolls, thus encouraging savescumming
Those aren't the only things that matter. Randomness adds to diversity and variety, it can cause unexpected events and can help to keep the excitement up. It forces you to react to unexpected outcomes. Having 100 % control is not necessarily more fun. Being pushed out of the comfort zone is good once in a while. That's better than perfectly stale insipid identical outcomes every time in my opinion, even if you have to reload once or twice.

Fallout 2 gives you after a short time more than enough options to sway the probabilities in your favor or to avoid unfavorable encounters. The game system is not particularly good, but the first post was nothing but sorry yammering about bad luck, lacking any actually worthwhile criticism.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

2nd Edition is the best version of DnD, friend. Do not go down a false path.

Corvinus

Arcane
2nd Edition is the best version of DnD, friend. Do not go down a false path.

It is very good, but it cannot compare to the majestic original of 1974. I'd say that the third edition is passable at best, and that anything beyond that is decline. Utter decline when we come to the recent "woke developments".

Saduj

Arcane
Sadly, I'm no longer in high school and don't have unlimited time to do dumb shit and savescum and waste my time with games. But I guess you can count on codexers to be fat, unemployed muppets without a family or children, who somehow never grew out of the time-wasting gameplay loop of retro RPGs and still enjoy it today.

Posts like this are so pathetic. First of all, if you were any kind of accomplished person, you wouldn't feel the need to post "I'm better than you guys!" on the internet. This is one of the saddest things a person can do.

Secondly, we know you have time to waste because you have time to lash out idiotically at people for the important reason that they like a game that you don't like.

This presumption of superiority is a tired act that isn't supported by the rudimentary writing skills evident in your posts. You're not fooling anyone.

Edit: Also you missed six times in a row because Jesus hates you.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If games like Fallout 2 are so great, why did they disappear?
Because retards like the OP are the majority of consumers, as per bell curve IQ distribution.

He's got a point though.

I also quit FO2 at the temple of trials and only replayed it 10 years later, because of the Codex recommendations.

Black Angel

Arcane

Good Lord, just... just stfu, would you, pls?

Now we need to tag not one, but two Codexers, jeez.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I know the question is a joke, but I'll try to answer in a serious manner.

First it's not so easy to make a Fallout clone. Many tried and failed (Metalheart, Goldenland, Omega Syndrome, Krai Mira). There are thousands of parts that have to click in order for such an effort to succeed.

Besides it's easier and cheaper to make Diablo clones (of which few are also successful, but that's a topic for a different conversation). So investment goes in this direction.

Fortunately the experience gained from those failures, Kickstarter money and the ressurgence of oldschool gaming allowed for the subgenre of the "Fallout-like" to reappear. We've got Underrail (quite different but with lots of similarities), Atom, soon Encased will join. And hopefully more in the future.

laclongquan

Arcane

First it's not so easy to make a Fallout clone. Many tried and failed (Metalheart, Goldenland, Omega Syndrome, Krai Mira). There are thousands of parts that have to click in order for such an effort to succeed.

Besides it's easier and cheaper to make Diablo clones (of which few are also successful, but that's a topic for a different conversation). So investment goes in this direction.

Fortunately the experience gained from those failures, Kickstarter money and the ressurgence of oldschool gaming allowed for the subgenre of the "Fallout-like" to reappear. We've got Underrail (quite different but with lots of similarities), Atom, soon Encased will join. And hopefully more in the future.

One important aspect is the "50s outlook of retrofuturism" which make Fallout 1/2 is so characteristic.

Because the audience for that artsy aspect is getting older, and the new crowd doesnt get high from that style. From the popularity of WOW and Skyrim and Witcher, they get high from medieval fantasy. Not SF or retrofuturism.

One important aspect is the "50s outlook of retrofuturism" which make Fallout 1/2 is so characteristic.

Because the audience for that artsy aspect is getting older, and the new crowd doesnt get high from that style. From the popularity of WOW and Skyrim and Witcher, they get high from medieval fantasy. Not SF or retrofuturism.

Retrofuturism is an overestimated factor in Fallout success. The problem with analyzing classics is that many people get too hang up on some details when in reality it's the sum of its parts that makes great game great.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Looks like someone actually replayed the original Fallouts instead of the usual codexer who only claims they are the best out of habit and in order to fit in the circle of retards.

Please give us your top CRPG greek god.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom