Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

just

Liturgist
recruiting fox in wotr: 25k words and puzzles
recruiting fox in encased: beat her in combat. wanna join? yeah.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is the rate of random trash fights in settlements tied to time or level? After the prologue and a while after I didnt even know this could happen now it happens almost always, and its fucking annoying
At minimum in Picnic you can avoid it by using second exit (not one near your house).
But yea keep visits in cities to minimum to avoid this junk.

Cromwell

Arcane
So I wanted to go to the junkyard > random fight. I reloaded and slept > random fight. I tried reloading a few times > random fight. I went to magellan station > random fight. Well fuck you guys, that killed my will to play. The whole game is littered with ways to avoid combat to a good extent which I liked very much, you can use stealth, you have your air vents and so on, you can talk your way around, whoever got the great Idea to enhance this experience with random fuckign trashfights ins ettlements deserves to be shipped to siberia. I cant even loot the npcs which will die in such fights because all the other npcs scold me for it.

jackofshadows

Magister
Why it is downhill?
Ask the devs, not me. Don't wanna waste more words since no one beleives me and apparently think I'm shitting on the game for no reason. You could blame publisher too but something tells me if not for Kosh Media, they would never have release this at all.
Um you just check the resistances beforehand and equip accordingly, one glove for damage and the other for potential utility
But that also means you need to have 4 gloves and keep them up to date. That is quite tedius I think.
That applies to any offensive skill. And yeah, that's tedious. Fortunately, after a certain level vendors are starting to sell highest tier weapons right away which begs the question why even bother with upgrades, skill investment and collecting junk aside from saving some money of course. By the way, they really should've come up with a different kind of crate for hand-placed loot. Or something.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Um you just check the resistances beforehand and equip accordingly, one glove for damage and the other for potential utility

But that also means you need to have 4 gloves and keep them up to date. That is quite tedius I think.

Depends on your team. You can make do with two gloves just realize that some fights will take longer because of damage reduction.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So I wanted to go to the junkyard > random fight. I reloaded and slept > random fight. I tried reloading a few times > random fight. I went to magellan station > random fight. Well fuck you guys, that killed my will to play. The whole game is littered with ways to avoid combat to a good extent which I liked very much, you can use stealth, you have your air vents and so on, you can talk your way around, whoever got the great Idea to enhance this experience with random fuckign trashfights ins ettlements deserves to be shipped to siberia. I cant even loot the npcs which will die in such fights because all the other npcs scold me for it.
What are your stats? I have a character with high perception and so far managed to avoid all the random fights.

Another thing: You lose the servoshell at the end of the prologue. Where can I get a new one?

Sykar

Arcane
What are your stats? I have a character with high perception and so far managed to avoid all the random fights.

Another thing: You lose the servoshell at the end of the prologue. Where can I get a new one?

Magellan.

Cromwell

Arcane

perception 6 I think. I also mean the fights in the settlements themselves not on the map. As Sykar said, in Magellan, help the Black wing guys in the warehouse and after that go to the military wing and help one of the two there.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
As nice as the vioce acting is overall, it is clear that it retarded the progress in adding content to later areas which are much less developed compared to Magellan. If they would have given me the choice I would have still preferred more content but then again it was not me but Koch Media, I believe, which was calling the shots.
I hope they are able to flesh out the latter parts after they are done ironing out the bugs and improve upon systems like stealth a little more. Game has great atmosphere, some nice C&C and combat is a step up from ATOM, though worse than Underrail, but the polish is seriously lacking.

I didnt expect it to better than Underrail. Comparing to Underrail is unfair.

Can you give examples of downhill? Just your opinion.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I finished it, regardless of strange c&c, empty ending areas and so forth.

Game is a wasted potential. Developers tried to dip into everything at same time - charbuilding, c&c, companions, politics, Ru&Classic sci-fi and fallout, survival mechanics, VERY BIG AREAZ, NARRATED VOIS ACTING LIKE DOS2!!, simulationism (caravans changing, enemies harassing settlements) and ended up with unfinished thing that barely gets some of the things right. The problem as I see it no even unfinished last chapter, but driving all the ideas around without picking a good place to stop.

The combat, xp, hp balance is some horrible mess, but there are enough skill checks and choices/quests to close your eyes on that.

The biggest issue is that devs seemed to drop their best thing somewhere half way through - that sci-fi thing, Strugatsky, having a picnic with a granpa and stalker and christian driver, talking about things; and the mystery of the Storm.
The politics, the falloutisms, the raiders, the fetch quests - this is all unnecessary baggage that digged a hole for eclectic, unique, to fall into and be forgotten.

Game could have been saved if whole Chapter 3 got integrated into Ch1&2, pointless content cut, artifacts not being just some extra stuff with +stats, etc. Not every sci fi game HAS to have power armor. And there is no reason for SO MANY forgotten bunkers with loot. I felt more unique sci fi in tutorial than in second half of the game. Then it seemed like someone dropped it on the side of the road. Like some paperwraps of a forgotten picnic.

Adding car, fixing last chapter & bugs, maybe tweaking balance would turn this into decent game, but it could have been a Strugatsky Fallout/Disco. But devs stopped climbing half way through.

Worth to pick up a mega giga enhanced totally finished version years after.

P.S. You can get cat ears in this game. Plan build accordingly.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Why it is downhill?
Ask the devs, not me. Don't wanna waste more words since no one beleives me and apparently think I'm shitting on the game for no reason. You could blame publisher too but something tells me if not for Kosh Media, they would never have release this at all.
I am not critising, just trying to understand.
They have messed up scope and feature list BIG TIME. They could develop this like 3-4 years more and it would be probably still an unfinished mess. But due to dev history, the prologue and the beginning in general is actually pretty great. Not to mention that the art-style(simply great), the soundtrack (perfect for this), the looking-as-profound-roleplay-system-at-first-glance and the dialogues full of checks and flavour are all promise you a great time. And then you proceed to Ch3 where most of what you get is bunch of unbeleivably lazily designed fetch backtracking quests which you do while being alt-tab reading codex or something because running around huge empty locations takes that much of the time.

Like I said earlier, it could have been a great game if there was some leader all along with a strong vision who would reject all the bad ideas and would keep the scope as adequate. But alas, all things considered it turned out to be mediocre at best, it really is a shame. Of course people like The Wall will continue to jizz over it just because it's (almost) pozz-free. Nothing else matters, apparently.

The most sad thing is that when you have such a sorry state of a game, even the good effort behind it cease to be relevant and I mostly mean C&C. So much work put into it and for what? You can stealth through entire game, you can kill everyone (exciting, huh? nope), you can roleplay as a retard (devs particularly proud about this one for some reason)... But the difference is that in Arcanum or WTMB reactivity was praised so high because they were/still are worthy of many replays while I'm ahem not so sure about this one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
there's soundtrack? I think I only heard some cool stuff in beginning.

then I just played UNATCO Theme.mp3 whole game to listen to something while scouting 8level sized bunker city.
and every container in it.

it's (almost) pozz-free
eeeeh
there are a lot of ladies ordering everyone around
you can be a male tormented inside womans body just from char customisation system

but the writing is generally direct and about events in the game, and plot, so it's ok.
Owlcat could learn from this how to write to-the-point dialogue.

btw I wish they would stop adding game streamers into games. in Wrath it's at least just 1 vo, but in Encased my immersion got struck hard in living quarters of Magellan

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
So basically what that Russian reviewer said, broken balance and disparate parts in need of a strong vision

jackofshadows

Magister
you can be a male tormented inside womans body just from char customisation system
Solasta's lvl basically. Pretty minor, especially since I haven't heared that the devs were actually defending that decision with any similiar statements (there was something about trannies rights in Solasta's case).
btw I wish they would stop adding game streamers into games. in Wrath it's at least just 1 vo, but in Encased my immersion got struck hard in living quarters of Magellan
Yeah I get that it suppose to mean a lot for such an indie dev but isn't special mention in the credits enough? Overall references level was not that high though, much less so than in ATOM RPG imo. Stanley Tweedle's corpse :hero:
but the writing is generally direct and about events in the game, and plot, so it's ok.
Owlcat could learn from this how to write to-the-point dialogue.
Dialogues yes but some plot parts are still suffer from unnecessary graphomania injections. I prefer when a game eigher make a focus on it or make it all as strict as possible with the focus on mechanics etc. Here we have neither.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not really.

That's the thing about Fallout 1: it had vision, and it was realised. Devs didnt want yet another D&D, they wanted GURPS for their sci fi game. They couldn't get it, so they made their own take on it. They made their own setting that became legend, and now every rpg X coming out is derivative from it.
When making Arcanum, Troika didn't just ape Fallout, they made new setting, and different system, with crafting and magic, because they needed it to make a point about their new setting.
Making VTM they used storytelling because it's a storytelling game.
ToEE, a D&D.

I cannot state this strong enough, without screaming, using caps lock or bigger colored font

STOP MAKING FALLOUT

stop copying its systems - its system are not tailored for your game; and stop copying its factions, and mutants, and crazy church people - its not for your game

but it seems like casual Disco was only one to understand this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not really.

That's the thing about Fallout 1: it had vision, and it was realised. Devs didnt want yet another D&D, they wanted GURPS for their sci fi game. They couldn't get it, so they made their own take on it. They made their own setting that became legend, and now every rpg X coming out is derivative from it.
When making Arcanum, Troika didn't just ape Fallout, they made new setting, and different system, with crafting and magic, because they needed it to make a point about their new setting.
ToEE, a D&D.

I cannot state this strong enough, without screaming, using caps lock or bigger colored font

STOP MAKING FALLOUT

stop copying its systems - its system are not tailored for your game; and stop copying its factions, and mutants, and crazy church people - its not for your game

:deathclaw:
But encased is as much as original if not even more than fallout. The setting is standing out,the mystery is pretty good too. What happened to the rest of the world,what to do about the shitty storm,also visions ? Clearly the game have some take on spirituality and divinity. While fallout is game made by edgy liberal teens. Fallout is pretty original for its time,but it is not something special.

PS: Ahhh i like ATOM and this game far more than fallout ones. I respect them for being genre defining ones and the first of their type,but i don't hold them in high regard compared to modern ones.

Terenty

Liturgist
Not really.

ToEE, a D&D.

STOP MAKING FALLOUT

But encased is as much as original if not even more than fallout. The setting is standing out,the mystery is pretty good too. What happened to the rest of the world,what to do about the shitty storm,also visions ? Clearly the game have some take on spirituality and divinity. While fallout is game made by edgy liberal teens. Fallout is pretty original for its time,but it is not something special.

PS: Ahhh i like ATOM and this game far more than fallout ones. I respect them for being genre defining ones and the first of their type,but i don't hold them in high regard compared to modern ones.
Believe me nobody's gonna copy Encased or be inspired by it in any way

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not really.

ToEE, a D&D.

STOP MAKING FALLOUT

Believe me nobody's gonna copy Encased or be inspired by it in any way
Ok,go play call of duty or wrath of the cucked,i have a bad day,leave me alone,not in the mood for dumb trolls or retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom