Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished Edna & Harvey: The Breakout which is a neat point-and-click adventure game. There was an insane level of reactivity that I honestly did not expect at first. Nearly every single item combination and verb interaction has a unique reaction that I found to be very entertaining and also gives the protagonist a very strong sense of character. The animation is a bit rough and simplistic but the environment is detailed without being overly cluttered. I had some technical issues with my game crashing every 10-15 minutes or so, but the autosave system would take me back right where I had to force quit out, even if it was in the middle of a dialogue tree which was nice. The overall difficulty wasn't too hard or too easy and very few puzzles felt like pointless filler (I'm looking at you, Aluman! You too, church organ puzzle). My only real complaints are that the inventory can get cluttered with items that are either useless or only used once before the last act of the game and that the ending of the game itself is very unsatisfying since it is basically a 5 second image of the consequence of the player's final choice before cutting to the credits.

Up next is Baldur's Gate (the original, not EE version) as I still haven't actually played it during all this time. It's time to change that. Rolled a Mage/Priest and currently exploring the town of Beregost without too much of an idea of what is after me or what's going on at this point.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing Noctropolis.

Looks fucking great, amazing art. Nice music and atmosphere too. Seems like an interesting story.

ZOJy0qj.png

hcUmArZ.png

hGxyZTH.png

PJTnCHD.png

too bad it's plagued by a clunky UI and atrocious pixel hunting.
:negative:

Damnit, I keep reading shit that makes me want to buy this game. Is it worth it? It looks like bait to get people to buy Nvidia cards.
Is it worth it? Well, the shooting mechanics are merely serviceable, the story doesn't have a proper ending, and you only ever interact with the most interesting character through found footage. The setting also borrows a lot from television shows like The X-Files and Fringe. If you're a fan of either of those shows, or if you particularly enjoy the visual spectacle of a pristine office complex taken apart by machinegun fire in slow motion, you should absolutely go for it. Otherwise, don't.

Honestly, I'd love to see a straight FPS or TPS like F.E.A.R. or Max Payne done in the same engine, but I wouldn't trust the studio's writers or gameplay designers to do it themselves. The people who were doing the engine work and level design for Control need to get hired at a better studio.

Ivan

Arcane
American McGee's Alice :1/5:

A largely boring platformer saved by the bizarre world of the source material. Jumping feels floaty, though thankfully you can traverse a good amount of distance, great for skipping past combat encounters (although some are mandatory to open "combat" doors). Combat is pretty awful, not helped by the fact that you run out of ammo/mana pretty quickly. Also, toward the end of the game the platforming demands become more precise, which aren't helped at all by the floaty jump, no mid-air control, and enemies that can change your trajectory when you're in the air. The level design has some good variety, there are ridable platforms, lifts, swimming, climbing/swinging off vines, and some light environmental puzzle solving. They even play with gravity a bit in the more surreal levels. While I can give kudos to the platforming, I can't think of a good thing to say about the combat. Enemies drop health/mana a good few seconds AFTER they die, reminding me of the souls from Painkiller. Often I'd run out of ammo and die before I could net the hp/mana refill from enemies. As I said before, I'd often skip most encounters toward the end by just zipping around. There are some more bullshit levels toward the end that sour the experience more than it should: a crappy maze levels littered with respawning mobs, and a "puzzle" room that has you backtrack a few times before proceeding to the final boss. The finale is pretty awesome, the Queen looks great and the arena is pretty dope too! The game is pretty short, I must have finished it in two or three sessions.

The End Is Nigh :4/5:
Another excellent precision platformer, this time more punishing than Super Meat Boy, as well as an impressive interconnected structure between levels. Rooms here have multiple exits that often yield secrets, or offer keys needed to progress further in the world. Very neat how the game does this organically without much signalling at all. I had a great time with the main campaign. Often challenging, frustration is kept at bay thanks largely to the instantaneous respawn time. I loved the twist toward the end where you had a number of stock lives, and the very finale was a wonderful sendoff. I dabbled a bit with the side, ultra-hard content, but found myself content with just completing two of them as they have much harsher levels and conditions. Namely that you have a small stock of lives/or you have to complete the series of maps in one life. Still, I appreciate their inclusion b/c you unlock them by exploring the world for those alternative exits. As a minor complaint, I wish we could choose which level to spawn into instead of spawning on the first level of every world. I'm no completionist so it doesn't affect me so much, but I could see how someone would be even more annoyed that they have to play through each world up to a certain point to start looking for missed exits/secrets.

Alice: Madness Returns :4/5:
Alice: Madness Returns ranks among the best sequels I've seen. I'm so glad to see the team make good and delivering what is an excellent platformer with much improved combat and responsive movement mechanics. I loved the simple flow of weaving between platforming>combat>secret searching>puzzles/minigames. My only nitpick with the secrets is that they typically funnel you down hallways/corridors before you reach the item in question. Another critique, though this is a more personal pet peeve when it comes to 3D platformers, is that the game has a tendency to wrest control of the camera from you upon entering new rooms to show you its layout. I get it's meant to orient the player, but for fuck's sake let ME explore it myself. Thankfully I got in the habit of just mashing the spacebar to skip this, though sometimes it also meant skipping some dialogue/enemy intros. Aesthetically, the game is gorgeous. Environments are wonderful, just like in the first game, you're in for a treat. The campaign is also quite lengthy, clocking it at around 10 hours for my playthrough. I enjoyed the platforming very much, Alice here controls much like Peach does in Mario Bros 2, she has a generous triple jump with a hover. The combat is also better than average, featuring blocking, parrying, and dodging. They've done away with the mana bar and instead your projectiles are governed by a cooldown. In sum, this is a remarkable sequel and definitely stands as one of the finest 3D platformers I've had the pleasure of playing.

strengths
-crazy variety of maps, living up to the source material
-voice acting, music, character models is all top notch
-combat is much improved and controls are responsive
-nice inclusion of puzzles/minigames

weakness:
-camera preview bullshit 3D platformers do
-many secrets force you through boring corridors
-most of the secret rooms to increase max health are just boring combat gauntlets/could have used more puzzles here
-the lock on camera becomes a mess when trying to switch between enemies when swarmed
-the slide minigame has poor feel, they were going for the Mario 64 slide level but it feels like you get stuck in mud here, also repeats too often

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Returning to Fallout Tactics after abandoning it 6 years ago.
Finding out I can, in fact, manually initiate turn based mode in CTB makes it a lot more enjoyable.

I'm not a fan of the levels though, most of them seem to be straight up slogs that don't really give you many chances to flank or sneak up to the enemy.
The only one I really enjoyed so far was Quincy because you really had to use stealth and it felt more like a special ops mission than "lol, just walk through a gauntlet of raiders".

You can tell that someone at Bethesda must really love FOT, because they keep taking inspiration from it. Advanced Power Armor Mk2 is based on the FOT power armor, Fallout 4 had a blimp because the BoS in FOT have blimps, the brotherhood in Fallout 4 being militaristic is because the BoS in FoT were militaristic, you get the idea.
Speaking of which, I did like how in FoT they did not try painting the BoS to be virtuous good guys; one of the missions involves gunning down civilians for example.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I am playing AC Odyssey and its a great game and another example of Ubisoft creating an engaging and historically realistic game set in Ancient Greece ....and I happen to be a big fan of Greek mythology
I am currently in the " Ubisoft honeymoon period " where I love just exploring and doing random quests, as with all Ubisoft games I will get to that " Ubisoft fatigue " moment at some time and then just focus on the main quest

And its huge game world .....lots of islands and sailing to do :cool:

Krivol

Magister
I am playing AC Odyssey and its a great game and another example of Ubisoft creating an engaging and historically realistic game set in Ancient Greece ....and I happen to be a big fan of Greek mythology
I am currently in the " Ubisoft honeymoon period " where I love just exploring and doing random quests, as with all Ubisoft games I will get to that " Ubisoft fatigue " moment at some time and then just focus on the main quest

Yeah, wait 50 hours more, you will get bored to death with repetitive activities. I am also "ancient Greece whore" but this game gets boring somewhere in the middle.

BruceVC

Magister

Yeah, wait 50 hours more, you will get bored to death with repetitive activities. I am also "ancient Greece whore" but this game gets boring somewhere in the middle.

You are so right which is exactly what we know about "Ubisoft fatigue " but I know when it happens I will move to complete the game and its uncanny because its about 50 hours generally for me

And its the same for me for Far Cry games but end of the day they always entertaining until a certain point ;)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Gibbous A Cthulhu adventure.It's ok I guess,the graphics are good,the story is meh and the puzzles are ok.Nothing that is memorable,get it if it's on sale for 5 bucks,I don't think it's worth anything more

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
After 1½ months/over 100 hours of Nioh 2, here's my summarized review.

+ very solid combat. If you're a combat/buildfag, there's a lot of stuff here. Each weapon type is different.
+ pretty good enemy variety covering a wide variety of types. I'll curse the tengu till the day I die.
+ lots of bosses that are 95% solid. Fun duels against humans and some cool cameos too. If you like perfecting boss fights, this is the game for it.
+ lots of content with the complete edition, I definitely got my money's worth.
+ cool indirect PVP and support from other players via AI fights/summons

* story is largely fanservice for medieval Japanese history nerds. If you know the dozens of characters beforehand you'll appreciate it, if you know nothing then it'll just be a shotgun shot of NPCs that disappear as soon as they are introduced. I digged the overarching plot though.
* music is largely unmemorable save for some boss themes, I wouldn't have minded it being more on the foreground
* mission based structure, meaning if you like the exploration and world connectivity of Souls, you won't really find that there

- heavy reuse of areas and some bosses. If you were to strictly do each area and boss once, you'd probably cut a solid 40% of the content.
- level scaling, I don't need to elaborate
- abundance of largely uninteresting stats, I couldn't tell you what all the armor I had on my character just now did
- lots of bloat in the systems, you have a dozen different sources of 0.5% buffs that like the armor, you apply and forget
- grabs on basically all enemies that also give them iframes for the whole duration meaning if your summon gets grabbed (and they will), might as well scratch your arse for the next 5 seconds

Overall, 8.5/10, lower if you can't stand the Diablo aspects.

BruceVC

Magister

+ very soid combat. If you're a combat/buildfag, there's a lot of stuff here. Each weapon type is different.
+ pretty good enemy variety covering a wide variety of types. I'll curse the tengu till the day I die.
+ lots of bosses that are 95% solid. Fun duels against humans and some cool cameos too. If you like perfecting boss fights, this is the game for it.
+ lots of content with the complete edition, I definitely got my money's worth.
+ cool indirect PVP and support from other players via AI fights/summons

* story is largely fanservice for medieval Japanese history nerds. If you know the dozens of characters beforehand you'll appreciate it, if you know nothing then it'll just be a shotgun shot of NPCs that disappear as soon as they are introduced. I digged the overarching plot though.
* music is largely unmemorable save for some boss themes, I wouldn't have minded it being more on the foreground
* mission based structure, meaning if you like the exploration and world connectivity of Souls, you won't really find that there

- heavy reuse of areas and some bosses. If you were to strictly do each area and boss once, you'd probably cut a solid 40% of the content.
- level scaling, I don't need to elaborate
- abundance of largely uninteresting stats, I couldn't tell you what all the armor I had on my character just now did
- lots of bloat in the systems, you have a dozen different sources of 0.5% buffs that like the armor, you apply and forget
- grabs on basically all enemies that also give them iframes for the whole duration meaning if your summon gets grabbed (and they will), might as well scratch your arse for the next 5 seconds

Overall, 8.5/10, lower if you can't stand the Diablo aspects.[/QUOTE

Great review, I appreciate details and you gave it a score which I always do in my game summaries. But I make my score up to 100 because it gives me more scope and nuance.

But I can convert your score to 85/100 which makes it a very good game....are you sure you happy with 85/100 because you did raise several issues but they represented only 15 % of the overall game which is negligible ?

Puukko

Arcane
The downsides account for less than the amount of text I dedicated to them, yes, and they're subjective to a large degree. Armor is by no means worthless or completely uninteresting, it's just that it doesn't have the simple yet impactful nature like in Souls. You'll get drowned in "-6% low attack ki cost" and "+6 attack power" to the point you gloss over all of that and look for the interesting effects (like -1 to set bonus requirements, or auto grave recovery, or quick winded recovery). These games get compared to Souls a lot when in reality they're more akin to Diablo. Some people love the grind, other can't stand it. I'm ambivalent on it. Likewise, it's not like having all these sources of stats made the game worse for me - it's just that I think having fewer sources but with more impact would have been more interesting. I never paid attention to what stats soul cores gave me (enemy abilities you can use yourself), just the abilities themselves.

curds

Magister
Wow. Sounds exactly the same as nioh 1, literally everything you listed also applies to the first game.

Was anything improved upon since Nioh 1? I'm enjoying it quite a bit at the moment but was looking forward to the sequel potentially changing it up a bit.

Puukko

Arcane
Wow. Sounds exactly the same as nioh 1, literally everything you listed also applies to the first game.

Was anything improved upon since Nioh 1? I'm enjoying it quite a bit at the moment but was looking forward to the sequel potentially changing it up a bit.
Yes, mostly in the gameplay department which is substantially different. Those guardian abilities were balanced from "I win" buttons to ways to extend your life and give a modest damage boost. The spirits themselves give the more meaningful stat bonuses as well as determine your yokai form type (determines how you parry grabs too) while the soul cores from enemies are there to spice up the gameplay by essentially giving you proper spells. Elemental attacks and so forth. There are also yokai realms which are those shit puddles except covering the whole area and your ki recovery will be severely limited, and being caught off guard without ki is of course bad. It's different enough that once I return to finish 1 I'll likely have to adjust quite a bit. Overall I'd say this is just 1 except improved in some ways and with mostly the same weaknesses.

I also learned how to effectively stance and weapon switch which I never really did in 1.

BruceVC

Magister
The downsides account for less than the amount of text I dedicated to them, yes, and they're subjective to a large degree. Armor is by no means worthless or completely uninteresting, it's just that it doesn't have the simple yet impactful nature like in Souls. You'll get drowned in "-6% low attack ki cost" and "+6 attack power" to the point you gloss over all of that and look for the interesting effects (like -1 to set bonus requirements, or auto grave recovery, or quick winded recovery). These games get compared to Souls a lot when in reality they're more akin to Diablo. Some people love the grind, other can't stand it. I'm ambivalent on it. Likewise, it's not like having all these sources of stats made the game worse for me - it's just that I think having fewer sources but with more impact would have been more interesting. I never paid attention to what stats soul cores gave me (enemy abilities you can use yourself), just the abilities themselves.
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying with pertinent information
On the Obsidian forums several of us always do reviews so its great to see on Codex some of you guys also practice this tradition ....us gamers appreciate it :salute:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Just finished the Kansas City mission.
Holy shit that mission is terribly designed.

As soon as the mission starts all sides of the Ghoul fort gets attacked by an obscene number of mutants, many of which armed with heavy weapons.
If you lose 5 ghouls you get chewed out by your general, which is bullshit because you have literally no time to react. You don't even have time to set traps and actually think of a strategy.
Eventually I discovered that you can actually mount the ramparts, but its hard to tell because they put the ladders in such awkward places.
You barely have the weaponry to deal with that many mutants, even sniper rifles deal piss poor damage, and quartermasters are cunts who charge too much for decent armor. Its as if they're asking for the gamble exploit.
It's a mission that highlights the greatest problem with CTB, which is that everything happens way too fucking fast.

The only good thing about the mission is the loot and the assassination part that comes after.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Im about 35 hours into AC Odyssey and still in the "Ubisoft honeymoon " period, I am really enjoying killing mercenaries, cultists and animals. I am not particularly fond of Naval combat because the mechanics I find arent elegant and I seem to have to rely on ramming to defeat most enemy boats

But so far so good as the inevitable " Ubisoft fatigue " hasnt settled in :cool:

Riskbreaker

I wish somebody would adapt the Dream series, especially Unknown Kadath and also the Color out of Space would make a phenomenal survival horror title.
There is no way to this without partially spoiling the game, but I'll do it anyway: Darkwood is pretty much the closest thing to The Color Out of Space: The Game without explicitly referencing the story.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Played Horizon: Zero Dawn due to Catacombs' post earlier in the thread and I can't say my experience has been the same. The premise and setting are interesting enough by videogame standards, and the combat certainly has some more effort put into it than what I'm used to of contemporary western AAA releases, but everything else about the game is so incredibly formulaic and by the book it's insane:

- Magic grass that turns you invisible? Check.
- Magic whistling ability that is only heard by whatever is directly in front of you? Check.
- Convenient ledges and various climbing aides splattered with paint for some Uncharted climbing goodness dullness? Check.
- Arbitrary skill list? Check.
- Tacked on dialogue that's basically just "lore dump / lore dump / lore dump / continue dialogue"? Check.
- Simplistic quest design of which 80% boils down to "Follow the glowing tracks and press X to investigate"? Check.

By the time I finished the main story and got to the DLC area I was getting CTD's every 10 or so minutes. Judging from what I read on the internet it's still a prevalent issue that was never fixed.
It's not an outright bad game, it's just very dull. It doesn't try anything new and incorporates about every open world design trend under the sun, and I'm getting damn tired of those. That along with the fact it basically became unplayable due to it crashing out of the ass was reason enough for me to decide to end my playthrough.
The fact this game managed to become a darling among Playstation users attests to the slim pickings on that platform for the last two generations more than anything, honestly. I'd give it about :5/5::1/5: and that's being generous.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Playd a few hour of Mirror's Edge Catalyst,I played the original a few years back and decided to give the sequel a try.This one is more of an open world game where you can move around and get some sidequests here and there,the graphics are good but nothing special imho,there is some story I don't think anyone cares about,the gameplay doesn't have many differences than the first one,you can get xp and upgrades now but it doesn't really spice thing up.The combat is still clunky like in the first game.The game get boring and repetitive after a bit,I didn't feel the gameplay had the deprth to keep you going and the story is crap so I gave up on it eventually,not recommended

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
It's not an outright bad game, it's just very dull.
Agreed. Your review was a lot more thorough than mine.

Tacked on dialogue that's basically just "lore dump / lore dump / lore dump / continue dialogue"? Check.

This was one of my biggest gripes. I cared more about the lead up to the end of the world rather than what's happening 1,000 years later, and I often found myself skipping through most of the dialogue because I didn't give a shit about the characters.

The fact this game managed to become a darling among Playstation users attests to the slim pickings on that platform for the last two generations more than anything, honestly. I'd give it about :5/5::1/5: and that's being generous.
Fair rating. I still think it was a very good port and don't recommend people buy this for full price. It's worth $20, at most, with the DLC, in terms of gameplay and content.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A few days, or a week ago (?), I stopped playing Vampyr. The premise was interesting, it had good aesthetics, and a decent mood in general for a vampire game, but after seven hours, I quit. I didn't find the combat fun. I was already expecting that, due to the developer involved, but I took a gamble.

Now, I am playing a mix of older and newer games. Yakuza: LAD, and Realms of Arkania: Blade of destiny.
I prefer the action combat in Yakuza, but Like A Dragon is still a lot of fun. My only gripe, so far, is that there are to many combat encounters.
When it comes to RoK, the game is okay, but my biggest complaint about this one is that dungeons are super boring. Everything else is decent to very good.

Both games have bangin' soundtracks.

Puukko

Arcane
Up next in the EA indie coop horror pile is Forewarned. This is unashamedly and unapologetically a Phasmophobia clone but it does enough new stuff to be novel. It is in a better state than that game was at launch but worse than it is now, mostly due to having less content. The idea is that you're part of a research group investigating (obviously haunted) pyramids. Grab your tools, go in, find clues as to which mummy it is, activate the main chamber and escape before the mummy kills you. There are currently four different ones that behave differently - one is blind but hears well, another follows light, one disguises itself as a member of your group, etc. On top of that, dead members can come back as either friendly or hostile mummies based on their choosing. The latter offers no benefits aside from being able to fuck over your buddies while it is cool to still be able to help them if friendly.

The game has two major weaknesses in my opinion:

- The binary nature of whether a hunt is on or off. There is a time limit until the mummy starts hunting which is lower on higher difficulties, so it is possible to run out of time and have the hunt begin before you've finished the investigation. Other than that though, nothing much can kill you during the first 5-10 minutes, unless you fall for a trap multiple times. Phasmophobia meanwhile started off with the likelyhood of a hunt increasing as time went on and sanity dwindled, which was made further less binary with updates to the point you don't really ever consider yourself to be fully safe. Forewarned can definitely get spooky during the hunt phase but for the most part, it's not.
- What's the problem with pyramids? They all look very similar. You get a few variations of the samey environments with lots of corridors that don't really lead anywhere. I don't really know how to improve upon this and make the maps more distinct. Completely different looks and lots of different traps I suppose, but there's only so much you can do when you've limited the scope to Egyptian pyramids.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Been playing Arcanum a few days.

I recently came up with the name Chad Brawnson, which I really liked, and since I have really no idea what is the "best" character in Arcanum this seemed like the perfect opportunity to use it, so I created a Half-Ogre with some Persuasion and Extreme Personality. I'm using the UOP and playing on normal difficulty.

So far it's more fun than PST, but not as fun as the Fallout games.
The character creation system is quite good (duality is a strong theme), but with too few starting points to make as distinct characters as one could in Fallout.
Combat is dull with ditto encounter design (and people complain about trash combat in Baldur's Gate?). Every combat so far has been easy, until I reached the bridge guarded by a bandit and two gorillas (yes, I know I don't have to fight them).
The outdoors area maps are far too large and empty, and there's not even a fog of war. Again, people, including a certain vocal Arcanum fanboy, complain about Baldur's Gate's maps? :?
So the only really good things so far have been the quests and the writing, which is on par with the Fallouts.

So I'm playing it almost blind (I've read very little detailed discussion about Arcanum), and the setting, story, writing, quest stuff is good enough that I'm enjoying it quite a bit (as such it reminds me very much about Dark Sun). But it's a pity that it's such a decline compared to Fallout 1-2 in some other areas.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom