Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I only think I ever had real difficulty with Brayko and the guy who sniped you at the end, forgot his name. For Brayko it was my first time and I don't think I was truly prepared for the guy, although I don't think I've ever fought him since without tainting his cocaine. The sniper guy was a bitch if you don't have max lockpicking and can't make your way into that tower. I seem to recall my ammo supplies were nearly drained at that point too, at least the ones I could actually hit him with.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My problem was that at first the difficulty was right, but then it got so easy that I kind of stopped paying attention and caring what my build was. Then suddenly at the end there were a few moments that were hard again, like that one sniper guy. This is why it's important to keep up consistent difficulty through the mid-game. If the player isn't challenged, they're not going to learn the skills they need or get pushed to build their character in a way where they can beat the end.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I guess I don't have enough experience with console game boss fights. You caught me. :roll:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Those darn consoles. If it weren't for them, shooting someone who can't move more than five feet in any direction would be so much easier.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I replayed this sometime last year, and it holds up pretty well in the era of decline. A remake or sequel by one of the nuDevs at this point would be an unmitigated disaster. Sie is clearly MCA's fetish bait. As for Sis, the extra-lethal pixie GF thing was old even back then. At least she's mute.
Hey, where did my steam achievements go?

Larianshill

Arbiter
The game is no longer in the steam shop, so I think it means that any amount of support, including achivements, is out of the window. Personally, Alpha Protocol is by far my favourite RPG of all time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The best way how to play games is getting them for free.

BTW copyright law was designed to allow copyrighted work to become free after certain time period. Because books are not computers, change in CPU design didn't mattered for reader of a book.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
There's a lot from AP that wouldn't make it into the current year. Unabashedly Alpha (heh) white male lead. Kill an arab (Robert Smith from The Cure approves). Have as many as four separate love interests including the staple food groups 'blonde ditz' and 'sultry redhead'. Have an opportunity to bravely rescue all of said helpless females. Even the 'butch' dom is hot, stacked and as the kids say, pawged, with exposed cleavage and red lingerie, even if a bit broad shouldered (contrast with any 'woman' from TOW . You expose and kill a closeted gay man. You can out Kung Fu a Taiwanese cop. In the finale you beat and either arrest or execute a black man, and then ride away into the sunset with a literal asian waifu.

Fucking based. Four stars. Would Alpha again.

Last edited:

Ardun

The basic premise of the story isn't even unique or particularly interesting, but holy moly did they own up to it by the C&C and characters. Why is this game practically unknown I do not understand.

I think I even saw hard copies displayed back in the day, but didn't know what it is, so I just mindlessly passed by.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How long till this game gets put up on Myabandonware.com?

Mystery to me why it isn't already. 11 year old game, can't legally buy a new copy, would Sega really try to enforce a copyright on an old thing they don't even want to make money on anymore?

Tigranes

Arcane
oh no someone enjoyed a game i did not enjoy my masculinity feels threatened

2010-04-21%2022-41-57-89.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Mystery to me why it isn't already. 11 year old game, can't legally buy a new copy, would Sega really try to enforce a copyright on an old thing they don't even want to make money on anymore?
I'm sure Sega or Obsidian would love to keep selling it, they just don't care for repaying the license for the music. Also, you can buy a new physical copy, its just not available digitally anymore.
What's a mystery to me is why anyone would want to play it.
Because there's not another game set in the present day with such amazing C&C? Its the best there is in several niches.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm sure Sega or Obsidian would love to keep selling it, they just don't care for repaying the license for the music.

If they're unwilling to pay the license or put in the effort to patch the song out, they don't want to make money on it since their desire to not spend more money on it is greater. :M

Also, you can buy a new physical copy, its just not available digitally anymore.

It's an 11 year old bomb, it's been out of print for a long time. You'd have to pay an absurd price to someone who's managed to hold on to a never-opened copy all this time.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
If they're unwilling to pay the license or put in the effort to patch the song out, they don't want to make money on it since their desire to not spend more money on it is greater. :M
Fair enough.
It's an 11 year old bomb, it's been out of print for a long time. You'd have to pay an absurd price to someone who's managed to hold on to a never-opened copy all this time.
Ah, yes, the absurd cost of 30$. How will anyone ever financially recover from spending that?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ah, yes, the absurd cost of 30$. How will anyone ever financially recover from spending that?
afaik the cdkeys can only be activated once, either using their pre-steam DRM or via steam

there are probably not very many unopened PC copies around
Its been a while since I installed it, but I'm pretty sure you can install it without issues, then use the latest official patch, which removes the DRM. Whatever they were using the authenticate it stopped working years before they stopped selling it on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom