Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Bah

Arcane
Because there's not another game set in the present day with such amazing C&C? Its the best there is in several niches.

While I agree it had good C&C a game can't only have one good aspect to be worth playing. The real-time shooter combat and stealth mechanics alone were enough to make me give up on it after 4 or so missions.

Ardun

Because there's not another game set in the present day with such amazing C&C? Its the best there is in several niches.

While I agree it had good C&C a game can't only have one good aspect to be worth playing. The real-time shooter combat and stealth mechanics alone were enough to make me give up on it after 4 or so missions.

The game excels at the story aspect. Would you rather play a game with an average story and gameplay? Most great RPGs have aspects that are utterly retarded.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Mystery to me why it isn't already. 11 year old game, can't legally buy a new copy, would Sega really try to enforce a copyright on an old thing they don't even want to make money on anymore?
They're probably just scared. Latter half of the PS360 era still feels recent, and Sega is a big company.

Sannom

Augur
Its been a while since I installed it, but I'm pretty sure you can install it without issues, then use the latest official patch, which removes the DRM. Whatever they were using the authenticate it stopped working years before they stopped selling it on Steam.
I think I can vouch for this, I'm pretty sure the last time I played it I installed it through a copy of the disc that I had made on a hard drive and I didn't have to find a crack or anything.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Fair enough. Alpha Protocol's combat and stealth were average to me, not good, not bad. I've seen very few RPG/shooter hybrids that don't mess up one of those two genres, so merely being forgettable in one aspect while being amazing in another puts it very high for me.
I think I finished this a couple of times. If I remember correctly a new difficulty unlocks when you play again. In any case, not a particularly difficult game.
You also get a new starting option that gives you more skills at the start and some special dialog options.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think I finished this a couple of times. If I remember correctly a new difficulty unlocks when you play again. In any case, not a particularly difficult game.

Veteran is an easier mode that's unlocked as a reward for playing as rookie which makes it harder by not giving you skill points at the beginning. Playing on Hard is pointless because it just makes everyone spongier and makes minigames nigh-impossible.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any mods that make the broken stuff less shit?

Never played the game.

Lhynn

Arcane

Veteran is an easier mode that's unlocked as a reward for playing as rookie which makes it harder by not giving you skill points at the beginning. Playing on Hard is pointless because it just makes everyone spongier and makes minigames nigh-impossible.
Hard is p. easy. If you have troubles with minigames git gud, or use items to bypass them, or dont do them, the rewards from them are pretty small usually.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hard is p. easy. If you have troubles with minigames git gud, or use items to bypass them, or dont do them, the rewards from them are pretty small usually.

AP's bosses are the most complained-about difficulty spike and making them spongier makes it worse. "Just upgrade chainshot until you can one-shot them" defeats the point of having character building options.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Having better options to tackle obstacles defeats the point of having options at all"
No.

You're misunderstanding me. The bosses are hard enough as it is on normal, hard adds so much tedium on top of that that the only solution that doesn't involve figuratively banging your head against the wall is to spend all your points on the "skip boss" skill. I don't think a game's difficulty should make one particular skill mandatory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't trust a well-known cheater's opinion on game difficulty. In my experience, melee can work, but you have to do the bosses in a certain specific order that you'd have to luck into since there's no way of discerning beforehand that the old man has the highest level of martial arts, the Asian guy has the lowest, and the cocaine-snorting Russian is in-between. Additionally, having to beat the bosses in this specific order defeats the point of being able to choose which hubs to visit first.

In my experience, melee can work, but you have to do the bosses in a certain specific order that you'd have to luck into since there's no way of discerning beforehand that the old man has the highest level of martial arts, the Asian guy has the lowest, and the cocaine-snorting Russian is in-between.

This was my only problem with the game. I believe I overcame it, but it took many attempts. I still enjoyed the game though. I bought this for <$3 USD, so my opinion may be skewed by that. Not the greatest game ever, but enjoyable. Many people gripe about the mini-games, but I thought they worked well. What was dumb was achieving maximum stealth, at which point you walk through the levels entirely invisible, taking down anyone but a boss without any trouble. It delivers the same experience as Mass Effect 2, but with a better plot and genuine C&C.

Tigranes

Arcane
Having played this broken game 10+ times, melee is a very easy way to get through the game, arguably because the amount of jank in the enemy behaviour means you end up running through fatal situations half the time, and because you can get Stealth up so high as to sneak up on almost anything. I can imagine getting exposed to a couple of bosses depending on the run order.

TripJack

Hedonist
playing on hard just makes this already tedious turd even more tedious, you can't even change difficulty without starting the game over either because obsidian is SHIT AT MAKING VIDEOGAMES

Stealth is OP, once you get the invisibility skill you can basically take down every common enemy without any issues, the game only became a bit difficult at the boss who is sniping at the tower just because I couldn't use stealth as an instant win button. To this day this is probably the only RPG that I've completed without killing anyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom