Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It’s really remarkable how diligently you guys miss the point, or are you just agreeing with me?

People who play the appropriate difficulty don’t have the problem, including those who can handle the harder ones. The problem is only for those who are trying to savescum their way through difficulty levels that are a poor match for their current play skill.

That will lead to pain sooner or later. Better to be sooner lest we end up with more Greggzes and Porkys.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It’s really remarkable how diligently you guys miss the point, or are you just agreeing with me?

People who play the appropriate difficulty don’t have the problem, including those who can handle the harder ones. The problem is only for those who are trying to savescum their way through difficulty levels that are a poor match for their current play skill.

That will lead to pain sooner or later. Better to be sooner lest we end up with more Greggzes and Porkys.

Nobody is agreeing with you, except possibly rusty_shackleford. Any game design that has to be defended by "you guys have phones, don't you!?" isn't good design. I get that you think it's some sort of genius e-peen measuring device, but it's simply a side effect of how they've chosen to deliver parts of their plot. The things were annoying in Kingmaker too, but didn't take as long to wait out, (e.g. the frost giant storming through the hallways with the bandits in that prologue) and an option to skip through them would've been welcome there too for the same reason. Or was that also an amazing test for measuring whether or not someone chose the difficulty level that is appropriate for themselves?

Desiderius

Patron
No, I think that “the customer is always right” design philosophy has led to widespread misery and decline. It is closer to the case that the customer is always a retard who doesn’t even know what he wants let alone needs and the task of the designer is to construct experiences that induce us to overcome our own retardation.

Half of you aren’t agreeing with me because you haven’t thought things through yet and the other half are crowd chasers who are happy to remain set in your ways. As I said I’m happy to allow skipping first time through which seems like a reasonable compromise to discourage savescumming while enhancing enjoyment but several of you retards would rather ankle bite than get your heads right.

The more games that reward savescumming the more you’ll suck at them and hate them and you won’t have the foggiest idea why.

jungl

Augur
Funny how lazy owlcat is. Harder difficulty should be elite mobs, more mobs or giving mobs consumables like cure critical wounds and grenades not stat bloat. If jeff "I'm so old" vogel and styggs as one man team can do a better job owlcat has no excuse.

Desiderius

Patron
Funny how lazy owlcat is. Harder difficulty should be elite mobs, more mobs or giving mobs consumables like cure critical wounds and grenades not stat bloat. If jeff "I'm so old" vogel and styggs as one man team can do a better job owlcat has no excuse.

That’s what Wrath has.

Salvo

Arcane

You know that a game can be hard without having obnoxious game design, right? Purposely wasting the player's time is just stupid.
But then again, I think the point got across, you just won't agree due to stubborness / being dead-set in your thoughts. In a way, I can respect that.

EDIT: Going through Kenabres right now, and here you can see a non-obnoxious way to punish player stupidity. Inside a cellar in the marketplace you will find a barricade with a prompt to break through. If you try, you will simply waste time and take damage!

But if you explore your surroundings closely, you'll notice the drained corpses and the fairy tale book that talks about shadow demons, which create illusions to slowly weaken their prey. You cast See Invisibility and alas, the floaty fucker appears. You gank him and the illusion of the barricade disappears, allowing you to grab the treasure.

Players that explore and take time to read the tips are rewarded, while rushers will bang their head against the wall with no results.

Compare all of this to being AFK on your phone for two minutes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
your party also suffers from forced cutscene repositioning.

Well, clearly that is how pro game designers determine whether or not a player sucks and deserves to pass the e-peen gate (you need to be at least this long to pass). If people aren't forced into the same starting condition, there might be use of degenerate tactics like stealth or pre-buffing to bypass thereby negating the true test of manhood. Furthermore, by not pushing you immediately into combat, a player might use such degenerate tactics as quicksave after the cutscenes which would be an affront to the one God.

Efe

Erudite
there are some weird cutscenes where camera pans around but you see nothing or a someoen has a small dialogue bubble and then you just wait some more for cinematic to end wiithout anything happening.
not that many cutscenes otherwise.

Desiderius

Patron
Anklebite away. You’ll notice you’re not convincing anyone. Best way to save face is to go play and get better and add something productive but if you knew how to do that you probably wouldn’t be stuck savescumming in the first place.

Again I wasn’t even aware of this problem because I’ve never had to sit through the cut scene twice, let alone twelve times. Yeah I look at my phone now the one time I need to but I’ve said I’m fine with skipping it and all the other cutscenes once if you want so you clowns have no foot to stand on.

Delterius

Arcane
Clicked wrong dialog option - unskippable gay scene.
:mixedemotions: some people will defend it.
6d93e2e7c5ab273866baac7aa8da47a09d15a6acee516b5c69c0ac978b915246_1.jpg

ifunny

Desiderius

Patron
You use Stealth and prebuffing for every other fight (which is totally unrealistic by the way and the better games are more reactive than that) but you’ll also need to be at least functional when ambushed going forward so it’s good to have a test of that early so you can start over and design a better party without having wasted too much time if you can’t handle it at your preferred difficulty level and are too stubborn to adjust it.

We like a challenging game. If you want faceroll there are already plenty of options on the market.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's not about save scumming, and this whole git gud argument is missing the point. I'd be fine if the aforementioned account flag only got set when the battle/setpiece was completed. And I don't even care about the forced repositioning. I just don't want to have to sit through a pointless cinematic I've already seen on previous playthroughs. Start it, sure, but since I've already seen it and done it, let me hit esc to skip it.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Paladin with Smilo is busted but you don’t get it til level five and that’s what your first companion is already.

Alchemist of some sort is probably best fit with what other classes bring to table. Dirge Bard or Nongood Cleavebooter are also good fits.

New classes/archetypes are risky at this point.
I’m not too interested in using Seelah, so I don’t mind if my PC replaces her.

Can anyone point me to a list of companion classes/specializations?

Desiderius

Patron
What do you guys think, better to do Regill rescue first or Swarm first?

Codex Year of the Donut

Nobody is agreeing with you, except possibly rusty_shackleford. Any game design that has to be defended by "you guys have phones, don't you!?" isn't good design. I get that you think it's some sort of genius e-peen measuring device, but it's simply a side effect of how they've chosen to deliver parts of their plot. The things were annoying in Kingmaker too, but didn't take as long to wait out, (e.g. the frost giant storming through the hallways with the bandits in that prologue) and an option to skip through them would've been welcome there too for the same reason. Or was that also an amazing test for measuring whether or not someone chose the difficulty level that is appropriate for themselves?
lmao git gud

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
you wish
I often post something then look at the forum list and can't remember what I posted.
It's actually rather amusing how the IQ drops like a hammer as soon as you start flinging your feces in an RPG thread. You were actually made to just spam the political subsections.

Did you beat Dark Souls recently, by any chance? Are you gonna post Vaati next?

Codex Year of the Donut
you wish
I often post something then look at the forum list and can't remember what I posted.
It's actually rather amusing how the IQ drops like a hammer as soon as you start flinging your feces in an RPG thread. You were actually made to just spam the political subsections.

Did you beat Dark Souls recently, by any chance? Are you gonna post Vaati next?
dark souls games are trash

Percy

Cipher
What do you guys think, better to do Regill rescue first or Swarm first?

Regill rescue. Gives another option (superficial) for navigating the swarm. Also because he is a bro.

That's obviously if your legion can handle gargoyles.

Percy

Cipher
I don't know if other people feel the same, but I was really happy with the performance in the market square in the beta.

Update, as promised. Marketplace flows marvelously on my machine, not even a trace of stuttering. Big improvement over the alpha.

Yeah market place was good for me too.

They also fixed having to wait ages for people to come to you in Drezen.

I have performance issues when leaving an area, seems related to inventory. Especially on big maps where there's heaps of gear that can be picked up.

Also in Drezen recapture, that room with all the ghouls and dead bodies in a pit caused a bit of stuttering but yeah its running good.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Five whole pages dedicated to discussing a cutscene. Riveting stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom