Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] CRPG nomenclature - 'character' or 'toon'?

What do you call the player character in CRPGs?

• Character

• Toon

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vatnik Wumao
Imagine using something GreekoidGR said, to support your argument... :M
I'm not arguing in favor of the term, I'm just amazed that people such as Templaroglu do actually use it for single player CRPG PCs.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I usually refer to the player character as a "character," but if you are playing a real-time multi-player game and communicating with the other players by text, brevity can be very important, so "toon" does make sense in that context.

mondblut

Arcane
"Toon"? What the fuck is this, Saturday morning cartoon shows? I'm playing an RPG, not some kind of cartoon. Who even came up with this? I never heard it before. It's not used in pen and paper

Sweet summer child...

51XdtWju1lL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CabbageHead

Novice
My self-insert fetish character, "my char" for short.
Also, people who use the term "toon" are more likely to self-insert and make their character based on some weird fetish.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So which one does the 'dex prefer and why?

From a storyfag perspective, I dislike the term 'toon' since it overemphasizes the visual (+/- mechanical) aspect(s) of the player character to the detriment of the narrative role which the PC likewise plays in (most) single player CRPGs.

I'm guessing that it first found usage within MMORPG terminology (where it'd make most sense) before being applied to single player CRPG protagonists, but anyhow: character >>> toon.

AFAIK, "toon" is a word that was only used for a while with MMOs.

What would you suggest? It's used for all playable characters, not just the MC.

Character or shortened to "char."

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Guess I got it from LoTRO then? I mostly soloed that so don't remember. Could be I got it from RPGKotex itself.

Caim

Arcane
Toons are alts. Toons can also be used to twink, which is when you minmax your character to use powerful gear at the lowest possible level. Ask a Dark Souls player about that.

Check the names. Greg Costikyan moved on to the Ghostbusters RPG, which laid the groundwork for the d6 system used most famously in Star Wars d6, also known as West End Star Wars or the best Star Wars P&P RPG. And Warren Spector moved on to create Deus Ex. Also the likes of Toon has rarely been seen since its creation.

"character" all the way. i don't even know how "toon" was born, however i've been guilty of using it here and there to be better understood by subhumans.

vazha

Arcane
I would say it goes against ideals of any established religion or civilization. I doubt any self-respecting Moor or Rabbi would embrace such a retarded term.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I usually refer to the player character as a "character," but if you are playing a real-time multi-player game and communicating with the other players by text, brevity can be very important, so "toon" does make sense in that context.
Not when char, PC and bro already exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom