Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Or rather you'll drop the game when you reach the old wall on max difficulty.

The combat is not good enough (it's not good at all) for playing the game at max difficulty.

Then again, if you enjoyed playing PoE on max difficulty, you should probably do the same here.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Yo, I'm planning a first run with a 2H build with little-to-none use of magic (already did a bit of a meta research of available companions)

Is the game hard on PotD?

I've finished PoE1 on PotD (and started a couple on unfinished runs) and beside early game I didn't have many problems - should I be ok?

Unlike PoE, the game doesn't allow you to change difficulty to PotD after start, and I'm kinda afraid that it become too easy on hard and I'll dump the playthrough mid-game.
This sounds like the worst possible way to experience Tyranny. There's like 1 interesting combat encounter in the whole game. Your strategy should be to play on journalist difficulty and blast through every fight with a couple nukes so you can get to the storyfag parts.

vibehunter

Learned

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Never heard of this game. How is it?
From the little I've played of it - pretty good. I don't have the DLC in question yet, though, so I'm not sure whether the campaign revolves around that. You do play a commander of the "evil empire's" forces, however, and I suspect there is some crushing of dissidence going on.

Does its job, generally not unfavorable reception on the dex thread. Also it has barbarians.
It not only has barbarians, the main campaign has you playing as them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
From the little I've played of it - pretty good. I don't have the DLC in question yet, though, so I'm not sure whether the campaign revolves around that. You do play a commander of the "evil empire's" forces, however, and I suspect there is some crushing of dissidence going on.

*doubt*

Hum, how do you compare it to all the recent 4X games which seems to look pretty much the same (and play the same maybe?)

I had the feeling FG 2 was just a piece of shit and since Fantasy General is one of my favorite games...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
*doubt*

Hum, how do you compare it to all the recent 4X games which seems to look pretty much the same (and play the same maybe?)

I had the feeling FG 2 was just a piece of shit and since Fantasy General is one of my favorite games...
It's not a 4X game first of all. It's like Fantasy General 1, except it's 2, lol. I haven't played 1, but I have played the semi-remake Fantasy Wars. Units don't get perks when they level up anymore, only damage and health, the perks come from upgrading them or from trainers. The orc faction is replaced by scalies, and there are no elves anymore (but 2 human factions - barbarians and the empire). You can't buy upgraded troops anymore and you need special resources to upgrade most of the units, it doesn't work with just gold anymore. That's the extent of the differences that I've noticed tbh. If you have more specific questions than that, I suggest you go to the FG2 thread here and ask there since I've just begun the main campaign (I only played the prequel campaign).

Codex Year of the Donut
Sections of SWTOR can tickle that fancy.

But then I'd have to play SWTOR.

It ain't bad, TBH. A proper RPG-lite with a MMO tacked on. rusty_shackleford will beck me up with eloquence.
single player swtor would have made a fantastic kotor 3. 8 separate, intertwining (branching) stories that all essentially represent different playthroughs with a different POV. Some of the stories(such as agent and 'gray' sith warrior, some obviously inspired heavily by Avellone's work) are very good.

I'm actually not sure of any other RPG that really attempted something like that tbh. Nier Automata to some degree, I guess?
Shame about the MMO tumor attached to an otherwise good RPG.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's not a 4X game first of all. It's like Fantasy General 1, except it's 2, lol. I haven't played 1, but I have played the semi-remake Fantasy Wars. Units don't get perks when they level up anymore, only damage and health, the perks come from upgrading them or from trainers. The orc faction is replaced by scalies, and there are no elves anymore (but 2 human factions - barbarians and the empire). You can't buy upgraded troops anymore and you need special resources to upgrade most of the units, it doesn't work with just gold anymore. That's the extent of the differences that I've noticed tbh. If you have more specific questions than that, I suggest you go to the FG2 thread here and ask there since I've just begun the main campaign (I only played the prequel campaign).

There is no orcs nor elves in Fantasy General, there's no level up perks either, only special units perks/powers or bonuses given by items or "trainers".

Interesting, it's probably too RAM hungry for my toaster anyway but i'll check it, just in case.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can do this in the Empire Aflame DLC for Fantasy General 2.

Never heard of this game. How is it?

Sections of SWTOR can tickle that fancy.

But then I'd have to play SWTOR.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker (sort of). Technomancer (also sort of).

PF:KM, I can see that. Although I haven't gotten far in the game yet.

Technomancer looks horrible overall.
Technomancer is not much worse than Tyranny or any other games "Nu-Obsidian" made. Also it got really strong 80s dark sci-fi atmosphere. (think Totall Recall,Screamers).

Poseidon00

Arcane
Somehow I missed the fact that you could take over the Voices of Nerat's mind by offering certain companions to him.

Yes, I still play Tyranny.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Technomancer is not much worse than Tyranny
Technomancer is great and underrated. Only criticisms are the backtracking, but at least it's a finished game that doesn't end halfway through.
It also has a satisfying ending, which is rare for an RPG.
Yup Technomancer is pretty good game. Good setting,nice hard combat,good exploration,good writing. All around i really enjoyed it,same as the first game.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Finished it after 27 hours as a Rebel loyalist. Tyranny feels unfinished, but not in the way KOTOR 2 and New Vegas felt. They felt like stuff was cut during production, while Tyranny feels like it was designed unfinished (probably Feargus relocating it's budget).

Combat is tedious, 6 enemies through the entire game (swordsman, spearman, mage, archer/ thrower, beastmen, Old Wall ghosts), only at the end you get some variety when fighting Archonts.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could avoid combat. But you can't.
Game punishes you all the time for trying to sneak around enemies. You're forced into dialogue which puts you out of stealth, your companions are teleported into enemies you've stealthed around and you end up having to fight several groups at the same time. I've used stealth successfully 4 times to avoid single groups of enemies.
Dialogue checks also don't do much. You either get Subterfuge/ Lore check to scare 1 enemy off or Athletics check to kill 1 enemy. And partway through Chapter 2 even those checks stopped appearing.

There's no side content. I've had 10 side quests, 6 of them were simple fetch/ kill quests. Maybe half an hour out of my playtime was spent on side quests.

Exploration is shit. Every map (even an open meadow) is a tunnel with unavoidable enemy checkpoints along the way and some minor loot locked behind Subterfuge/ Athletics check.
Some genius decided that it would be fun if you had to collect several different keys in Old Walls and then had to check every key in every lock and if you guess wrong (or right in some cases) additional enemies spawn.

To end on positive note- art department did a fantastic job. Maps, loading screens, conquest and ending slides were pretty. I liked the companions, though I wish they were all as interesting as Lantry and Barik. I liked the concept behind the world, but I feel like it wasn't fleshed out.

TL;DR: I've had more fun with Dragon Age: Origins. Tyranny combat and exploration felt like Deep Roads for the entire game.
Either some people play with five filters over their eyes, or I've played a different game. Tyranny is hardly 1/5 of that. 1/7 if you let that blindfold finally go to trash can where it belongs, dude.
Cool, memorable characters. Writing is pretty ok or good. Story is a legendary tale of sad and grim events of epic proportions. Idk if it's branching or not, and who should? Maybe stop comparing every game to ME and let them have their own approach. The art is awsome here, and it's breathing the age of bronze into our puny, modern man existences behind the monitor so much it makes our souls squirm in fear of the heaviness of fate. Exploration is pretty fine for any Post-Infinity game. Combat can be overly complex if one lets it, more then ever maxing only a few options is the payout here. Frustration comes in often, true, but that may be because we are not worthy of the iron we have been entrusted with, bah, lowlies... It is pretty ok so far as any BGesque goes. As for sneaking breaking, it takes balls of a strange kind to have this three times throughout the game and call it The Game. Quests are nothing like it, though of course, by all means, call gathering of artifacts to investigate them a fetch quest. Well, I call your car a bike then, because it also moves.

Some people and their coping mechanisms :imperialscum:

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So Baldur's Gate but everyone you meet is your prison bitch
Tyranny has balls in that regard. I've found the non-compromising character writing revelating. For example Verse - something of a chaotic barbarian girl who's been misused and tortured in young age, fighting her way through all that to a respectable warrior position - talking about the cliché topic of "a bad girl goes good in the end by winning her inner strugless". I don't remember exactly what she said, but it was something along the lines of her experiences and abilities making her who she is now. And that she'd rather die then loose these and her lust for killing and gore just to satisfy somebody's idea of the peace of mind.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I enjoyed my playthrough, siding with the Disfavored. However, couldn't complete it as I was not able to find the purple torchkey. And the reason why I was not able to find it because the Twin Hills location did not get triggered for some reason.

Either I encountered a game-breaking bug or I missed a step somewhere, not sure.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I enjoyed my playthrough, siding with the Disfavored. However, couldn't complete it as I was not able to find the purple torchkey. And the reason why I was not able to find it because the Twin Hills location did not get triggered for some reason.

Either I encountered a game-breaking bug or I missed a step somewhere, not sure.
Something very similar happened to me, unfortunately I don't remember which key location didn't unlock. Simple reload prior finishing (geting?...) that quest helped though. What do the internet forums / bug reports say about this one in particular?

Last edited:

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Something very similar happened to me, unfortunately I don't remember which key location didn't unlock. Simple reload prior finishing (geting?...) that quest helped though. What do the internet forums / bug reports say about this one in particular?

Encountered a few reports but nothing that would help me unfortunately.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Encountered a few reports but nothing that would help me unfortunately.
I vaquely recall also something with not unlocking Spires prior to finishing some quests. Anyway. If you can't find it, try spawning it through console.
https://tyranny.wiki.fextralife.com/Console+Commands
https://tyranny.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=torchkey&go=Go

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom