Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise: Ascension - is anyone else here playing it?

tindrli

Arcane
Me too

tindrli

Arcane
I would like try a single-guild party.
What is the recommended and the best party composition?
(For example: thief, explorer, sorcerer, cleric)
Game can be exremely hard without multiclassing, even more than Wiz7 with single-class party.

On a side note, Ascension is almost the same level of scam as Beammutt's EEs - guy added some small fixes (though the original did not have any game breaking bugs afaik) and artificially expanded levels by adding copy-paste areas (as if the original dungeones weren't large enough), and charges like 30 bucks for that.

Revelation on the other hand has also dozens of bug fixes and it's entirely free.
This forum is great! I have this single guild idea, and I can read back it is the same bad idea again as one year before! I totally forgot it :)
It is the only forum

Martyr

Arcane
there's also a room on the first floor of the dungeon with a window, showing a purple-ish sky, you can hear the sound of wind howling and there's a description that reads something like "you see far away lands in dim sunlight, unable to tell if the sun is setting or rising".

I just found that room again, the exact location is at 45,6,1 (far east) on the first floor of the dungeon. I noticed that the text said something like "the window clasp looks loose, but it would be foolish to climb out" - I did climb out but it seems that you actually can't get back in. there's just a small ledge and the only way to go is down.
if you do go down, you die. well, at least my character died. but there seems to be a landscape, also with enemies, instead of just a blank space. I would love to know if it's possible to survive that fall and explore the area...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Isn't this one of the locations where you can reach expansion content if you're experienced enough? Sorry, I only have vague memories of this game...

Martyr

Arcane
Isn't this one of the locations where you can reach expansion content if you're experienced enough? Sorry, I only have vague memories of this game...
that'd be my guess - the question is, which character level is required to survive the fall? probably only one way to find out ...

Zeriel

Arcane
there's also a room on the first floor of the dungeon with a window, showing a purple-ish sky, you can hear the sound of wind howling and there's a description that reads something like "you see far away lands in dim sunlight, unable to tell if the sun is setting or rising".

I just found that room again, the exact location is at 45,6,1 (far east) on the first floor of the dungeon. I noticed that the text said something like "the window clasp looks loose, but it would be foolish to climb out" - I did climb out but it seems that you actually can't get back in. there's just a small ledge and the only way to go is down.
if you do go down, you die. well, at least my character died. but there seems to be a landscape, also with enemies, instead of just a blank space. I would love to know if it's possible to survive that fall and explore the area...

Yeah that's absolutely added in the player mods, it was never like that in the original release. The window was there, but it was only flavor text.

Also I forget exactly the details because it's been ages since I played, but there are spells for flying. That's probably how you're supposed to do it. It lets you control your descent as if you're just walking.

Edit: Levitate will just drop you down and prevent damage, Magical Flight will let you control it and go anywhere along the way

Martyr

Arcane
Yeah that's absolutely added in the player mods, it was never like that in the original release. The window was there, but it was only flavor text.

Also I forget exactly the details because it's been ages since I played, but there are spells for flying. That's probably how you're supposed to do it. It lets you control your descent as if you're just walking.

so that's part of "Demise: Ascension" rather than "Rise of the Ku'tan"?
flying spell .... alright, thanks!

covr

Prophet
Patron
Fun fact - second expansion for Demise is scheduled for September 30th 2021. Apparently there were already over 80 beta releases of the expansion, it adds tons of extra rooms/items/monsters (god why?) but also some handy stuff like new monster generation (no idea what's that) and tons of extra conversations with monsters.

When I read progress reports from its current developer, I can sense some strong Cleveland M. Blakemore vibes...
EDIT: you can check the topic here https://www.decklinsdomain.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6802

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's actually up with Demise dev wise these days? Didn't the original dev of Mordor and Demise sell the rights or something?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yep, it was David Allen, he sold the rights eons ago. Decklin is the current owner, publisher and developer of the Demise and all its expansions/sequels. If I am not wrong, he worked with Allen in the '90. He was the tester, moderator and did some other stuff on Demise and Mordor. He had some access to source codes, so it was easier to start resurrecting the project.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I forgot what to forget!

So this experience thing.
For example I have one character and I kill a slave then I get 40 XP.
If I have 4 characters in my party then killing this slave everyone will get the same sum 40 XP?
Or is there some penalty because I have more characters in the battle? So I get for example sum 32 XP only? Which is of course is divided to 4 part.
Seems I have read this somewhere, but I am not sure..
I want to know I should running everyone in solo for quick level up for a while.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I don't know exact formula but leveling one man party is much much faster than 3-4 man party.

Zeriel

Arcane
The benefit of party is stacked power. You can heal, ressurrect, buff, spread around damage, etc. Makes it exponentially easier to go deeper or do way more levels at once without having to go back.

It can be pretty slow grinding though.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
It can be pretty slow grinding though.
But the grinding is the same if 4 x 1 warrior or 1 x 4 warrior party.
I did some test.
1 warrior vs 2 rock snake = warrior got 120 xp
1 warrior+1 thief vs 2 rock snake = warrior got 60 xp, thief got 60 xp
approximately! I do not know XP of monster is variable like its HP.
It seems I can use a full party.

Zeriel

Arcane
Same XP divided by a full party is less per character. That's all I meant.

Dorateen

Arcane
I thought I remember XP being kill based. So in a 4 man party, if your frontline fighters are getting most o the kills (and experience) you might switch a back character to the first position in order to catch up.

To clarify, XP and gold are character based. The XP needed to pin in the screenshot below refers to the selected character only. Just as each character has their own bank of items in town, and each character can have their own monster companions. When you run a party, you are really playing multi-player with individual characters.

rY25BCy.png

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Is there any way to discover a teleport behind a door?
Or you have to step into it? (and teleported into water, drowned/killed etc)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did anyone here have the town glitching error where things look messed up. I'll take a screenshot when i get a chance. Maybe I need to update if at all possible. I wonder when the next expansion will occur.

Belthazor

Educated
Is there any way to discover a teleport behind a door?
Or you have to step into it? (and teleported into water, drowned/killed etc)
For unexplored territory there's no way to discover a teleporter behind a door.
Otherwise look at your maps in game or online at https://www.cityofmarlith.com/ascension/maps.
You could use the spell Map Area to search for a teleporter behind doors.
But you can't cast the spell while being lost or in an anti-magic area.
Items that can cast Map Area are the Rod of Mapping and the Ring of Revelation.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Is there any information/table about the experience of a monster?
So when I kill a Skurg then I get ??? xp.

jungl

Augur
So I got around to trying this. Lol it feels late 90s early 20s era influenced alright. The grind and having to constantly leave the dungeon to level up is something I imagine I would appreciate at the time as being immersive and fun like you are really trekking and mapping this humongous dungeon out. The simplistic combat. It all reminds me of mmorpgs back then https://youtu.be/1nD0Ld6kYQ8

It all feels dated now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom