Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

flyingjohn

Arcane
So is this the end for CDPR?

i hope this will be at least their end of their reputation.
iu

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I also like how the whining is only about technical stuff. Everything else seems insignificant to mention. I have no idea how you fuck up a cyberpunk story when that setting is the most contemporary and relevant out of all of them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
CP77 has genuine game mechanics problems, but lots of people's complaints are stemming from the fact they want to fit the game into a mold of what they imagine it should be like instead of letting the game inform them on how its systems are intended to be used. Someone has played Deus Ex, someone has played some immersive sim, and suddenly CP77 is bad because it doesn't copy the "right" play style that they are used to. The real problems get overlooked for grog whining. It was the same with the codex reaction to Witcher 3, so this shouldn't be surprising.

There's some truth in this, but the game lets you spec into an agile stealth gunslinger. It has perks and stats specifically advertised to and designed for that playstyle. The fact that the result sucks gameplay wise is still a bummer whether the "game design" is better at other things or not.

Looks like some marketing manager at CDPR thought: let's make billions and not zloty's this time but DOLLARS: we make our version of a GTA V clone and hype it to the max. Release on every console to max out profits. :positive:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I also like how the whining is only about technical stuff. Everything else seems insignificant to mention.
That is because most people cannot get past the technical stuff to actually evaluate the game underneath it. But if you read some pages back, you will se that those who ventured forward have found nothing but decline.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Cyberpunk 2077 was in development for 8 years. Pre-production still counts as development. You're still building assets, creating gameplay in a pre alpha state, developing your game. The game restarted development completely 3 times. But that's still development. The game looks like it was rushed out in 2 years because it was. CDPR spent 6 of an 8 year dev time playing silly buggers. They had 8 FUCKING YEARS to develop the game, were given more leeway than any dev has ever had or ever will again.
So you are saying they spend only 2 years by game development, the previous 6 years were spend by not having a clue about stuff I learned by self-education? Game mechanic, game styles, calculations required to design working systems. Creative writing. Stuff like that?
They can simply use GTA V as inspiration and create GTA V cyberpunk, and everything would be fine. But the problem I seen when I tried to found real info about skills of central European developers was, developers I talked with were saying graphic sells and they were not interested in the rest of the game development field, and from rumors I heard last two years they view it as a 8/5 job. But properly made game is an art, needs to be handled more like a movie, and less like standard office Dilbert like job. A lot of game development companies have quite bad skills, and the result is bad game quality.

Industry matured, and some master and higher degree developers have smaller education than self-educated high school dropouts who were in the industry 20 years ago.

But yea, DRM became more aggressive.
"Depth of Field" really make this game look like shit. Like, every minor light you pass by in a hallway will result in Chromatic Aberation lens flares. It ruins the visuals.
Nobody sane is using depth of field, and I don't know if nondisabled can have lens flares when they are using normal eyes without glasses.

If healthy people can't have lens flares when they are using eyes, lens flares shouldn't be in first person view.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

i hope this will be at least their end of their reputation. i have no idea how they are getting away with this, performance on consoles is so bad it's crazy that it passed microsoft and sony certification.
their whole marketing for this game was pure lies and deception. watch the official "playstation 4 footage" video again and tell me this is how the game performs on ps4. in their "gameplay trailer" they tell you there is more to do in night city than just business, you see V and jackie dancing, drinking and talking to some NPC. turns out all of this was just part of a 1 minute cutscene that happens after you do the lifepath """"mission""""""
Give it a few months and then years, many patches, people getting new consoles and better GPUs. With time people will forget most of the negative things on release and only remember their last replay + expansions. By that time the new CDP game will come around getting hyped again, their reputation as golden as before.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't take you shills seriously anymore... "just walking around is absolutely amazing" come on... is this what passes for 'amazing' for pancake plebs?

nothing I've seen can compare to looking up and watching a strider walk over you in city 17 in half-life: alyx

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
There's some truth in this, but the game lets you spec into an agile stealth gunslinger. It has perks and stats specifically advertised to and designed for that playstyle. The fact that the result sucks gameplay wise is still a bummer whether the "game design" is better at other things or not.

How does it suck? What is a criteria for a valid build--finish the game, be the best possible build, or do all possible content in the game?

Should a build be OP at level 1, 5, 10, 20, etc? How long before it's considered 'online'?

just

Liturgist

i hope this will be at least their end of their reputation. i have no idea how they are getting away with this, performance on consoles is so bad it's crazy that it passed microsoft and sony certification.
their whole marketing for this game was pure lies and deception. watch the official "playstation 4 footage" video again and tell me this is how the game performs on ps4. in their "gameplay trailer" they tell you there is more to do in night city than just business, you see V and jackie dancing, drinking and talking to some NPC. turns out all of this was just part of a 1 minute cutscene that happens after you do the lifepath """"mission""""""
Give it a few months and then years, many patches, people getting new consoles and better GPUs. With time people will forget most of the negative things on release and only remember their last replay + expansions. By that time the new CDP game will come around getting hyped again, their reputation as golden as before.
just release teaser trailer for witcher 4 and in 8 years it will be alright again

Dexter

Arcane
So, in the name of science, here is a comparison between native 1440p with sharpening turned off from Nvidia Control Panel, and upscaled 1080p -> 1440p with Sharpening turned on from Nvidia Control Panel.
I've intentionally chosen a tough scene with some distance. In the majority of the time I'm maintaining 40-45fps in native and 58-60fps in upscaled mode. All graphics settings are maxed out at the respective high or ultra stages.

Native:
sharpening1poksn.jpg

Upscaled + Sharpening:
sharpening297j38.jpg
Do upscaling from 480p, add some more Film Grain and lots more sharpening, I'm sure that'll improve the image!

Dexter

Arcane
I would hazard a guess that between pre-orders and first-day sales, they're at least at 12 million, maybe in the 16-20 million range -- there are some sources we don't get data for, I believe these numbers are not counting the Epic store or Stadia but I'm not sure.
The 12 million (which I indicated was a guess) includes the fact that there are sources we don't have access to, so understanding the total number of pre-orders and first day sales might not be possible for a while. We do know that they've done at least 8 millions units sold, pre-order. This does NOT include pre-orders from some sources (like the Epic games store, which is privately owned and I believe doesn't have to share their numbers on anything) and some retail outlets. My guess is that when everything is tallied up, the total combination of pre-order and first-day sales will exceed 12 million, and could be in the 16-20 range. Or not. It could top out at 10 million. But it is at least 8 million at this point.
I'm pretty sure CDPR has access to their "Epic Games Store" Sales numbers, not sure why you would overestimate it and Stadia of all places like that though. Their guess is that with the total Sales volume they've made via Pre-Orders for the past 2 years on Stores like Steam, GOG and Retail: https://www.windowscentral.com/cyberpunk-2077-now-available-preorder-amazon they've got 8 million units sold. From what I've heard apparently about 60% of that is PC. Given the state the console version is in and the large amount of time they've collected Pre-Orders (I think Cyberpunk 2077 was up for Pre-Order during the past two Summer Sales on Steam and much longer Retail) I'm not sure how you arrive to the conclusion that they could've possibly doubled or even tripled their own number in another day. If your guess of 16-20m would be in a year with all the Updates and additional content coming out, maybe...

KevinV12000

Arcane
As is my usual practice, I did not read any of the hype, previews or reviews--or the game's threads here--prior to playing. After about 5 hours in game, here is my take:

While the graphics are indeed amazing and represent a marked step up from all previous games, this game is at its heart a console game where the player's hand is held and directed towards "content" to consume. And what cluttered content it is. On one city block, one my find NCPD engaged in a firefight with wanted criminals while a few feet away hustlers hawk med supplies, the main quest icon is blinking with urgent frequency on the door which leads to your next contact in the story line, and all the while your phone is ringing from a new fixer offering yet more content. Adding to the attention-deficit disorder atmosphere, you are also receiving a text on the same phone from your sidekick wondering what's keeping you from going through that door to advance the main quest.

And all this comes mere seconds after the last data dump presenting you with the same wave of CONTENT.

Yes, there is a lot to do in Night City. The fact that it makes no fucking sense and appears to be random CONTENT generation apparently is what makes console gamers happy. As will the usual console game multi-window inventory windows and the lame, tried, tired and old mod slots that you fit into the absolute arsenal of weapons you will be handed at random, all of which is designed to make the CONTENT more AWESOME.

Add to this gift for the attention-deficit disorder crowd a combat system that feels clunky, outdated and pales in comparison to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided--the game this one most closely resembles--and you got the makings of a CONTENT blockbuster that has fuck all to do with computer gaming.

Ultimately, it's as forgettable as a microwave burrito, which might be insulting to microwave burritos.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The after-release whining didn't disappoint, as expected. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
It's always the same people crying though. Gets boring.

I've only done a little stealth in the hotel so far, and it's too early to share experience with stealth, except that I liked it. I've found that it's at least possible to distract by shooting at a spot with a silenced gun. However the game doesn't seem to record properly the facing of enemies and when you load a savegame someone who was with his back may be facing your direction.

Do upscaling from 480p, add some more Film Grain and lots more sharpening, I'm sure that'll improve the image
But will it improve your butthurt? :lol: You are like the noonwraith of an anally raped virgin by now. Circling the thread and making screeching sounds.

eilef

Educated
I really want to like this but the actual gameplay feels terrible.

I just do not understand how they went from Witcher 3 to this. Compare W3 prologue to this. You get amazing view with Kaer morhen, amazing view when you ride with Vesemir. You get your first missions, story makes sense and they gradually guide you towards finding Yen.

Now compare this to corpo prologue. Its such a waste of potential. After you get
demoted and lose your job
they show montage about you setting up your "new life", but why the heck was this a montage, not a proper mission. They show you things that happen, but then jump you right in to the whole "save a girl" scenario that we saw in gameplay presentation. Like what the hell. There could have been proper two hours prologue with missions made, based on that montage. You know
going with Jakie, getting to know his mom, get the crew to finish your hit on Abernathy, doing the job, celebrating, ect
All this could gradually insert you in to the world and then transition you to your next missions. Instead you get a MONTAGE, and then boom - a mission.

Like what the hell is this storytelling?

After 5-6 hours in corpo playthrough I am not engaged with the game. I make breaks often, because my eyes hurt (I do not know what is wrong with the game, but my eyes legit getting tired and hurt after playing awhile), because I am disinterested, and frankly not enjoying myself all that much. I hope game gets better, but for now I find it lacking.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sidequests in the game so far remind me more of Mass Effect: Andromeda than they do The Witcher 3. Much like MEA, they generally start by you talking to an NPC or getting a message asking you to go shoot up a place, scan some stuff, or steal something, then report back to the NPC or just get a message saying "good job."

At least in TW3 you'd get to talk to various NPCs, make a choice or two, and there'd be a few cutscenes that'd actually give the sidequest some amount of story. With 2077 most of the non-story missions feel like the typical Ubisoft open-world missions, just *maybe* with a little extra dialogue.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Sidequests in the game so far remind me more of Mass Effect: Andromeda than they do The Witcher 3. Much like MEA, they generally start by you talking to an NPC or getting a message asking you to go shoot up a place, scan some stuff, or steal something, then report back to the NPC or just get a message saying "good job."

At least in TW3 you'd get to talk to various NPCs, make a choice or two, and there'd be a few cutscenes that'd actually give the sidequest some amount of story. With 2077 most of the non-story missions feel like the typical Ubisoft open-world missions, just *maybe* with a little extra dialogue.
They jumped the shark negro its the new bethesda, even gta 3 had driving ai but they couldnt do it for this gaem :hahano:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Stealth seems fine for me, you just need to keep an eye for enemies, while they are on the yellow state, just keep out of sight and take out one by one while they spread out.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
btw even tho I didnt read a single word i am still laughing out loud at all the retards who i am sure that exist who buy an interactive movie simulator(which it was obviously going to be) and are complaining it's not RPG enough
I'm actually playing Horizon Dawn now. It has surprisingly decent story so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom