Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sony shutting down PS3, PS Vita and PSP store

Dexter

Arcane
Sony's president has been vocal about not understanding why people want to play old games: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ay-classic-playstation-games/?sh=2d5fdac63890

He is typical corporate exec that's out of touch with his target market. Microsoft on the other hand is getting better at this "gaming" thing. They understand the value of the consoles are in their unique offering which includes old exclusives.
Pretty sure he's not just basing this on his "gut-feeling" or pulling it out of his ass, there was data showing that the people that actually use this "backwards compatibility" is somewhere between 1-2%: https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1667409/apparently-sony-is-right-about-backward-compatibility
With all the caveats out of the way, they revealed that of the 930,000 Xbox One Xbox Live accounts they monitored, only 1.6% of their time was spent on Xbox 360 games. 54% of Xbox One owners spent their time on Xbox One games, while the rest played non-gaming apps and activities. This would presumably make it seem as if what Sony's chief financial executive, Jim Ryan, said was true about backward compatibility not being very popular.
Xbox-Gauge.001new.jpg

Probably around the number where execs would decide it isn't worth the effort and wouldn't much impact them. Consolefags seem to be a lot more obsessed with the new shiny that's being advertised to them everywhere and is plastered on the Store page than playing any old games even from the generation before. Probably also the reason for the Remasters/Remakes, because those are likely the exception.

https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

lightbane

Arcane
It's a sad day when fucking Microsoft, who allied with the Chink demons, knows more about games and the target audience than Sony. How far has it fallen...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've moved over everything that I can to my PC. This is such a disappointing move, but to say that I am surprised would be a lie.

PPSSPP, RPCS3 and PCSX2 will get a lot of more use. I'm unusre of which PS1 emulator I want to use. If only there was a PS Vita emulator.

ferratilis

Magister
I'm unusre of which PS1 emulator I want to use.

For PS1, the best emulator right now is DuckStation. It's in active development and constatly receives updates.

When it comes to Vita, the best games for it are indies that are already available on PC or weeb games, most of which are again available on PC. Especially games like Persona 4, so you're basically set.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm unusre of which PS1 emulator I want to use.

For PS1, the best emulator right now is DuckStation. It's in active development and constatly receives updates.

When it comes to Vita, the best games for it are indies that are already available on PC or weeb games, most of which are again available on PC. Especially games like Persona 4, so you're basically set.
I have Muramasa Rebirth and the DLC, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines and Tales of hearts R. All PSV exclusive.

Not if your internal battery dies, from what I have read. Or maybe that was just for PS4. Anyway, I have a few PS3 games left to play, and then I will be using emulators for everything pre-PS3.

Vorark

Erudite
Not if your internal battery dies, from what I have read. Or maybe that was just for PS4.

In the PS4 case, if its cmos battery dies the internal clock stops working which means digital and physical games (yes, even discs) will get locked, unless you connect to the PSN mothership. Not a big deal in theory but PS4 will eventually get cut out just like PSP/PS3/Vita are getting now. At least people with hacked consoles have workarounds.

Semiurge

Cipher
Child rape gangs, sex trafficking cartels and international drug syndicates? Meh. we'll deal with that later. Maybe. But hacking a piece of electronics you own? Shit just got serious.

Corporations have become entities. Entities with more rights than individuals. You think that's where it will stop? Eventually they will own people.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I got the email.

You will be able to download your stuff after store closures.
Still moving what I can to PC.

I thought about buying a few games that I am missing, but I have decided against it.

When it comes to pre-PS4 games from Sony, I will sail the high seas.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Still no good way to play MGS2 and 3 without a PlayStation, it seems. Those damn pressure sensitive controls.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Non existent.

Firmware is impossible to hack since years ago

Seriously?
The console has been out for 15 years and no one made ANY kind of homebrew software or hardware hack?

Not even a way to crack it so you can play downloaded PS3 games?

the guy that cracked the previous version had his door kicked in with extreme fucking prejudice by the FBI. In Australia.

proof or gtfo

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Wow
Not even Nintendo is this retarded with their online services

Oh well, all the more reason to pirate their shit...

I've actually pondered about getting a PS3 fat once I move my office room
How the homebrew scene for the PS3?

Non existent.

Firmware is impossible to hack since years ago, and the guy that cracked the previous version had his door kicked in with extreme fucking prejudice by the FBI. In Australia.

Child rape gangs, sex trafficking cartels and international drug syndicates? Meh. we'll deal with that later. Maybe. But hacking a piece of electronics you own? Shit just got serious.
Why are you so full of shit?

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-87-ofw-released-cfw-homebrew-exploits-updates-for-4-87.31957/

Worked for me last week, first attempt.

:|

Last edited:

Xmantis

Novice
I installed the PS3 cfw to play backed up games because my blu-ray drive died (yet again, piece of junk) and I didn't feel like replacing it again, worked like a charm.

I didn't install anything else but from browsing around it seemed like it had a fairly active homebrew scene, there's a RetroArch port so you could turn it into an emulation machine.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I have played hundreds of playstation games in last years, and still playing. Never owed any playstations though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Still no good way to play MGS2 and 3 without a PlayStation, it seems. Those damn pressure sensitive controls.
I played mgs3 on pcsx2 years ago, worked fine

Anyone can play MGS3. But can you grab a soldier and then just let go? Or raise your gun, not fire and lower it again? Or grab a soldier and then as your holding him slit his throat by pressing the grab button down harder? I doubt it. I've never heard of pressure sensitive face buttons working on PC.

Codex Year of the Donut

Anyone can play MGS3. But can you grab a soldier and then just let go? Or raise your gun, not fire and lower it again? Or grab a soldier and then as your holding him slit his throat by pressing the grab button down harder? I doubt it. I've never heard of pressure sensitive face buttons working on PC.
yea
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/LilyPad#Pressure-sensitive_buttons

Ezekiel

Arcane

yea
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/LilyPad#Pressure-sensitive_buttons

Cool. Now to decide if I wanna pay for a used PS3 controller. I know almost no games used the feature and that games with driving (like GTA) switched to the triggers for acceleration in the PS3 generation, but Sony still sucks for dropping it.

distant

Learned
Took a look at the current state of Vita emulation, apparently non-existent, lame. Always wanted to try Dungeon Travelers 2.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Took a look at the current state of Vita emulation, apparently non-existent, lame. Always wanted to try Dungeon Travelers 2.
IIRC the people working on the emulator are shitcord gremlins and post their progress there - so if you want to keep up-to-date on what's going on you will have to plunge into that cesspit.

Ravielsk

Magister
Xbox-Gauge.001new.jpg

https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

I have a massive problem with statements and graphs like these because they are almost neve based on a relevant data set. The Xbox graph is based on a late software addition to an already struggling console that was also made only for a limited number of games, most of which were either ported natively at higher quality(Halo) or had far superior and at that point also cheaper PC ports. Even today majority of backwards compatible titles are multi-platform titles that are both cheaper and run better on PC(that costs roughly the same or less than a console). So all that graph shows is that nobody was exactly jumping up and down to play watered down console version of Oblivion or Fallout midway through the consoles life cycle.
Same goes for Sony as their backwards compatibility on PS4/PS3 boils down to again just a few select titles from the PS2 and PS1, for inflated prices because of the addition of trophies. So again the data set they are referencing is just proving that there is no mass market appeal to backwards compatibility for 10+ year old games, sometimes 3 generations removed from the current one.
Either they prove that the inferior option failed to gain traction or that the super old are not as hip as when they were new.

A relevant data set would be how many people were using their PS3 to play PS2 games or what proportion of PS4 titles are being played on new PS5 consoles. The first one probably does not exist(although I heard rumors that Soyny removed backwards compatibility from the PS3 more because people played more old PS2 titles than new PS3 ones) and the second one will most likely be ignored since the PS5 library is currently a barren wasteland.

The Decline

Arcane

Motionjoy with a dual shock 3 controller. Or fake it with a controller with extra back buttons like XBO Elite controller and set the rear paddles to half axis for the face button.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
To hell with motionjoy. I use Scarlet Crush, and I have not had any issues with it for the past 7 years. My DS3 works like a charm.

Well, time for community to make their own PSN alternative. Not like there isn't actual development of that at the moment.

Sony can go f themselves, seriously. Modders will find the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom