Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

sser

Arcane
Developer
You could hit fast forward and walk away for five minutes and then come back and see what horribly run astray nonsense you have to fix.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Is there any mod/settings that makes stellaris hard in late game?
No 4X is ever hard in the late game. By the late-game, you've naturally passed all the early-game hurdles that were the hard part and are on the victory stretch. There's simply no way it can really get "harder" when all your opponents already existed from the beginning and you've already overcome or at least survived them for this long. That's why an attempt to add a challenge to the late-game generally involves some kind of off-map invader.

CK sort of fixed this my making realms prone to collapse with each transition of power.

Surprising that Paradox hasn't copied this concept to other games.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
No 4X is ever hard in the late game. By the late-game, you've naturally passed all the early-game hurdles that were the hard part and are on the victory stretch. There's simply no way it can really get "harder" when all your opponents already existed from the beginning and you've already overcome or at least survived them for this long. That's why an attempt to add a challenge to the late-game generally involves some kind of off-map invader.

I tried another game, set the crisis strenght to 2x, high difficulty etc. Nothing happened whole game, all my neighbors were much stronger so i couldn't attack them. Then just as i was clearing out the L-gate cluster this religious fallen empire awakened and started conquering the universe. They were neutron sweeping and invading all over the place and the "galactic community" had nothing to say about it. What pisses me off is that they can use the L-gates to attack me from anywhere, for some reason the FTL inhibitor doesn't work on them. Fuck this game

Norfleet

CK sort of fixed this my making realms prone to collapse with each transition of power.
They did not. What happens is that this becomes a hurdle the player must overcome relatively early on, because transitions of power happen fairly regularly, but the AI never actually learns to overcome this problem, so the player gets more powerful while the AI realms that would oppose the player all implode. CK3 exaggerates this in the extreme, making it so you're expected to overcome the system under the worst possible conditions early on, and then later giving you the tools you needed back then, much much later, after you've now adapted to no longer need them anyway.

This is, honestly, a fairly common design paradigm: Introduce problems early, make the solutions something you acquire with research/advancement. This leaves the player having to solve the problem without the solution, and having done so, everything becomes trivial. It's not quite like this in the real world, where solutions are usually problems of their own.

I tried another game, set the crisis strenght to 2x, high difficulty etc. Nothing happened whole game, all my neighbors were much stronger so i couldn't attack them. Then just as i was clearing out the L-gate cluster this religious fallen empire awakened and started conquering the universe. They were neutron sweeping and invading all over the place and the "galactic community" had nothing to say about it. What pisses me off is that they can use the L-gates to attack me from anywhere, for some reason the FTL inhibitor doesn't work on them. Fuck this game
This is the problem with "difficulty settings" in such games: They don't actually make the endgame harder or more interesting, and instead turn the game into a rush for the endgame because the early game has been completely destroyed by the AI's cheats. The early game becomes unplayable and you're basically just rushing for the endgame so you can overcome the AI's cheats.

The game then becomse ruined forever at all difficulties because the player has now adapted into this playstyle, which makes crunching any easier settings trivial.

chuft

Augur

Not always true of games that are actually good. Like this SMAC game, where I had a gigantic empire, then got the orbital tech that revealed the rest of the map, and I saw what awaited me in the southern hemisphere: the Uber-Yang.

LqWv6zJ.jpg

Norfleet

But were they actually HARD? I mean, sure, they have a lot of clay, but their placement is terrible, their infrastructure nonexistent, and all their cities are basically crap. I've seen this before, too. They have no actual ability to meaningfully threaten you with their primitive junk, which is why you had never encountered them before that point.

chuft

Augur
I never encountered them because I play on gigantic maps and I was dealing with my own area. I never could have beaten this Yang (at least before game end, this was already in 2411 and we hadn't even started to fight) without nukes.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Shortening game length from 300 to 225 makes stellaris a lot more enjoyable. The 75 years you're shaving off are the most burdensome, tedious and micro intensive ones.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Shortening game length from 300 to 225 makes stellaris a lot more enjoyable. The 75 years you're shaving off are the most burdensome, tedious and micro intensive ones.
It could help with the horrible late game performance too.

Riel

Arcane
Why would anyone care about this piece of shit, now that Distant Worlds 2 is confirmed for release this year?

Are they going to revamp economy, because while the fundamentals are interesting it ended being a neo-liberal focused game, low taxation-> economic growth -> become rich. I found it astoundingly boring.

Norfleet

I never encountered them because I play on gigantic maps and I was dealing with my own area. I never could have beaten this Yang (at least before game end, this was already in 2411 and we hadn't even started to fight) without nukes.
Well, of course not: What would you expect to fight them? Beating them to death one by one with stone axes? When you're dealing with a pest problem of that magnitude, you sort of have to nuke it. It's the only way to be sure. Why would you even WANT to conquer that horrid morass of awfully placed shitties and random spam? Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Incidentally, that's another thing the AI is bad at in Civ-likes: building something that makes you think "It sure would be nice to own this myself", as opposed to "ugh, what a disaster area".

The point is they were still easy, having no defense against this, nor any counter-response, despite such defenses existing in the game.

chuft

Augur
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall scient finding a logic problem with the code for the missile defenses when he was making his unofficial patch.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Stellaris angers me. It's a bad game with lots of tedious micro, non-existing internal politics, outright boredom, brain-dead AI and worst of all the horrid engine and optimalization which grind the game to a halt even on high-end machines.

Yet at the same time, it has so many fresh and good ideas like the wonderful ideas such as the randomness, diversity of empire types, the lots of story features such as anomalies or archeology.

This game reeks of wasted potential.

KK1001

Arbiter
Paradox is Wasted Potential: The Company. They've been spinning their wheels for 15 years now. Their streamlining and DLC practices are like 10 years out of touch with the rest of the industry.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Stellaris angers me. It's a bad game with lots of tedious micro, non-existing internal politics, outright boredom, brain-dead AI and worst of all the horrid engine and optimalization which grind the game to a halt even on high-end machines.

Yet at the same time, it has so many fresh and good ideas like the wonderful ideas such as the randomness, diversity of empire types, the lots of story features such as anomalies or archeology.

I said before empires in stellaris are diverse if you count +1% mineral -0.5% energy production different. There is no actual distinction between different empires. By late mid-game everyone is virtually the same, using the same technologies, same ships, same strategies.

I said before empires in stellaris are diverse if you count +1% mineral -0.5% energy production different. There is no actual distinction between different empires. By late mid-game everyone is virtually the same, using the same technologies, same ships, same strategies.
And by the midgame the average worker produces like 200% minerals anyway so the largest difference between the weakest possible mining nation and the most min-maxed mining nation is around 195% vs. 215%. i.e. fucking nothing.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I actually had a shockingly enjoyable stellaris lategame recently. I had half the universe in my federation, and as i was keeping the nanites at bay in the L cluster, this fallen empire awakened and started conquering. Just as i finished with the nanites i realized they conquered or vassalized every empire that wasn't in my federation. At this point i was just completing my gateway network and still didn't have any finished megastructures while they wielded 180k fleets. It ended up in a war of attrition where i had to use all my fleets to defend chokepoints through gateways while buying as much alloy as possible to replace the constant losses. The war ended due to war exhaustion, I lost the L cluster and every federation member except me was reduced to one planet or destroyed. Two wars later the scourge attacked but was wiped out in a matter of months by the fallen empire but i finally managed to get the dyson sphere and matter converter online and built up 4 fleets of 100k strenght each with 1000 alloys per month production. I declared war on them and ambushed their fleets in neutral space, then sent one fleet with a colossus to wipe their top planets while they were busy attacking my borders. Eventually they couldn't replenish their losses anymore and i won the game.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

i miss when all u had to care was putting the pops in their designated squares, stead of the now sector bullshit. Stopped playing after that.

Perkel

Arcane
The problem with stellaris is that it is not actually grand strategy game but just civ clone. It has the same exact issues as civ clone because it is civ clone.

The main feature of grand strategy game is uneven ground. How fucked you are depends only on your choice of nation. In Stellaris everyone starts from same point + some retarded "advanced civilizations" that stopped expanding.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So is this Intel thing part of the Nemesis DLC? Maybe the free part?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom