Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware What are your favorite non-combat, non-dialogue related activities in RPGs?

Codex Year of the Donut
Things like Arcomage, Gwent, Tragic the Garnering™, crafting, NWN2's castle management, Deadstate base management and a bunch of other things I can't think of or be bothered to list.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Making camp.

In those few games that actually have non retarded camping
RoA HD

Dungeons of Aledorn is going to feature some neat resting mechanics, but even some small thing like the Alchemist in Wiz8 making potions during resting is a nice twist

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gwent is actually pretty cool. A quick paced, unique, fantasy card game that is not just your usual Magic the Gathering drop the enemies life points to 0. Shame they dropped the ball on the online version eventually.

Lios

Cipher
Dice poker in Witcher.
Arcomage is awesome.
Looting the fuck out of every store in Arcanum with a thief main character.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Mapping in Wizardry, puzzles in Dark Heart of Uukrul, base-building/research in Titan Outpost, trash collection in Underrail.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classic dungeon puzzles with switches, pressure plates, etc. Especially if there's hints instead of blind trial and error. Also adventure game like item combination puzzles are fine. Finding your way through a room of traps. Etc.
The Might and Magic series is good at putting this kind of stuff into dungeons. Especially making traps that require creative use of magic to get past: the old tile based titles had jump and teleport spells for a reason!

Playing cards or dice in a tavern is nice if the minigame is implemented well. Witcher is consistently good at that (Gwent, but also dice poker in the first game), and Arcomage is a fun game to play on its own even outside of M&M 7 (if you wanna play some Arcomage against other players, create a free account here: https://arcomage.net/ I'm a regular player, have been on there for years).

Base management if it's engaging and/or impactful. BG2 had cool bases because which one you got depended on your character class, so the wizard would get a cool planar sphere and the fighter gets to rule a castle as its lord. Instead of annoying micromanagement you'd return there every couple of weeks, collect your taxes, and make a decision in an event (usually just a dialogue choice along the lines of "One of your apprentices fucked up, what do?" or "There's bandits in your fief, what do?"). Keep it lightweight, don't make it a chore. Make me feel like I'm the lord of some place, not the janitor.

Dicking around in town, doing stupid shit. Ultima VII is the prime example of that. Toss shit-filled baby diapers on Lord British to make him run away. Rob the bank despite being the avatar of virtue. Mess with the guards by putting out streetlights at night. Seriously, modern games can't hold a candle to Ultima VII's interactivity. You can do so much stupid shit in that game, it's glorious.

Now here's some non-combat stuff in RPGs that I absolutely do not like:

Crafting. It's just a boring grind of collecting 2304 pieces of copper ore and 3413 pieces of tin ore so you can smelt them into bronze ingots so you can forge a generic bronze sword +5. Just have a boss enemy in a dungeon drop a magic bronze sword, that feels a lot more rewarding and cuts out a lot of grind. Extra negative points if your game features an unskippable mining animation when mining ore (looking at you, Skyrim). Crafting is a boring grind of generic resource farming which doesn't fit into the RPG gameplay loop at all. It makes exploration and combat less rewarding because instead of getting that juicy +5 sword as a drop from an enemy, or finding it tucked away in a dark corner only reachable with levitation, you find generic [insert metal type] ore clumps all over the place and collect enough of them until you can forge the sword yourself. Meh.

Ulysa

Scholar
Just exploring outside while I listen the same loop of bird and wind sounds over and over again.
It's relaxing ok?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Decoding Letters.
zeGVSGO.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom