Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Gerrard

Arcane
There's no way that DLC was lifted out of the game near the end to be sold later.
Yeah and there's no way they would shove in lootboxes and some mobile app and game (which is not free) integration garbage into the next one.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah and there's no way they would shove in lootboxes and some mobile app and game (which is not free) integration garbage into the next one.

You shouldn't want to use cheat items anyway, and the game is balanced fine without them (too easy if anything).

I know the desire is strong to find corporate evil in every corner, but Deus Ex 3 and 4 are some of the better examples of "AAA" games in the last decade and it just feels like nitpicking. The three significant DLCs for these games are good, lengthy content worth the price. The initial releases were good lengthy content worth the price. Your unique weapon thing was bullshit, which you conveniently cut out of your reply. At some point you've just got sand in your vagina. Save that shit for the actual heinous examples like modern Assassin's Creed games being a grindy slog while they sell you XP booster packs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The nu-Deus Ex games are definitely worth a play and they are ridiculously cheap when on sale. I got both with all the DLCs for 10 jewro combined. As to whether HR or MD is "better", I'd say they are both about the same level of quality. MD has even better level design than HR, but a worse story. Don't get me wrong, HR doesn't have the best story in the world, but MD has an even worse one. These aren't games you play for the writing, you won't find the colorful and eccentric characters you will in the original Deus Ex. Jensen isn't the veritable meme machine that JC Denton is, he's quite bland actually, even if I like his characterization in MD more than in HR. I like that he's essentially a caring and brave person (or at least the way I played him seemed like that) while not being overly naive or saccharine (I said that for Varric in the DA thread too, so I clearly have a type) and is trying to expose the corpocracy for the lying, manipulative snakes they are.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm tooo much sjw shit in the second one. Tho i am curious about what they are working on. I remember that square penis got really butthurt about tomb rider and mankind divided poor performance. I doubt that they spend the last 2 years just making shitty TR dlcs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
^ I googled "when is the next Deus Ex game?" after I finished MD and I think the franchise is, unfortunately, put on ice and there's no plan to make another one. Why exactly did this financially fail? I remember people having problems with it when it came out, but I don't remember specifics.

Gerrard

Arcane

You shouldn't want to use cheat items anyway, and the game is balanced fine without them (too easy if anything).

I know the desire is strong to find corporate evil in every corner, but Deus Ex 3 and 4 are some of the better examples of "AAA" games in the last decade and it just feels like nitpicking. The three significant DLCs for these games are good, lengthy content worth the price. The initial releases were good lengthy content worth the price. Your unique weapon thing was bullshit, which you conveniently cut out of your reply. At some point you've just got sand in your vagina. Save that shit for the actual heinous examples like modern Assassin's Creed games being a grindy slog while they sell you XP booster packs.
MD's financial failure was directly caused by Square's corporate fuckery and the aforementioned mobile shit. Do I have to remind you about the bonus content based on number of preorders fiasco (again)?
Compared to this, if you think some suit from SE looking at HR and saying "Can't you guys cut out this bit, that conveniently has the protagonist traveling in a fridge, and then sell it as a separate DLC?" is a conspiracy theory you're incredibly naive and/or retarded.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I bought this. I was playing Cyberpunk, but hit a game breaking bug, so I quit, but I'm horny for cyberstealth, so I got this.

Lol, I did this too! Tried playing CP, but it's too buggy, and I'm repulsed by the looter shooter itemization/game mechanics and the GTA vibe of the gameworld. Not to mention my pc is too potato to play it properly anyway. So just started playing the prison dlc in DXMD (again) and I'm having a blast.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I bought this. I was playing Cyberpunk, but hit a game breaking bug, so I quit, but I'm horny for cyberstealth, so I got this.

Exactly what I was thinking. All this game makes me want to do is reinstall Deus Ex even though Mankind Divided nerfed the conversation fights.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jesus Christ, this "boss fight" in "The Last Harvest" was the most overdesigned shit I have ever seen. So many different ways to do it when all it took was a couple of EMP rounds from the 10mm pistol.
I was going to point out that "modern AAA game is too easy" is pretty par for the course, but then I remembered my disappointment when Walton Simons dropped after a single strike with the Dragon Tooth Sword. So unfortunately it's par for the course for the whole series.

The worst thing in the new games is definitely the awesome button takedowns. The final boss in MD is great, there's tons of gameplay mechanics involved (you can even end it instantly with the killswitch if you have it) and I had to spend countless gas grenades and tranq darts to take him down non-lethally. Then I saw RK47's playthrough and learned that you can instantly defeat him with a stun gun round followed by a takedown.
:hmmm:

You obviously shouldn't be able to defeat him that easily, it's just dumb, and it's dumb to be able to "cutscene" normal enemies to death as well. I'm fine with them when it's from stealth, because then you have to sneak up to them first, but the in-combat takedowns should just go.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Jesus Christ, this "boss fight" in "The Last Harvest" was the most overdesigned shit I have ever seen. So many different ways to do it when all it took was a couple of EMP rounds from the 10mm pistol.
I was going to point out that "modern AAA game is too easy" is pretty par for the course, but then I remembered my disappointment when Walton Simons dropped after a single strike with the Dragon Tooth Sword. So unfortunately it's par for the course for the whole series.

The worst thing in the new games is definitely the awesome button takedowns. The final boss in MD is great, there's tons of gameplay mechanics involved (you can even end it instantly with the killswitch if you have it) and I had to spend countless gas grenades and tranq darts to take him down non-lethally. Then I saw RK47's playthrough and learned that you can instantly defeat him with a stun gun round followed by a takedown.
:hmmm:

You obviously shouldn't be able to defeat him that easily, it's just dumb, and it's dumb to be able to "cutscene" normal enemies to death as well. I'm fine with them when it's from stealth, because then you have to sneak up to them first, but the in-combat takedowns should just go.
Why do you want Walton to have a miles long health bar? You're a freaking super-cyborg too - what makes him so superior?

Why can the 'who-are-they-again?' squad from DX:HR take 50 times more punishment than Jensen? Those 'Bossfights' were the worst part of HR (yes, even those clunky redos in the directors cut).

If you want to have a 'Bossfight' in a DX game at all: the one in the 'Missing Link' isn't bad - make a level out of it.

(Cinematic takedowns are indeed dumb, though).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Boss fights are the worst part in every DX game. They fuck up the pacing, and are only acceptable when you can just killswitch them.

Human Revolution is the much better game all round IMHO. It has the better pacing, story, character design and world design. It is also much more faithful to the original Deus Ex formula. HR is also the longer game, Mankind Divided is very short and can be beaten in under 10 hours.

On level design: Eidos Montreal added a lot of verticality in Mankind Divided, but the levels are very linear. In HR the levels could be rather huge and very fleshed out, often with numerous different paths to reach your goal.
On world design: HR has numerous unique hubs to derp around in and find stuff, MD however only has Prag.

If you want to play it on Steam, then get the original and superior version (not the director's cut, which is based on the Wii U port, for some ridiculous reason). You have to buy it in a key shop though, because it was removed from Steam. The "limited Edition" with all of the DLC only costs a few bucks though.

Gargaune

Magister
There are three hints I managed to find that point to Jensen being a clone - the VersaLife body, Sarif during a video call that says they couldn't identify your augments, and the post-credits sequence where the shrink says she thinks "the new specimen" is stable and whatnot. I'm fairly sure I missed a side quest where you talk to Eliza again and she says something suspicious to that effect too. I don't think this matters, though?
Good point on the augmentations, I hadn't made that connection, but then I wasn't paying much attention to the clone angle when it came up. I did complete the Eliza sidequest, but nothing stuck with me in that regard. Then again, I barely remembered who she was from the prior game beyond liking her haircut.

The dumb AI stands out like a sore thumb against the relative "realness" of the world. Especially in the bank (that was supposed to be super secure yet all the keypads and computers have low security ratings, honk honk) the guards communicate by radio but nobody even notices that most of them stopped reporting.
Fair criticism, but it could be leveled at most games in some capacity. I think what I'd like to see from a future Deus Ex would be a three stage alert system, maybe a bit more like how things worked in Hitman, minus the getups. Basically, you could still have hostiles relax after losing track of you, as if assuming you've moved on from their immediate vicinity, but they wouldn't ever go back to business as usual in that stage. You could make their awareness level impact their sensitivity to stealth and maybe even their patrol routes. That way, you'd also be incorporating ghosting as an actual gameplay style, rather than just an epeen decoration.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
On level design: Eidos Montreal added a lot of verticality in Mankind Divided, but the levels are very linear. In HR the levels could be rather huge and very fleshed out, often with numerous different paths to reach your goal.
On world design: HR has numerous unique hubs to derp around in and find stuff, MD however only has Prag.
Don't lie. HR has exactly two hubs, neither or which is half as good as Prague. There's also no way of accusing MD's levels of being linear without doing the same for HR. Both games have some fairly straightforward levels and some more complex ones, but HR was considerably more obvious with its convenient air ducts and other "stealth paths" through each level. MD has some of that too, but overall the level design feels more natural and closer to Deus Ex, allowing for more creativity and freedom.

Gerrard

Arcane

Butter

Arcane
Patron
HR is also the longer game, Mankind Divided is very short and can be beaten in under 10 hours.

This is objectively false, unless you're speedrunning it's gonna take closer to 25 hours without any DLC.
I beat the game in under 13 hours my first time earlier this year. It's really short.
You literally skipped more than half of the content.
Side content apparently. Whoever thought a Deus Ex game should be about running around Prague doing side quests instead of going on missions got it wrong.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's more to do in Prague than all of HR's hubs put together. It also changes after ever mission, giving you even moar stuff to do. I have no idea how people can say HR or MD's levels are linear, there are a bajillion ways to go through them. If by "linear" you mean you have to go to a specific point on the map, then yes, but that's also true of Deus Ex 1. That's hardly linearity.

Gargaune

Magister
Don't lie. HR has exactly two hubs, neither or which is half as good as Prague. There's also no way of accusing MD's levels of being linear without doing the same for HR. Both games have some fairly straightforward levels and some more complex ones, but HR was considerably more obvious with its convenient air ducts and other "stealth paths" through each level. MD has some of that too, but overall the level design feels more natural and closer to Deus Ex, allowing for more creativity and freedom.
Should probably replay HR one of these days, I just don't recall any details on it anymore, but I definitely was more impressed with Prague than I was with Detroit and Hengsha put together, both in terms of content and DX-style exploration. I generally did feel like MD had more solid level design in the veign of the first DX, and that opinion's holding up even as I'm replaying the original these days.

I beat the game in under 13 hours my first time earlier this year. It's really short.
I mean, I suppose you can, but I think that's highly atypical. I don't have the time logged, but I played the main campaign over May through July, must've spent more than thirty hours on it easily.

I think it's the vents, they cater to a primal instinct - see a hole, crawl up it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If I were to criticize one thing about HR and MD's level design is that if you see a vent, there's a 100% chance it will lead to somewhere worthwhile. That gets a bit artificial and it does tap into some kind of lizard brain hidey hole instinct.

Don't lie. HR has exactly two hubs, neither or which is half as good as Prague.
Well, play the game again. There are two cities, but four hubs (Detroit and Hengsha are visited twice). Five if you also consider Montreal to be a hub. Six if also consider The Hei Zhen Zhu as a hub, but that is really stretching it.

Prag is larger, but also pretty lame in comparison to any hub in Human Revolution.

HR is also the longer game, Mankind Divided is very short and can be beaten in under 10 hours.

This is objectively false, unless you're speedrunning it's gonna take closer to 25 hours without any DLC.
I obviously meant the main game without doing any side content. The emphasis is on "can be beaten".

I personally beat the game on hard in under twenty hours while also doing all the side content (but not all of the achievements). It is indeed very short.

However, I haven't played the DLC, because I was very underwhelmed by the main game. They could stretch play time to 30 hours, perhaps?

dmi9dRe.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom