Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Larianshill

Arbiter
After thinking about it for a while, I've remembered a youtube series with riddles. There is a bunch of them that can easily be put to practical use without it seeming forced.
I already settled on these two

I also might end up using this one, but I'm not sure about it.

Gyor

Savant
I'm loving AFR art so far and looking forward to seeing it repurposed into a 5e book.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Tomorrow my campaign should finally restart, after a fucking year of a hiatus. It's shameful and inexcusable how little content (dungeons, monsters, plot) I've made during this break, but at least the game is back.

Bara

Arcane
So apparently forgotten realms is being updated with the drow lore by introducing the new Aeverndrow and Lorendrow to have good drow society to make sure you don't be racist I guess.

Basically lolth "Udadrow" (I mean really UderDark Drow) are the most known and super corrupted perverted evil versions of the drow but there are these are two ancient refugee groups which be super secret and not known but reinforce theres totally always been good drow and they didn't originate from a evil society.

I guess meh so long as I get my lolth drow society still and it has the knock on effect of making Drizzit a unimportant nobody which is nice. "Oh you think your the first drow who rejected Lloth? HAha no."

Larianshill

Arbiter
But there were always good drow. I don't even like Forgotten Realms and go to an effort to avoid anything relating to it, and I know about all those Eilistraee cults.

Bara

Arcane
Right but people weren't happy with the Eilistraee cults because that means even though drow can be good they still all have "evil origins."

The Aeverndrow & Lorendrow now have existed since forever because that way they don't have to deal the "implications" of all drow coming from a evil background.

Archibald

Arcane
Right but people weren't happy with the Eilistraee cults because that means even though drow can be good they still all have "evil origins."

The Aeverndrow & Lorendrow now have existed since forever because that way they don't have to deal the "implications" of all drow coming from a evil background.

I'm probably mixing up some other settings in my mind, but weren't they originally supposed to be regular Elves who went below ages ago and developed their own separate culture?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Can's wait for GUDORKZ tribe. Yeah, they are not very good with names, be patient with them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm probably mixing up some other settings in my mind, but weren't they originally supposed to be regular Elves who went below ages ago and developed their own separate culture?
As introduced by Gary Gygax in adventure module G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King:

Ages past, when the elvenfolk were but new to the face of the earth, their number was tom by discord, and those of better disposition drove from them those of the elves who were selfish and cruel. However, constant warfare between the two divisions of elvenkind continued, with the goodly ones ever victorious, until those of dark nature were forced to withdraw from the lands under the skies and seek safety in the realm of the underworld. Here, in lightless cavems and endless warrens of twisting passages and caves hung with icicles of stone, the Dark Elvenfolk, the Drow, found both refuge and comfort. Over the centuries they grew strong once again and schooled themselves in arcane arts. And if they were strong enough to face and defeat their former brethren in battle, the Drow no longer desired to walk upon the green lands under the sun and stars. They no longer desired a life in the upper world, being content with the gloomy fairyland beneath the earth that they had made their own. Yet they neither forgive nor forget, and above all else they bear enmity for all of their distant kin-elves and faeries-who drove them down and now dwell in the meadows and dells of the bright world. Though they are seldom if ever seen by any human or demi-human, the Drow still persist, and occasionally they enter lower dungeon levels and consort with other creatures in order to work out their schemes and inflict revenge upon those who inhabit the world above.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DMing for money is great. Sadly in my region, paid DM's ask way more to DM to DM older editions. Anyway, two questions about 5E. I an not criticizing 5E, just asking questions.

1 - Is this video right when mentions that enemies grows 10 hp for each point of damage that a blaster gets right??

2 - The 5E version of "domains of dread", on original Domains of Dread(2E), commiting evil deeds could draw attemtion from the Dark Powers, and many necromantic spells are strengthened to the point that are a huge risk for the caster. Those mechanics are present on 5E version of Ravenloft/Domains of Dread?

Part of Table 16 - page 243 of domains of dread, suggesting the checks for malevolent acts

rf6J8F4.png

And spells modified on Domains of Dread

R18cD8p.png

Remember that I an not criticizing 5E, just asking if 5E offers this cool stuff present on previous editions.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What is the problem with paid DM's? There are way more players than DM's and believe on me. Certain Editions are a nightmare to DM. When I had a 3E group, NO ONE WANTED TO DM it. We had a dm queue. Each week, someone DMed.

Bara

Arcane
Welp 5e books leaked early on amazon. Everyone's taking it as legit so here they are for your perusal.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight: A Feywild Adventure
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time. Tune into D&D Live 2021 presented by G4 on July 16 and 17 for details including new characters, monsters, mechanics, and story hooks suitable for players of all ages and experience levels.

Curriculum of Chaos (Strixhaven D&D/MTG Adventure Book)
Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven. Tune into D&D Live 2021 presented by G4 on July 16 and 17 for details including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

More mtg setting books were a given but really the next one they're doing is Strixhaven? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only thing fleshed out about the plane and it's main gimmick that they learn magic through strixhaven college? I don't see how fun that could be at least in the long run.

Larianshill

Arbiter
No, it will be on roll20. I have a lot of assets there, so it's a case of a sunk cost.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What is the problem with paid DM's? There are way more players than DM's and believe on me. Certain Editions are a nightmare to DM. When I had a 3E group, NO ONE WANTED TO DM it. We had a dm queue. Each week, someone DMed.
My problem with paying your DM is that it creates this weird situation where the players can legitimately expect to "receive" a certain amount of fun, After all, they're paying for a service. Establishing long lasting friendships is the best thing about this game, and that's harder to do if everyone isn't on the same level.

Then, obviously, one should make money however he can. Nothing wrong with gaining something from your skills. But it's hard to recreate the real experience of "playing D&D", because you're not a group of friends (or a group of strangers who will become friends). Also, as an Italian, I have to be against anything that resembles even remotely a job.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
have to be against anything that resembles even remotely a job.

Is more like a way to make EXTRA money from a hobby. I wanted to play 2E or a retroclone, took months for me to find a group which would't be spending months and months on lv 1 and after I start to get fun, get disbanded. I entered in a on going campaign after a group member leaved at lv 4, playing 2 sessions per week of about 5 hours per day, we are about half of the campaign. If I could just pay for someone to DM for me and not waste so much time searching a group, I would do it.

Now, for 5E, is so easy to find groups for 5E that I don't see why anyone would pay for a DM. Mainly for low level 5E on Sword Coast. Probably over 90% of D&D campaigns today are it(sword coast low lv 5E). On my old 3E group, nobody wanted to DM, so we had a DM queue and I was the third one to DM. There are so many 2E modules which I would pay to play, Test of Warlords, a campaign where players are Dark Lords in a domain of Dread, post Kalak fall Tyr Dark Sun campaign, anything set in Glantri or Alphatia on Mystara(...)

Talking about 5E, anyone here played 5E on the iconic 2E settings?

Here is guys playing Dark Sun on 5E. Din't watched the stream, but I an really curious about how they handle psionics.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
have to be against anything that resembles even remotely a job.

Is more like a way to make EXTRA money from a hobby. I wanted to play 2E or a retroclone, took months for me to find a group which would't be spending months and months on lv 1 and after I start to get fun, get disbanded. I entered in a on going campaign after a group member leaved at lv 4, playing 2 sessions per week of about 5 hours per day, we are about half of the campaign. If I could just pay for someone to DM for me and not waste so much time searching a group, I would do it.

Now, for 5E, is so easy to find groups for 5E that I don't see why anyone would pay for a DM. Mainly for low level 5E on Sword Coast. Probably over 90% of D&D campaigns today are it(sword coast low lv 5E). On my old 3E group, nobody wanted to DM, so we had a DM queue and I was the third one to DM. There are so many 2E modules which I would pay to play, Test of Warlords, a campaign where players are Dark Lords in a domain of Dread, post Kalak fall Tyr Dark Sun campaign, anything set in Glantri or Alphatia on Mystara(...)

Talking about 5E, anyone here played 5E on the iconic 2E settings?

Here is guys playing Dark Sun on 5E. Din't watched the stream, but I an really curious about how they handle psionics.

It's ok a retroclone DM cost more, supply and demand, plus you are likely to get an odler guy you pay more experienced people? The gaming session will be probalby much ebtter too . You can thank crpgs like pathfidner for 3.5 , sorting of all the bloats , class builds and such you better have a computer, of course hardly anyone is willing to DM that now, same in my group only 2 of us Dming , the other guy dont want to delve into that anymore and just want fast play. Thus 5E or a retroclone works beter for him.
Now each time i DM i am thinking i am losing money seeing all those paid games....

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't take advice from anyone with Rean on his avatar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom