Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

tritosine2k

Erudite

>100fps with its <10ms frametime is such a non-concern , and will be, because ray tracing won't be used on its own but complement screen space effects, ss reflections etc. (even damned SSAO isn't surpassed ), and screen space is computed in linear time vs. resolution , latter always getting the upper hand vs. frametime, so you will see screen space computed at resolution approaching native ( cyberpunk's SSR is already 1 example) , INSTEAD of frametime going down.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

This video is so full of bullshit that it's mindboggling why such a retard even has viewers.
He's made plenty of good vids before, to be fair. Previously, his main failing was being too damn long-winded.
But then I see you, Ezeekiel
I probably should have added a popcorn emoji or something.

This is already causing some amusing salt-fests on reddit, if nothing else. Let's get to it, ConsoleCodex!

tritosine2k

Erudite
This video is so full of bullshit that it's mindboggling why such a retard even has viewers.
He's made plenty of good vids before, to be fair. Previously, his main failing was being too damn long-winded.

This is already causing some amusing salt-fests on reddit, if nothing else. Let's get to it, ConsoleCodex!

It's "Blinn's law" ,dummy

Blinn's Law, which asserts that rendering time tends to remain constant, even as computers get faster. Animators prefer to improve quality, rendering more complex scenes with more sophisticated algorithms, rather than using less time to do the same work as before

Crackpipe?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

It's "Blinn's law" ,dummy

Blinn's Law, which asserts that rendering time tends to remain constant, even as computers get faster. Animators prefer to improve quality, rendering more complex scenes with more sophisticated algorithms, rather than using less time to do the same work as before

Crackpipe?
Nah, just a bout of poorly expressing myself.

It's a divisive vid for multiple reasons and I thought we might get some interesting discussion (or arguments) out of it, but probably should have added something to that effect to my original post. Didn't mean to imply that I was trying to own the consoleplebs or whatever, but likely came across that way.

The reddit thing is just an aside. Everybody should be able to laugh at reddit.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
>100fps with its <10ms frametime is such a non-concern ,

Such a non-concern and yet Sony bothered with a 120fps mode.

and will be, because ray tracing won't be used on its own but complement screen space effects, ss reflections etc. (even damned SSAO isn't surpassed ), and screen space is computed in linear time vs. resolution , latter always getting the upper hand vs. frametime, so you will see screen space computed at resolution approaching native ( cyberpunk's SSR is already 1 example) , INSTEAD of frametime going down.

Your thoughts here don't really change anything about Sony's push for a 120fps mode, or am I misunderstanding you?

tritosine2k

Erudite
>100fps with its <10ms frametime is such a non-concern ,

Such a non-concern and yet Sony bothered with a 120fps mode.

and will be, because ray tracing won't be used on its own but complement screen space effects, ss reflections etc. (even damned SSAO isn't surpassed ), and screen space is computed in linear time vs. resolution , latter always getting the upper hand vs. frametime, so you will see screen space computed at resolution approaching native ( cyberpunk's SSR is already 1 example) , INSTEAD of frametime going down.

Your thoughts here don't really change anything about Sony's push for a 120fps mode, or am I misunderstanding you?
Push is inconceivable nowdays, you can look at VR for what toll it takes on gfx complexity to sustain >75hz with high pixel count ( latter means high screen space load in ordinary game) , and something has to give. (They won't compromise on their screen space stuff.) Most likely 1440p upscaled to 4k at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps just like now, but finally first nice examples of async compute.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have an RTX card and have tried out ray tracing in 4-5 games now and I would take a higher framerate every time. Even if I could have 60fps with ray tracing, I would take 120fps without it. There are brief moments where ray tracing makes a real difference like Control's floor to ceiling office walls, but it's rare and overall makes for little visual difference when actively playing the game. It's a very good thing that consoles are allowing users to choose between modes like a PC version would.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I have an RTX card and have tried out ray tracing in 4-5 games now and I would take a higher framerate every time. Even if I could have 60fps with ray tracing, I would take 120fps without it. There are brief moments where ray tracing makes a real difference like Control's floor to ceiling office walls, but it's rare and overall makes for little visual difference when actively playing the game. It's a very good thing that consoles are allowing users to choose between modes like a PC version would.

Inconsequential stuff ,and RTX is a screen space fix in practice, with 1 sample per pixel - 1SPP (apparently it can also fix TAA , but that's expensive, and DLSS sells cards https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/120656-nvidia-adds-ray-tracing-tech-temporal-anti-aliasing-taa/ ). Until now screen space itself was less than 1SPP ( turning it up to 0.75 made Fallout4 ENB MUCH nicer), so , if fixed screen space will also run at 1SPP in future = goodbye to short frametime enjoyed by PC at end of console gen.

tritosine2k

Erudite
"What?"
http://c0de517e.blogspot.com/2020/12/hallucinations-re-rendering-of.html

see rendering pipeline of cyberpunk. EVERYTHING there has temporal component , supposed to converge over multiple frames (or irl, simply can't ).
So you think,this kind of trailing/smearing pipeline at 120fps , has anything to do with True 120fps ?

What happens if you defeat temporal component ? You need more of instantaneous samples instead of temporal, that's what.

Gerrard

Arcane
First get proper shadows like games with deferred shading had 10 years ago before you start masturbating over MUH REFLECTIONS you fucking cucks.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Well, the point is, with "temporal" , "converging" (?) stuff you won't get 120 TRUE frames anyhow , but 120 "converging"(?) SUBframes, AND don't even get equivalent of fullHD resolution at an instant .

Kem0sabe

Arcane
We’re excited to announce the first assortment of backward compatible titles that will support FPS Boost – available beginning today – are Far Cry 4, New Super Lucky’s Tale, Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4, and Watch Dogs 2. We chose this initial collection of titles not only because they are popular among fans, but to highlight several different ways that FPS Boost can improve your experience. For example, New Super Lucky’s Tale can now run up to 120 frames per second (fps) and UFC 4 delivers improved framerate performance specifically on Xbox Series S and can now run at 60fps.

This is just the beginning. We will announce and release more titles featuring FPS Boost soon, as well roll out new menu icons and system settings in an upcoming system update. Starting this Spring, you can go into the “Manage Game” section for any title, where you’ll be presented with a new “Compatibility Options” button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost (as well as Auto HDR) on or off. There will also be a new indicator informing you when a game is running with FPS Boost whenever you hit the Xbox Button on your controller. You decide how you want to play your favorite games, whether in its original form or with FPS Boost

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/02/17/making-backward-compatible-games-even-better-with-fps-boost/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dxJFCgkNws

Zeriel

Arcane

I think the idea is eventually you will be able to get that feature with no performance cost, or little performance cost. That was the marketing promise of the 3000 series, vastly improved RTX. I don't have one so can't comment on whether it delivered, but that's the end goal. Now the issue here is whether Nvidia releases parallel cards without RTX cores that provide similar or better non-RTX performance at lower cost--see the 1660 for example. If they continue to do that, then consumers will be able to ask: "Why am I paying for RTX?" but if RTX is just baked in as an assumption and you eventually get the benefit with no performance cost because everything has RTX cores, well, that's okay.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Afaict they say the more RTX features you enable the more the INDIVIDUAL cost is amortized inbetween because the same acceleration structure is used for each.
.Now the issue here is whether Nvidia releases parallel cards without RTX cores that provide similar or better non-RTX performance

They are killing off GTX evidently because "direct storage" will be RTX feature by the looks of it.
Also "direct storage" & co can make realtime ray tracing non starter because precise precomputed ray tracing results can be transferred.
Anyway I'd count on R for Radeon ending up ahead with consumer chip because of that onchip memory stuff seems cool as hell (as in, no wasted heat) and fits this new direct SSD paradigm like a glove.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
There needs to be another graphics card developer to force prices down.

Will it? I mean, do you really think someone like Intel (probably the only one that could even come close to releasing a competing GPU) will decide to undercut AMD and nvidia in a price war? I think they would just price their cards competitively enough and not force things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom