Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
sample_0a5aeab6ba51925f9e451b9feaff9e13.png

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I want to take a moment to level with you guys: yes, I'm well aware of medieval bathing and body hair standards, especially in a wilderness encampment. Nevertheless, I would lick, kiss, and even suckle Shadowheart's anus. She wouldn't even have to ask, I would just start doing it anytime I was in the neighborhood.

Now he’s listing the shitty chain/unchain system as something he doesn’t like in this wishy-washy feedback video.

It's an unhappy compromise for the sake of controller use.
Claim already dismissed.
Aside for the fact that other systems STILL work better on consoles without butchering mouse and keyboard UI, the game currently doesn't even have controller support yet. Nor a confirmed console version (but we all know it's coming at some point).

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
I doubt that BG 3 will have the original's charm. How do you top a villain like Jon Irenicus voiced by the great David Warner?
The 2 Divinity games were kind of boring and BG3(divinity clone) will be the same.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
BG2 was huge decline failed to capture its predecessor’s charm to start with. Other than that I agree, BG3 will fail to capture any of those. It is able to produce its own though.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
BG2 was huge decline failed to capture its predecessor’s charm to start with. Other than that I agree, BG3 will fail to capture any of those. It is able to produce its own though.
BG 2 had one of the best villain in gaming history. The banter between party members was great. Edwin, Irenicus and Sarevok(companion) deserve a 10/10 rating. A sequel is rarely better than the original but i like BG 2 and Fallout 2 more.

The games Larian makes are just boring. I'm not saying they are bad games but the lack a certain "something". I could never finish DO 1and2 because i got bored of them quite fast.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
BG 2 had one of the best villain in gaming history.
6yAwKha.jpg

The best thing about Irenicus is his memorable voice acting, but apart from that, he is a very milquetoast villain. A powerful elven mage punished for his thirst for power, yawn. The only unique thing about him is his sex dungeon.

He gets his job done because, at least, he gives you a reason to go after him from the very beginning of the game (and some more recent examples showed us we can't take that for granted), but I don't understand what could possibly make him "one of the best villains in gaming history".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The best thing about Irenicus is his memorable voice acting.

What great acting though. Probably the best performance of Warren's career.

Also, while I agree with you that Irenicus is a basic bitch in terms of type, at least he is a basic bitch with flawless execution. Thus I was thouroughly engaged with his story. I'll take that over PoE's lofty ambition but terrible execution any day.

That's Baldur's Gate in a nutshell, innit. Everything is basic fantasy shit it's just done incredibly well.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's why White Marsh and Siege of Crägholdt are my favourite parts of both PoEs as well. Pretty basic fantasy stuff with a couple of original takes. It's just done really well

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
BG 2 had one of the best villain in gaming history.

The best thing about Irenicus is his memorable voice acting, but apart from that, he is a very milquetoast villain. A powerful elven mage punished for his thirst for power, yawn. The only unique thing about him is his sex dungeon.

He gets his job done because, at least, he gives you a reason to go after him from the very beginning of the game (and some more recent examples showed us we can't take that for granted), but I don't understand what could possibly make him "one of the best villains in gaming history".

I won't argue that Irenicus is the bestest!! villain ever.
But I disagree that he's "passable at best".

He has simple goals and his motivation is clear.
Which is already better than dime-a-dozen obscure ancient evils, bloodwar demons, repears and tyranical overlords.

He is shown not just as immensely powerful wizard, but as a schemer who calculates multiple steps in advance and places agents in key positons.
Perhaps his lust for power was the reason of his exile, but it is not what drives him in the game.
Even though he is dying, he does not stoop down to soulless solution Bodhi had chosen.
And then there's the revenge part. And bits of tragic love.
He is pretty multifaceted character, not a cardboard mannequin for the protagonist (and the player) to hate.

So unless you can list droves of better villains, Jon is certainly in top 5 in my book.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What is that obsession with some dead gay elf who will die second time the moment i will meet him in the game? Seriously - elf gay vampire. Talk about redundant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom