Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Even in Encased's post-apo women are project leaders while men are whores ...
647272CC681DDCF87DE4BA9B1117DDA922128C8A

"I-I'm already having a good time." :lol:

Indirect dialogue and they still describe your only negative response as that of a timid loser. Couldn't even be a neutral "Say you're not interested and leave."
This game is possibly the most non-woke RPG I have seen in recent years. In particular, I think that the depiction of this gay is like as a joke. It is surprising to see something like this in the cultural climate of 2021, although it is probably historically accurate for a game set in the '70s. Let's be real, the game has different issues, but wokeness is not one of them.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't seem to reproduce to find relic at the beginning - is it depentds on character stats what you get there?
It annoys me to no end.

Quick search through steam show nothing - people find panacea just as I am, but is it completely random is not known.
:retarded:

OK... so it's lolrandom.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
kind of not wanting to start this playthrough with the impressions.

is the game worth playing or not ? Im getting conflicting reports...
Honestly have enough other games coming out so

ATOM, D2 remaster, and pathfinder will keep me occupied.

just

Liturgist

it's fine as it is, but after reading how shit drops later on i've decided to wait a while. i'll do atom first.

I like it, and I don't know how people rush through a game like this, I got maybe around 20 hours played, not yet entered Magellan city but about to.
The Nashville feel was really good, and it's shame as others have said that they didn't continue on this as heavily, Chernobylite vibe. But I really enjoy the fallout world and lots of game system that goes into the story, once at a bunker I used fatigue attacks on their boss, because he's soldiers kept healing him when I did normal damage, and after he was knocked out a dialog popped up where one of the solder wanted to call a cease fire and drag their boss out of there. Was cool and unexpected.

But I love the rpg choices you have in this game sense your character can really have been anything before, including business worker like administrative Silver Wing. So I naturally role play as Patrick Bateman, perks Melee weapons (he likes to axe people if he can get away it), Influence (account manager) and Piloting (liking cool cars). Rounded stats but low deftness, fortune and pshyche. Been abusing my power, locked the boxworker away, using meat head orange as shield and murder people if I can get away with it but mostly drive the character with ambition and vanity. I feel it adds replayability if you focus on your role and don't do fetch quests that are beneath a Silver Wings pride, one quest I solved instantly by just reprimanding two clown Whites that were trying to break procedures.

On combat I found it difficult at first, with cockroach workers killing me almost instantly. But with High-Tech Enthusuast and Katarzyna it gets easier, playing on hardest. I had to play with at least two house rules. No looting rooms where the owner is in it and can see me, and no use of stealth, because that shit is broken.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Am I rigth you could only access the door in room with Terehova (gun seller) if you start with Black Wing?
No, as a black dude you will get a normal weapon like machinegun, that's all. But you can rob her blind of course, just invest in criminal, pick lock then wait a few hours. You have 24 hours for robbing everyone at the start station (the only timer in the game as far as I know, someone was asking about it before and I forgot about this one).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125482-encased-feature-trailer-reviews.html

GameSpew 7/10:

If hard sci-fi sends you to sleep, you might want to give this a miss, because every now and then, the story be can a little dry. But for everyone else, if you’re prepared to give Encased your time and attention, and overlook what are mostly fixable flaws, you’ll discover an engaging, compelling and pleasingly deep RPG.

GamePressure 7/10:

Things like that would have gone a long way to making Encased a more engrossing experience. I can understand wanting to do a game that’s faithful to your inspirations but that doesn’t mean you can leave modern design at the door. A synthesis of old school and new school would have made Encased a much better game.

I will say the amount of art, voice overs, and unique environments is really impressive. You’ll still have to do plenty of reading but they do a good job of making the world look, feel, and sound unique. Everything feels handmade and it almost makes me think if this developer team remade Fallout I just might make time for that trip back to the wasteland.

Third Coast Review 3/4:

Encased is a good CRPG that is forever in the shadow of Fallout. It’s a competent game that is just good enough to warrant your attention, but might not ever be good enough on its own to get out from under its self-imposed yoke.

GameSpace 7/10:

Encased can suck you into it for dozens of hours for exploration and complex, difficult battles with various tactics but also leave you frustrated with the way it approaches the story and characters.

Hey Poor Player 4/5:

Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG is finally emerging from its nearly two-year Early Access period and is all the better for its time spent in player-engaged development. Fans of Fallout 1 and 2 and Shadowrun are going to immediately fall in love with what Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG has to offer them, from its impressive character creation to vast world-building, from its ambient aesthetics to its divergent storytelling, and every nook and cranny worth exploring in between. You may be stuck underneath this Dome for the rest of your life, but rest assured you’ll be far too busy living your best post-apocalyptic life to care about anything outside of it anyway.

Quillon

Arcane
Do companions have quests? If couple questions + gossiping is all their content I'll get Loner perk instead.

VonMiskov

Educated

Play other games, wait for complementary patches and then play Encased. It's ok at the beginning, better than vanilla ATOM was. At least I don't want to die waiting form my characters to run to the transition zone as I had in ATOM. People here whine because it's not a second cumming of RPG Jesus.

Quillon

Arcane
Imo the worst thing about Encased is Divos-looting & the worst thing about Atom was dialogue written in that same template for ALL THE NPCs(even nobodies has a lot of structurally same dialogue & very small chance of having something unique in it triggering a quest or whatever. Donno if this is changed or not with Trudograd). Both are very unnecessarily fatiguing features that fucks up pacing, especially for OCD completionists like me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This game is possibly the most non-woke RPG I have seen in recent years. In particular, I think that the depiction of this gay is like as a joke. It is surprising to see something like this in the cultural climate of 2021, although it is probably historically accurate for a game set in the '70s. Let's be real, the game has different issues, but wokeness is not one of them.

Here's the ftm companion whose pronouns you must respect. :M

50955997648A5360B6B38D3D88855AA863BE6E31

85EE44DDED1FDF815D39DF4466497AEE7FAEA877

I don't care (the fact that this thing falls apart into an amateurish empty mess in its final areas is a much bigger issue) but there's no need to be deceptive or selective about what it is. :M

Nos

Novice
or first honemoon 1.4 chapters yes, but then you die under routine.

needs less bunkers and cheap horror and factions, and more contemplation.

Yeah, that why my first impression was so good. Truly felt like a sci-fi story in the vein of Stalker/Roadside Picnic/Annihilation, but then after the tutorial besides the broken mechanics a really strong deja-vu hit me. Powerplant failing, raiders, weird cult etc. Was really hoping that it would retain the world you get introduced to in the beginning. To be fair I knew some bad event would unfold, but I didn't expect it to turn into Fallout that strong.

Wouldn't have minded a good Fallout clone...the problem is it's such a bland Fallout clone. You get to Junktown and you're warned you could get shived on the Sheriff's front porch, instead the only criminal you meet joins your party and mumbles about Buddhism...the only whore is a joke extra from the Village People...the Fops are supposed to be savage crazy killers instead they seem like rejects from a bad Monty Python skit...The Phalanx are like a weak-tea version of the NCR, should have been more like the Legion...

Magellan is the only half-way right done area and even it could use some work. The whole game seems unfinished, it's like playing an early-release game. Some good ideas there (I loved the different color-coded occupation/castes, and the writing for low-intelligence characters is great) but poorly implemented beyond the intro chapter, and what can you say about a combat system where a shiv can do more damage than a laser gun? Calling it a 6/10 game is generous, could have been so much better...

Codex Year of the Donut
Underrail was good because it wasn't a Fallout clone. Inspired, sure, but it went in its own way and did its own thing. The best Fallout clone is ATOM and... it's ok. It could be the best Fallout clone in existence, and I'm not sure if it will ever rise above being "ok".
I agree with whoever that posted "stop making fallout", I'm tired of playing games that seem designed entirely to emulate Fallout right down to the skeumorphic UI in the exact same position/behavior.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Here's the ftm companion whose pronouns you must respect
oh I wondered about this one. but I played 0 companions. however, I still increased speech to 150 and picked +rep perk and got some talk from them, but it was not enough to get everything (Sparrow needs 50+ reputation for more talks).
The voice is female trying to sound like male.
Now if anyone could tell me whats companion about I wanna kno, because I thought it's basically a girl who believes herself to be robin hood (her story begins with fighting banditos raiding caravans for JUSTICE) and hides being girl.
In comparison, other companions are:
- funny chaotic neutral waifu who hates dirt and hides 3 packs of moneys from u on her body until you pass all of them Perception checks
- a fighter waifu in fox mask who is scared when you remove the mask and goes all waifu
- robot loli waifu with sniper rifle whos father is named Akira and calls u Sempai
and there is some male ones at least 1 I know of, a stronk criminal guy

so, does robin girl becomes your waifu on 50+ checks, or not?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got through the prologue before having to pause my session. Came back and read through this thread and I feel like I'm going to wait now, as I wasn't really too happy with my experience in the prologue and I feel like it would be better to play the game after it has a ton of updates improving all the issues. Oh well. Underrail is many times greater now than it was when it was first released, so there is still hope.

Codex Year of the Donut
I got through the prologue before having to pause my session. Came back and read through this thread and I feel like I'm going to wait now, as I wasn't really too happy with my experience in the prologue and I feel like it would be better to play the game after it has a ton of updates improving all the issues. Oh well. Underrail is many times greater now than it was when it was first released, so there is still hope.
Trudograd released today after an extensive early access period, you might want to try that out if you're looking for a similar game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Here's the ftm companion whose pronouns you must respect. :M

50955997648A5360B6B38D3D88855AA863BE6E31

85EE44DDED1FDF815D39DF4466497AEE7FAEA877

I don't care (the fact that this thing falls apart into an amateurish empty mess in its final areas is a much bigger issue) but there's no need to be deceptive or selective about what it is. :M

Wait a moment... Sparrow is a female? :) I assumed he was a male. I sincerely missed this detail with the armor I am using. With slender narrow shoulders, but a male:
image.png

(I never rotated the model to check his tits, and in-game he is usually very zoomed-out too ...)
Ok...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom