Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I enjoyed my playthrough, siding with the Disfavored. However, couldn't complete it as I was not able to find the purple torchkey. And the reason why I was not able to find it because the Twin Hills location did not get triggered for some reason.

Either I encountered a game-breaking bug or I missed a step somewhere, not sure.
Something very similar happened to me, unfortunately I don't remember which key location didn't unlock. Simple reload prior finishing (geting?...) that quest helped though. What do the internet forums / bug reports say about this one in particular?

Encountered a few reports but nothing that would help me unfortunately.
I vaquely recall also something with not unlocking Spires prior to finishing some quests. Anyway. If you can't find it, try spawning it through console.
https://tyranny.wiki.fextralife.com/Console+Commands
https://tyranny.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=torchkey&go=Go

Yeah, I still have the Sunset Spire that I need to unlock. Maybe that will do the trick. If not, then console commands it is then...

Is the game hard on PotD?
Literally only the prologue until you defeat Eb and get the first spire. It's a snoozefest afterwards.

Kinda disagree. If you're not careful, these elemental beasties at the Wall dungeons can be quite brutal and dangerous throughout the game.
Until you learn to be more defensive with them.

I had to go exactly the opposite. I ran a 4 mage party, so it was mostly about overwhelming offense to defeat those wisps. I mostly layered gravelight spells in cone AoE, then alternated elements depending on whether the wisp was red or blue during the cooldown. Usually I could kill them without much fuss, but I do remember them hitting like a truck.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I'm most fond of Barik's Fear ending, the one where he doesn't walk off to die but instead opposes your rule and raises armies against you

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I finished this game.

Obviously, concept much cooler on paper than the execution. Not just the game, but the writing and story.

Nominally "bronze age" but it's no different from a typical medieval fantasy RPG. Just they have "bronze" armor and weapons, but also widespread iron metallurgy, therefore making it iron age.

I don't see how the he-she "Overlord" is a dark lord, after it conquers a place. Besides their Chorus army which also doesn't make sense because they're supposed to be a horde of scrubs, but individually seem to be as good as the "Disfavored" anyway. It's not any more dark lordish than a typical ancient or medieval ruler was, and life isn't any more hellish outside of the newly conquered places that have magical catastrophes befalling them.

Also it's pretty clear their writing team mostly consisted of danger hair radfems they recruited on twitter and tumblr.

Also with the Disfavored if they were truly elite they would be all male, and the women would just be baby breeders. It makes zero sense to devote equal training to women that will be out of commission for 9 months at a time with pregnancy, who knows who rears the children. So evil, but having gender roles even in a "bronze age" setting is beyond the pale.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't see how the he-she "Overlord" is a dark lord, after it conquers a place. Besides their Chorus army which also doesn't make sense because they're supposed to be a horde of scrubs, but individually seem to be as good as the "Disfavored" anyway. It's not any more dark lordish than a typical ancient or medieval ruler was, and life isn't any more hellish outside of the newly conquered places that have magical catastrophes befalling them.

Kyros is evil compared to the benevolent kings of fantasy fiction, par for the course by historical standards.

Also it's pretty clear their writing team mostly consisted of danger hair radfems they recruited on twitter and tumblr.

The writers were edgy longbearded nerd Matt MacLean, Tim Cain's husband Robert Land, Paul "fishboy" Kirsch and Megan "midwit" Starks. No dangerhairs, though one middle-aged gay man, one soy-infused married straight man, and one paranormal romance/urban fantasy writer led by a guy with an obvious strong-woman fetish (not feminist).

Also with the Disfavored if they were truly elite they would be all male, and the women would just be baby breeders. It makes zero sense to devote equal training to women that will be out of commission for 9 months at a time with pregnancy, who knows who rears the children. So evil, but having gender roles even in a "bronze age" setting is beyond the pale.

They're a big family who fight together.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
They're a big family who fight together.
Yes, they're all breeding together where the children don't know their fathers. Meaning the woman soldiers are getting decommissioned for 9 months at a time, and they're equal numbers with the men and equally dispersed in coed units. Even if they were equally strong and capable and it had no effect on esprit de corps this alone makes it a stupid idea.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, they're all breeding together where the children don't know their fathers. Meaning the woman soldiers are getting decommissioned for 9 months at a time, and they're equal numbers with the men and equally dispersed in coed units. Even if they were equally strong and capable and it had no effect on esprit de corps this alone makes it a stupid idea.

They're one big communal family and not allowed to have individual ties greater than to the entire family itself.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Literally only the prologue until you defeat Eb and get the first spire. It's a snoozefest afterwards.

Went with the rebel path and fuck, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get through the waves of mobs at the spire battle in Act 1. Party is 2h MC/Verse/Lantry/Eb

Lantry with high lore has nice arsenal of spells already, but he's going down fast in every fight - no matter how I position him, someone is always after him - usually javelin throwers that I cannot shrug off, since MC and Verse are busy with melees. Eb has surprisingly low lore (45?), which is similar to my MC and Verse, so she's not adding much to the table.
I have a feeling that for this fight I'd be better off with Barik instead of Verse, even though lots of people on the internet advise against having any tank, and just rely on spectral blur/mirror image.

I'd start the game on hard, and after the bumpy start I'd change it to PotD, but I think it's impossible to tone down difficulty after you start, at least from the PotD.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Went with the rebel path and fuck, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get through the waves of mobs at the spire battle in Act 1. Party is 2h MC/Verse/Lantry/Eb

Lantry with high lore has nice arsenal of spells already, but he's going down fast in every fight - no matter how I position him, someone is always after him - usually javelin throwers that I cannot shrug off, since MC and Verse are busy with melees. Eb has surprisingly low lore (45?), which is similar to my MC and Verse, so she's not adding much to the table.
I have a feeling that for this fight I'd be better off with Barik instead of Verse, even though lots of people on the internet advise against having any tank, and just rely on spectral blur/mirror image.

I'd start the game on hard, and after the bumpy start I'd change it to PotD, but I think it's impossible to tone down difficulty after you start, at least from the PotD.
You should give everyone healing spells and use consumables (including food, food stacks with other food). That usually does the trick. Other than that, try going with Barik instead of someone else, yeah (and give him healing spells). I'm not familiar with the fight you are talking about because I haven't played the rebel path, though.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Everyone has healing spells, and as far as consumables go, I'm chugging everything like there's no tomorrow. Funnily enough, I haven't used literally anything on any of my PotD runs in PoE.

Barik is not an option anymore, since he left after I've chosen rebel path.

Encounter streak I have problem with is the first one, where you fight couple of Disfavored, and just right after that one, Earthshakers are destroying the wall and another, tougher, wave comes in (mage, some minor commander boss, and couple of melees and javelin throwers).

The main problem is with the ranged mobs - since I don't have any taunt ability, they are going straight after Lantry, which at the moment is the major buffer/healer/nuker - once he goes down, it's usually reload, unless there are only single mobs left that MC and Verse can deal with.

Last edited:

purupuru

Learned
So, in Act II Chorus path, do you get locked out of the remaining side questline after you finish the other two first?
I thought so and have already uninstalled the game in an unhealthy fit of rage, but figured I should ask here just to be sure.

Sarathiour

Cipher
So, in Act II Chorus path, do you get locked out of the remaining side questline after you finish the other two first?

Regardless of your path, you're always locked out of one questline in act 2.

I don't know if that was your question.

purupuru

Learned
The other two what?

Edit: Why did the zoom-zoom edge me? It was a genuine question.
The other two side questlines. I did the Stalwart and Lethian's Crossing quests and was locked out of the burning library. Feels bad when the game is this blatantly withholding content for "more replay value."

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The other two what?

The other two side questlines. I did the Stalwart and Lethian's Crossing quests and was locked out of the burning library. Feels bad when the game is this blatantly withholding content for "more replay value."

Biotard detected

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The other two what?

Ah, yes, that is unavoidable, and honestly complete bullshit, yes. You are not the first to react to it and is a common criticism of the game. The way it blatantly locks you out with no good logic is quite jarring.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The way it blatantly locks you out with no good logic is quite jarring.

Your spire is being attacked, and once that attack has been deflected, it's time to start purging enemies. One can assume that whichever faction you would have gone against finally succeeded in their goal in whichever quest line you didn't have time to take.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Your spire is being attacked, and once that attack has been deflected, it's time to start purging enemies. One can assume that whichever faction you would have gone against finally succeeded in their goal in whichever quest line you didn't have time to take.

It make sense, but it happen rather suddenly, i don't really remember if it was hinted that you only got so much time before your ennemies are on the move against you.

purupuru

Learned
Can't get over the crippling sense of defeat after uninstalling the game, so I downloaded it again and finished it. At least it didn't last long after where I picked it up.
If only the combat were less repetitive I might have actually enjoyed the game. The companions are somewhat interesting and not Pallegina. Custom magic is very fun but overshadows everything else: martial classes, talents, companion and artifact skills, etc.
Now onto my second play-through, this time with a guide so I will make sure I get inside that fucking library.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
I noticed they changed logo on Steam.
Are they...planning something?..

Unfortunately, due to the Paradox/Obsidian conflict, I suspect the IP is in some ownership hell, and no one will ever be able to touch it again (see Myth series for another example).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom