Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Doktor Best

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin, Wizardry, Temple of Elemental Evil

good rpgs with suitable turn based combat: Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, Spiderweb games

good tb rpgs ive heard of but not played yet:

Underrail, Age of Decadence, Dead State, Expeditions Conquistador, Might and Magic 3-5,

Wasteland2 Directors Cut might also become decent if they push the right buttons.

So turn based is also not exactly the one holy grail as some codexian like to proclaim, they simply still have a hard-on for wizardry.

Jagged Alliance 2 has the best TB combat imho followed by xcom, but those are hybrid games.

Last edited:

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Thanks!
I have played Divinity: Original Sin. It was very fun and I liked the combos. But I found BG2 much more tactical.
TOEE - I played this, but honestly Diablo amount of monsters in a TB game is too much for me. I just don't have that much patience.

Wizardry which one should I try? Is Wizardry 8 good in these terms?

I'll check Underrail and Deadstate, Age of decadence is still in Early access but looks promising.
I have Expeditions installed, I'll give it a try again. I was turned off by the world map system first time.
I'll also have to check more info on Might and Magic. I kinda hate the world of Heroes of might and magic. But I remember from earlier research before the merger it was darker fantasy setting.

Wastleland 2's combat was crap to be honest. Despite occasional weapon jam it was pretty predictable. You just had to get good cover and that was it basically.

Hmm which Xcom would you recommend?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Im not talking about the vanilla Wasteland2 version, but the directors cut that should be released pretty soon. They promised big rebalancing (and also changes to the leveldesign so its not as easy anymore to take cover), aimed shots and quirks and perks. As i said, it MIGHT become really good if they do it right.

I would try the first xcom, which is graphically improved and tuned for modern systems on a freeware mod called openxcom. For the real hardcore xcom feeling you can even activate iron man mode, which removes the save/load function and automatically autosaves every step you take. This also leads to this xcom typical gameplay where you send out rookies to scout the region, and keep your valuable veterans in the back line to shoot uncovered aliens while the cannonfodder guys die like flies.

I tried it out last year and it got me really addicted

mushaden

Scholar
After playing aod and underrail I feel like I should step back from the rpg renaissance and play my first DOS-era rpg. I was thinking either betrayal at Krondor or the first Dark sun. Which would you recommend? Taking into account accessibility in addition to overall quality. Is there another game that is a better first step into old school?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor is superior to Dark Sun IMO, and also more accessible.

As for first step in old school...it depends on why you like CRPGs in the first place.

mushaden

Scholar
I don't know if I have a good answer for why I like CRPGs. I guess I really like immersion. I wouldn't say I'm a "storyfag" or a "combatfag" but I probably lean towards combat (maybe the only reason I say that is because Planescape: Torment wasn't instantly my favorite game ever after playing it). My favorite game so far has been Fallout.

I have actually tried to play World of Xeen. I didn't like how you couldn't see NPCs. I just remember walking up to an empty bar in the beginning and only getting a text notification that there was a barkeep there to talk to. Haha I know that's probably such a millennial thing to say. I've never finished a blobber. Wizardry 8 frustrated me into quitting because of the level scaling respawning monsters.

Thanks!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My favorite game so far has been Fallout.
Then try Dark Sun. BaK is good, but amount of travelling through seemingly empty landscape could be staggering for the new player.
Dark Sun has everything and in the right amount, one of the best cRPGs that I played.

mushaden

Scholar
Tried both. Dark Sun seems like Knights of The Chalice with less resting spots and I have no idea what's going on sometimes.

Have played less BaK but I'm gonna try to stick that one out. It seems to have more description of things in general. As long as there aren't excessive level scaled random encounters in said empty landscape, I don't mind.

mushaden

Scholar
I just got a mouse. Looking for a "clicky/action" game... been playing all turn-based for years.

Before this I finished Wizardry 8. It was ok, but got kind of tiresome. I was going to play 7 but I think I want something a little more casual right now.

I guess looking at the top 50 Bayesian average list I should play Ultima Underworld, Morrowind (which I played some before but never did must of the main quest), Ultima VII (which I tried and didn't like the feel of but I can try again), System Shock 2, or VtM: Bloodlines

What are your recommendations?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you are looking for something more casual, go with System Shock 2. It's fast-paced and a solid action RPG. Ultima VII is a lot of fun, too, but you'll want a notepad to take notes in it. There are a lot clues to pay attention to and track, so I don't feel it is for casual play. Ultima Underworld is even better, but again it requires some mental investment and note taking. I am playing both Morrowind (for an upcoming review) and VtM: Bloodlines (for Halloween). Both are great games, but character creation and development is something you'll want to map out ahead of time. You'll need to sink more hours into VtM: Bloodlines than you will SS2, and you can sink over a hundred hours easily in Morrowind and its two expansions. Personally, I think System Shock 2 is not as good as the others on the list, but is the best option out of all of them if you just want a more casual and fun experience.

My order of preference from most enjoyment to least enjoyment:
Morrowind
Ultima Underworld
Bloodlines
System Shock 2
Ultima VII

My ordering from most casual to most hardcore, due to having to reload most often, and pay attention to clues and dialogue to find secrets:
System Shock 2
Bloodlines
Ultima VII
Morrowind
Ultima Underworld

All five are excellent games, so really this is like being forced to pick your favorite kid.

mushaden

Scholar
Thanks. The controls in ultima underworld are better than I thought they would be. Still undecided though. Every game that's been listed I would like to play. Gothic 2 is also very appealing

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
I'm planning on playing the following games chronologically.

Akalabeth
Rogue #
Wizardry 1
Ultima I
Might and Magic 1 +
Ultima IV
Dungeon Master
Wasteland
Pool of Radiance
Ultima V
Quest for Glory #
Ultima VI
Wizardry VI
Might and Magic 3 +
Realms of Arkania #
Ultima Underworld
Might and Magic: Worlds +
Ultima VII
Wizadry 7
Darklands #
Arena #
Daggerfall
Might and Magic 6 +
Wizardry 8

Captions.

# Test the game (one hour, maybe)
+ Test the game, but stick with it if it is good, impressive or different

The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed? Feel free to highlight any bad decisions regarding the captions.

More contemporary games are on other list (I finished Baldur's Gate last year before joining Codex; Fallout just after joining): Arcanum, Bloodlines, Fallout 2, Morrowind, Gothic 2...

About Might and Magic, are the listed entries the most important? I'm really unsure about the caption "+", maybe I should finish them.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed?
Pre-IV Ultima are historically interesting, but far less interesting as games. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and The Dark Heart of Uukrul are essential.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed? Feel free to highlight any bad decisions regarding the captions.
I'd suggest Starflight, with a +, since it has questionable combat, and the Quest for Glory titles, including the original under the Hero's Quest name. I can't vouch for them, but I understand the Phantasie, and Bard's Tale series are also beloved.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would also add StarFlight, Phantasie, Betrayal at Krondor and Lands of Lore. Depending on your goal, maybe also a few 70s games, like pedit 5 and Temple of Apshai.

Regarding Might & Magic, III and World of Xeen are very similar. III is very polished, while Xeen is insanely ambitious, people will often argue which one is the best of the classic ones. Since you're going all the way to Wizardry 8, should include Might & Magic VII too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I never bothered with Ultima 0-2 myself.

Rest of the list looks solid.

I'd add the following:
The Bard's Tale 1-3
Phantasie 1-3
Demon's Winter
The Magic Candle
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Disciples of Steel
Nahlakh
Natuk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom